Link: Former LSU O-lineman T-Bob Hebert sets record straight about 2012 BCS Championship

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
This game has mentally shook their program. They are still wallowing in it. They did have an impressive regular season, but lost to the better team the second time around. They have not been any where near the top, and it is not because they lack talent. They have done less with more (or should I say Les with more) the past couple years than anyone in the SEC. This will be like us discussing this year's AU game 2-3 years from now as if it is still relevant.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
First of all, kudos to T-Bob for being the "Un-Mack Brown" about the whole deal - I even chuckled when he said he would be an old man saying they should have played Okie St but, hey, you have to beat who is put before you.

The part I could never understand from the analysts who are paid to analyze was this: why in the world did they actually think that LSU would win a rematch? Most analysis of that question went like this: "Well, they beat Alabama in the Tide's own back yard."

Did these people not actually WATCH the game of the century? I give credit where it is due, but LSU was so damn lucky in that game that it wasn't even funny. This was not aTm (2012) owning us for most of the game and us failing to steal it from them. It was not Auburn stopping us three times inside the 20 in the fourth quarter (2013). LSU - admittedly a VERY good if not great team - was about as lucky as any team that has ever beaten us during the Nick Saban era for sure.

They had NINE points, and it took overtime to total that. SIX of those nine points came on:
a) an interception in the second half where they STARTED with first and goal at the fifteen and settled for three points.
b) the overtime possession that began at the 25-yard line - already in the FG range of most college kickers.

The Tigers had 239 total yards. Here are their drives:

1) 8 plays, 31 yards (punt)
2) 3 plays, 2 yard (INT)
3) 6 plays, 9 yards (punt)
4) 15 plays, 76 yards (FG) - keep in mind they got four extra plays when we got called for a 3rd and goal holding

First half: 32 plays, 118 yards

On top of that, we had two missed FGs and a third one blocked

5) 6 plays, 12 yards (punt)
6) 1 play, 0 yards (INT - ball moved from LSU 25 to 35 due to illegal block in the back)
7) 8 plays, 31 yards (punt)
8) 4 plays, 2 yards (FG - after the Claiborne pick put the ball at the 15)
9) 3 plays, 8 yards (punt - 73 yard punt)
10) 6 plays, 40 yards (punt)

Second half: 28 plays, 93 yards

11) 5 plays, 14 yards (game-winning FG)

LSU had only THREE drives that were more than six plays and only two of more than 31 yards while we had four drives of more than six plays and four longer than 40 yards. We moved the ball on them most of the game - we just didn't finish. The microcosm of the game was that TD/interception/whatever on the Maze pass.

We had multiple things go wrong:
1) the Wing punt apparently hit the camera wire and went further downfield
2) the interception at the goal line was - at minimum - questionable
3) Cade Foster had a REALLY bad game
4) penalties killed us

Let's see - we had more yards, turnovers was equal, more plays, held the ball longer......they only beat us in THREE statistical categories: punting (they punted 229 to our 79, which usually means you lost badly), penalties (but not by much) and the only one that counted, 9-6.

Why anyone thought they would win - if you actually saw the first game - boggles my mind even to this day. I'm guessing the theory is that "they played bad and still won," but not one analyst said that.

The loss still sticks in my craw but at least we undid that one.
As I tell LSU fans, the two Bama-LSU games in 2011 were almost the exact same with some exceptions. In the rematch we made our field goals (5/7 vs 2/6 in game 1, I believe) and we didn't turn the ball over (0 turnovers vs 2 in game 1). Exchange the poorly executed Maze-to-Gibson play that should have been a touchdown for a real touchdown and take away the busted play to Sheppard in the red zone, and we have identical games. We cleaned up our execution in game 2 and it made a world of difference.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
This game has mentally shook their program. They are still wallowing in it. They did have an impressive regular season, but lost to the better team the second time around. They have not been any where near the top, and it is not because they lack talent. They have done less with more (or should I say Les with more) the past couple years than anyone in the SEC. This will be like us discussing this year's AU game 2-3 years from now as if it is still relevant.
Not sure about that. With all the early departures people were saying they were doomed. Thought they actually over achieved.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
F

The part I could never understand from the analysts who are paid to analyze was this: why in the world did they actually think that LSU would win a rematch? Most analysis of that question went like this: "Well, they beat Alabama in the Tide's own back yard."

Yes Selma. Even I, a lowly fan who usually analyzes with my heart rather than my head, told all my family and friends they could bet their house Alabama would win that game. It was just obvious to me.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
The 2011 game 1, against LSU had many similarities to the 2013 game against albarn, i guess it was the missed FG's. The 2011 NCG we atoned for our earlier mistakes and gave LSU a beating like they have never before experienced. I expect the 2014 regular season game against the barn will be one in which we make up for the 2013 loss, big time.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The 2011 game 1, against LSU had many similarities to the 2013 game against albarn, i guess it was the missed FG's. The 2011 NCG we atoned for our earlier mistakes and gave LSU a beating like they have never before experienced. I expect the 2014 regular season game against the barn will be one in which we make up for the 2013 loss, big time.
Auburn fans are fond of selective stat quoting. I've actually heard these:

Saban has never won a national title at Alabama without AJ McCarron on the roster and he's gone

Alabama has been on probation three times since 1995, Auburn none

Auburn has had three unbeaten seasons since 1993, Alabama only one

I've not heard one of them say this: The last time Auburn beat Alabama and played for the national title, the Crimson Tide won the next two national championships

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Saban has never won a national title at Alabama without AJ McCarron on the roster and he's gone

I've not heard one of them say this: The last time Auburn beat Alabama and played for the national title, the Crimson Tide won the next two national championships
Not only that. Their psyches allow of great contradictions without discomfort. On the one hand, they insisted all year that AJ wasn't really all that, then they, in retrospect, credited all of Saban's success to AJ. The "on the roster" is a howler, when he only played a handful of plays...

