Link: Former LSU O-lineman T-Bob Hebert sets record straight about 2012 BCS Championship

nickel42

1st Team
Dec 2, 2013
Nashville, TN
I read some of the comments, which seemed to be all from LSU fans, and none of them or Hebert give Bama much credit for being the better team. They still look at the 9-6 win in TTown as them beating us rather than us beating ourselves. That night LSU got points out of every possible scoring opportunity they had whereas I've mentally blocked the numerous missed opportunities we failed to capitalize on.

The fact is that no one who knows football or watched the regular season game was predicting an LSU victory in the BCSNC. There was surprise at how easy we made it look defensively but I doubt many were surprised we won that game.
Spot on.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I agree, IMO that LSU team was the best team Alabama has played since maybe when CNS was the coach at LSU.
I disagree. Florida in 2009 was the best team Saban's played at Alabama. That team would have beaten almost every other BCS title team from 1998-2013. They were spectacular.

Look at that team:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Florida_Gators_football_team#Personnel

For Saban to draw up a plan to demolish that team... man, I don't have words for it. Once they ran that triple option and we smashed it I knew we were going to win.

That game was Saban's masterpiece.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Whats crazy is even in defeat that LSU team was probably a top 10 team all time. Now what does that say about our team????
Cut off the head, the snake dies.

LSU fans, coaches and players didn't know it at the time, but their walk into the bright, white tunnel began in Tuscaloosa when we forced Lee from the game. Even though they won that night, their team was never the same. Never again could Les trust Lee against our defense. That left him without his vertical passing game in New Orleans, which allowed us to play the run almost exclusively. If LSU's defense had not been great, we would have beaten them by 40.

Lee's performance in the first half of the season made LSU great. His November meltdown left them totally exposed in the rematch.

Last edited:

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I disagree. Florida in 2009 was the best team Saban's played at Alabama. That team would have beaten almost every other BCS title team from 1998-2013. They were spectacular.

Look at that team:

For Saban to draw up a plan to demolish that team... man, I don't have words for it. Once they ran that triple option and we smashed it I knew we were going to win.

Yeah, Florida's read option with Tebow makes the barns offense look like high school plus they had a nasty defense to boot.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
The most amazing thing to me about the rematch with LSU was how we dominated them in special teams. That LSU squad had one of the best special teams unit I've ever seen and special teams was a weak point for us. But we dominated them thoroughly. I think Honey Badger had negative return yards, Maze had a great return that was almost a touchdown until he hurt himself, and we were 5/5 in field goals. Now that's what I call being prepared.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
The most amazing thing to me about the rematch with LSU was how we dominated them in special teams. That LSU squad had one of the best special teams unit I've ever seen and special teams was a weak point for us. But we dominated them thoroughly. I think Honey Badger had negative return yards, Maze had a great return that was almost a touchdown until he hurt himself, and we were 5/5 in field goals. Now that's what I call being prepared.
Touch, we actually missed two field goals and an extra point, but your overall point is dead on. No turnovers. Dominant field position. We could/should have won by five touchdowns, but LSU's defense never quit.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014

Look at that team:

That Florida team would've gotten blown away by the 2011 LSU squad. The 2009 Gators struggled against Tennessee, they beat an underwhelming LSU squad 13-3, they beat Arkansas by 3 (the same team we beat 35-0). Meanwhile 2011 LSU curb-stomped every single team they played outside of Bama (as did we), including top-10 Oregon, West Virginia, and Arkansas squads. They were juggernauts.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
That Florida team would've gotten blown away by the 2011 LSU squad. The 2009 Gators struggled against Tennessee, they beat an underwhelming LSU squad 13-3, they beat Arkansas by 3 (the same team we beat 35-0). Meanwhile 2011 LSU curb-stomped every single team they played outside of Bama (as did we), including top-10 Oregon, West Virginia, and Arkansas squads. They were juggernauts.
With all due respect you're nuts. Florida had a much, much better offense than LSU and their defense was very good.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
That Florida team would've gotten blown away by the 2011 LSU squad.
It would have been a good game.

The 2009 Gators struggled against Tennessee,
They didn't need TWO fourth quarter field goal blocks to survive Tennessee at home.

they beat an underwhelming LSU squad 13-3,
When Tim Tebow was still suffering from a concussion (and actually lied about it and should have sat)....on a Saturday night..IN BATON ROUGE....

So far you've listed two opponents and Florida beat BOTH of those opponents by more points than Alabama did. One in LSU on a Saturday night with a QB suffering a concussion.

they beat Arkansas by 3 (the same team we beat 35-0).
Actually in 2009 it was 35-7 - but such things happen. Remember that Arkansas was their sixth straight opponent with a winning record and it was the week after winning the huge game in Baton Rouge. Remember also that LSU was unbeaten at the time those two teams played.

Meanwhile 2011 LSU curb-stomped every single team they played outside of Bama (as did we), including top-10 Oregon, West Virginia, and Arkansas squads. They were juggernauts.
I don't deny they were excellent - but tell me which offense you would rather have:

2009 - Tebow, Rainey, Demps, Cooper, "Hit Man" Hernandez
2011 - Jefferson, Ware, Ford, Randle, Beckham

Can you even name the tight end from LSU?

LSU's defense was superior yes, and if those two played it would be a VERY good game. I don't know which was the better team we played but I do know that the Florida team was unbeaten AND defending national champs.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
A middle of the pact SEC team would have beaten ND in 2012.

The 2011 LSU team would have beaten them about the way we did.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
First of all, kudos to T-Bob for being the "Un-Mack Brown" about the whole deal - I even chuckled when he said he would be an old man saying they should have played Okie St but, hey, you have to beat who is put before you.

