SEC Network Links and news

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The USCe-aTm game on Thursday night August 28th is about the only thing I'd be missing, and even then, I am sure there is a way I could watch that game online, if absolutely nothing else. It's not like the Iron Bowl or the Alabama-LSU game will ever be on the SEC Network. It will mostly be games of the Mississippi State-Kentucky variety and the rest of the time, it will be documentary style programming.
If only the big football games are important to you, no you won't miss much. But if you care about other SEC sports and the like, you'll be missing a lot.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If only the big football games are important to you, no you won't miss much. But if you care about other SEC sports and the like, you'll be missing a lot.
I think this is where I fall. Which is why if Direct TV doesn't pick it up I'm not going to switch providers. I'd like to watch other college sports but for the most part I simply don't have the time. Luckily my wife is also big into Bama football so me taking big chunks of time out on Saturdays to watch them isn't a big deal.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I think this is where I fall. Which is why if Direct TV doesn't pick it up I'm not going to switch providers. I'd like to watch other college sports but for the most part I simply don't have the time. Luckily my wife is also big into Bama football so me taking big chunks of time out on Saturdays to watch them isn't a big deal.
For me, it's not even that, because I am that big of a junkie, but even so most games just aren't worth watching. Browsing the first month of programming, the only game of real interest is Texas A&M v. South Carolina. Auburn v. Arkansas will probably be worth tuning into as well, at least for a couple of quarters, and I might grab literally a couple of minutes of Mizzou v. UCF if nothing else is on.

But is that really enough to justify switching carriers and all of that type of thing? The answer to me is unconditional "no." The core content for the SEC Network -- i.e. games like Tennessee-Martin v. Kentucky and Sam Houston State v. LSU -- just isn't worth watching, and when you can stream online for the few things you may actually want to watch, why fight through the hassle?

Last edited:

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
That's utter nonsense. The SEC Network will launch with 3 times the subscribers the Big Ten Network had.
Agreed. I do think some of the SEC and media people are a bit surprised by the numbers being lower than they expected -- which I chalk up to unrealistic expectations on their end, because with the lack of quality content that the SEC Network currently has, there was never going to be a huge mass of people immediately demanding the channel, regardless of how rabid SEC fanbases are -- but lower than expected or not, the SEC Network has been a huge success compared to what the Big Ten Network was a few years back, which is a key consideration given that the BTN has now started to turn into a cash cow for the Big Ten.

Bottom line: It's a success, and will make the SEC a ton of money, even if people aren't turning out in droves for it immediately like some people misguidedly hoped. "Nervous" just doesn't accuratelyy describe the situation.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Agreed. I do think some of the SEC and media people are a bit surprised by the numbers being lower than they expected -- which I chalk up to unrealistic expectations on their end, because with the lack of quality content that the SEC Network currently has, there was never going to be a huge mass of people immediately demanding the channel, regardless of how rabid SEC fanbases are -- but lower than expected or not, the SEC Network has been a huge success compared to what the Big Ten Network was a few years back, which is a key consideration given that the BTN has now started to turn into a cash cow for the Big Ten.
The concern at some point becomes how far will the SEC and ESPN go to make the channel a big earner? ESPN/ABC has been cynically moving programming to cable, for instance with the World Cup they'd broadcast non US matches on ABC, and then the US on ESPN, the BCS Championship game on ESPN, etc... if they apply this to the SEC Network, we'll see them start to pull programming off the regular ESPN channels and put them on the SEC Network. That potentially puts people in a tough spot, as they basically have to get the SEC Network sooner or later. Get it now and perhaps ESPN carries holds onto the bigger games, don't get it now and a lot of people will be begging for it when they start to get the bigger SEC games...

How far they go with that will probably be determined by how supportive SEC fans really are of their schools other athletic programs. A conference network never should be about big football games, it's built on tier 3 programming, however it should have a ton of things SEC fans miss out on usually. A lot of baseball, softball, etc...

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
The concern at some point becomes how far will the SEC and ESPN go to make the channel a big earner? ESPN/ABC has been cynically moving programming to cable, for instance with the World Cup they'd broadcast non US matches on ABC, and then the US on ESPN, the BCS Championship game on ESPN, etc... if they apply this to the SEC Network, we'll see them start to pull programming off the regular ESPN channels and put them on the SEC Network. That potentially puts people in a tough spot, as they basically have to get the SEC Network sooner or later. Get it now and perhaps ESPN carries holds onto the bigger games, don't get it now and a lot of people will be begging for it when they start to get the bigger SEC games...

How far they go with that will probably be determined by how supportive SEC fans really are of their schools other athletic programs. A conference network never should be about big football games, it's built on tier 3 programming, however it should have a ton of things SEC fans miss out on usually. A lot of baseball, softball, etc...
You are certainly correct that ESPN (and others) have shifted a lot of traditional network content onto cable networks -- of course, the old network v. cable comparison is highly outdated given current market saturation in the cable/satellite market -- but there is a huge difference between taking quality network programming and putting on a major widespread cable network and putting it on a third-tier niche network (which the SEC Network will always be, make no mistake). I just don't think that's a serious concern moving forward. You're just never going to see a big, quality match-up between SEC teams stuck on the SEC Network, and for the foreseeable future even middling games will be few and far between.

Last edited:

First Sergeant

Suspended
Jan 17, 2009
Re: Alabama Week 2 Game Against Florida Atlantic to be on SEC Network

Well excuse me sir.....I didn't know that...They try and rip you a new one on everything else...I appreciate you setting me straight on that.:eek:
dadley, some people don't appreciate that $1.50 may be a big deal for others......they are like many of us in America....spoiled......there are some people/places in the world that do not make a $1 a day for 12-15 hours of labor!

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
That article was dated three weeks ago but it is alarming. I am on Charter and certainly want the SECN. I don't think it will be on by their launch date and hope ESPN/Charter come to agreement before the A&M/USCe game.
I talked to charter tonight and the person told me that charter is in talks with the sec network and they should know something soon.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Re: Alabama Week 2 Game Against Florida Atlantic to be on SEC Network

dadley, some people don't appreciate that $1.50 may be a big deal for others......they are like many of us in America....spoiled......there are some people/places in the world that do not make a $1 a day for 12-15 hours of labor!
Those people who make $1 per day do not have cable or satellite TV in their house. They probably don't have a house either. If someone can't afford an extra dollar or two on their cable bill they probably shouldn't have cable in the first place. Now, not being able to afford one dollar and not wanting to pay extra for something you feel should be included in your cable package is another discussion.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.