The part I could never understand from the analysts who are paid to analyze was this: why in the world did they actually think that LSU would win a rematch? Most analysis of that question went like this: "Well, they beat Alabama in the Tide's own back yard."

Did these people not actually WATCH the game of the century? I give credit where it is due, but LSU was so damn lucky in that game that it wasn't even funny. This was not aTm (2012) owning us for most of the game and us failing to steal it from them. It was not Auburn stopping us three times inside the 20 in the fourth quarter (2013). LSU - admittedly a VERY good if not great team - was about as lucky as any team that has ever beaten us during the Nick Saban era for sure.

They had NINE points, and it took overtime to total that. SIX of those nine points came on:
a) an interception in the second half where they STARTED with first and goal at the fifteen and settled for three points.
b) the overtime possession that began at the 25-yard line - already in the FG range of most college kickers.

The Tigers had 239 total yards. Here are their drives:

1) 8 plays, 31 yards (punt)
2) 3 plays, 2 yard (INT)
3) 6 plays, 9 yards (punt)
4) 15 plays, 76 yards (FG) - keep in mind they got four extra plays when we got called for a 3rd and goal holding

First half: 32 plays, 118 yards

On top of that, we had two missed FGs and a third one blocked

5) 6 plays, 12 yards (punt)
6) 1 play, 0 yards (INT - ball moved from LSU 25 to 35 due to illegal block in the back)
7) 8 plays, 31 yards (punt)
8) 4 plays, 2 yards (FG - after the Claiborne pick put the ball at the 15)
9) 3 plays, 8 yards (punt - 73 yard punt)
10) 6 plays, 40 yards (punt)

Second half: 28 plays, 93 yards

11) 5 plays, 14 yards (game-winning FG)

LSU had only THREE drives that were more than six plays and only two of more than 31 yards while we had four drives of more than six plays and four longer than 40 yards. We moved the ball on them most of the game - we just didn't finish. The microcosm of the game was that TD/interception/whatever on the Maze pass.

We had multiple things go wrong:
1) the Wing punt apparently hit the camera wire and went further downfield
2) the interception at the goal line was - at minimum - questionable
3) Cade Foster had a REALLY bad game
4) penalties killed us

Let's see - we had more yards, turnovers was equal, more plays, held the ball longer......they only beat us in THREE statistical categories: punting (they punted 229 to our 79, which usually means you lost badly), penalties (but not by much) and the only one that counted, 9-6.

Why anyone thought they would win - if you actually saw the first game - boggles my mind even to this day. I'm guessing the theory is that "they played bad and still won," but not one analyst said that.

The loss still sticks in my craw but at least we undid that one.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
A middle of the pact SEC team would have beaten ND in 2012.

The 2011 LSU team would have beaten them about the way we did.
I think the following teams would have beaten Notre Dame in 2012:
Florida
Oregon
Kansas State
Georgia
Stanford
LSU

for sure. And probably aTm and Florida State, too.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Honestly that Eric Reid interception still kinda haunts....thankfully though Alabama got the last laugh. If only Brandon Gibson had ran his route the correct way, Reid would not have been near Michael Williams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I think the following teams would have beaten Notre Dame in 2012:
Florida
Oregon
Kansas State
Georgia
Stanford
LSU

for sure. And probably aTm and Florida State, too.
agreed for the most part, but i am convinced uga would have own-goaled themselves playing in that big of a game against notre dame.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
agreed for the most part, but i am convinced uga would have own-goaled themselves playing in that big of a game against notre dame.
And slap me silly, the Irish actually DID beat Stanford that year (I didn't remember because I didn't watch that game).

I'm not so sure you're wrong about UGA, either. They're the new Saints at finding creative ways to lose.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
And slap me silly, the Irish actually DID beat Stanford that year (I didn't remember because I didn't watch that game).

I'm not so sure you're wrong about UGA, either. They're the new Saints at finding creative ways to lose.
Yes they beat Stanford on a questionable goal line stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
It would have been a good game.

They didn't need TWO fourth quarter field goal blocks to survive Tennessee at home.

When Tim Tebow was still suffering from a concussion (and actually lied about it and should have sat)....on a Saturday night..IN BATON ROUGE....

So far you've listed two opponents and Florida beat BOTH of those opponents by more points than Alabama did. One in LSU on a Saturday night with a QB suffering a concussion.

Actually in 2009 it was 35-7 - but such things happen. Remember that Arkansas was their sixth straight opponent with a winning record and it was the week after winning the huge game in Baton Rouge. Remember also that LSU was unbeaten at the time those two teams played.

I don't deny they were excellent - but tell me which offense you would rather have:

2009 - Tebow, Rainey, Demps, Cooper, "Hit Man" Hernandez
2011 - Jefferson, Ware, Ford, Randle, Beckham

Can you even name the tight end from LSU?

LSU's defense was superior yes, and if those two played it would be a VERY good game. I don't know which was the better team we played but I do know that the Florida team was unbeaten AND defending national champs.
Florida's offense was a bit underwhelming that year considering the talent they had. LSU's squad put up far more points than them that year...yes, defense TDs and turnovers helped, but that has to be factored into the equation. All in all, LSU was a more efficient scoring machine with an equal or better scoring defense. Throw in the hunger factor for LSU (and lack thereof for Florida), and I think LSU wins handily in a hypothetical game. If UF couldn't give our 2009 squad a game (and we did have a perfect game plan and as much determination as I've ever seen in sports, I admit), I don't see how they would have stood up to the 2011 Bayou Bengals.

Now I'd still rate the 2009 SECCG as CNS' masterpiece because those Gators had more talent and experience than we did. We were just as talented as LSU in 2011 if not a little more.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.