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Couple of thoughts to join in...

1. The fact that no one in the national media challenged the Reid "interception" remains proof in my mind that everyone wanted LSU to win the BSC. The fact that no one in the state media questioned it is proof in my mind that the entire Alabama media is gutless.

2. The talk about how much "adversity" LSU overcame was sickening. They were a fantastic team - arguably one of the better teams to not win a championship in the BCS era. But their adversity was almost entirely the fault of Jordan Jefferson being a mindless thug (I don't use that word lightly) in a bar fight. Seldom mentioned was our adversity in the wake of Aaron Douglas' death (he would have started LT) and the April 27 tornado. Musberger mentioned the tornado once we had the game in hand down in New Orleans but otherwise it was nonexistent as a storyline throughout the year.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Not only that. Their psyches allow of great contradictions without discomfort. On the one hand, they insisted all year that AJ wasn't really all that, then they, in retrospect, credited all of Saban's success to AJ. The "on the roster" is a howler, when he only played a handful of plays...
It's one of those situations where what they say is "factually" correct but the meaning they're imputing doesn't exist.

My other favorite is their claim the REC controls college football. Then how the hell did we wind up on probation? The one I'll never forget is them blaming the Eric Ramsey debacle on us. I'm still trying to figure out how we got their coaches to give the kid money and admit it on tape or how we got Ramsey a loan at Colonial Bank.

No, logic is not their strong suit.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
LSU did all you could ever ask a college football team to do. They beat Oregon, Alabama, and UGA in the SEC title game. They had nothing left to prove.
That the players had a let down is acceptable. That the coach let down is not. One of the worst NC game plans ever.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
LSU did all you could ever ask a college football team to do. They beat Oregon, Alabama, and UGA in the SEC title game. They had nothing left to prove.
That the players had a let down is acceptable. That the coach let down is not. One of the worst NC game plans ever.
I'm not sure I agree with LSU having nothing left to prove. If anyone who actually watched Game 1 thought LSU was the better team, they didn't watch the same game I did.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I tend to agree with the post below yours, but to butress your point - I believe they also beat the living daylighs out of West Virginia, on the road.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

Yeah 3 undefeated seasons but one NC. That's sad. We've had 2 undefeated seasons since 1992 but 4 NC's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
It's one of those situations where what they say is "factually" correct but the meaning they're imputing doesn't exist.

My other favorite is their claim the REC controls college football. Then how the hell did we wind up on probation? The one I'll never forget is them blaming the Eric Ramsey debacle on us. I'm still trying to figure out how we got their coaches to give the kid money and admit it on tape or how we got Ramsey a loan at Colonial Bank.

No, logic is not their strong suit.
Bill, I personally guaranteed Ramsey's loan on my own and was not pressured by the REC to do so. Of course I had to pay it back since Ramsey stiffed the bank. :eek:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Classic "twisting of truth" on their parts.

They fail to admit AJ rode the bench in '09.

They fail to realize everybody and their momma (not just Bama fans) consider some degree of guilt in the "Scam" incident.

They also fail to admit that every one of those undefeated years came when nobody, even themselves, saw it coming. They seldom deliver when there are expectations and don't have the advantage of sneaking up on folks.

Yes, when the Barn has a little success they crow so much that it riles up Bama so it's to their detriment.

I'll add a couple more things I'm hearing them say too:

1. They are convinced they are "out recruiting" Bama now. Numbers wise they may be getting the same amount of early commitments, ala Saban's pattern, but based on what I've seen most of our recruits are in the top 100 of one of the services and only 1 or 2 of theirs is. Furthermore, almost everyone of our commitments for 2015 are in the top 20 of their position rankings and hardly none of their's is.

2. Also, they are convinced that Gus is the best coach in the state now. Perhaps it was the "upset" of Bama, the one second miracle, or Finebuam throwing that against the wall to see if it would stick, but they actually think Gus is better and that CNS is declining as a quality coach.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Classic "twisting of truth" on their parts.

They fail to admit AJ rode the bench in '09.

They fail to realize everybody and their momma (not just Bama fans) consider some degree of guilt in the "Scam" incident.

They also fail to admit that every one of those undefeated years came when nobody, even themselves, saw it coming. They seldom deliver when there are expectations and don't have the advantage of sneaking up on folks.

Yes, when the Barn has a little success they crow so much that it riles up Bama so it's to their detriment.

I'll add a couple more things I'm hearing them say too:

1. They are convinced they are "out recruiting" Bama now. Numbers wise they may be getting the same amount of early commitments, ala Saban's pattern, but based on what I've seen most of our recruits are in the top 100 of one of the services and only 1 or 2 of theirs is. Furthermore, almost everyone of our commitments for 2015 are in the top 20 of their position rankings and hardly none of their's is.

2. Also, they are convinced that Gus is the best coach in the state now. Perhaps it was the "upset" of Bama, the one second miracle, or Finebuam throwing that against the wall to see if it would stick, but they actually think Gus is better and that CNS is declining as a quality coach.

Auburn recruiting rankings:
1) 2010: #4
2) 2011: #3

2012 record: 3-9

Anyone who has ever observed the history of Auburn football should realize that Gus Malzahn has ALREADY peaked - it's all uphill from here. Despite the shameless hype of Colin Cowherd, who actually dared claim Auburn would win back-to-back national championships, Auburn is done as far as being a big deal. They will lose 3-4 games this year and if one of those is the Iron Bowl they will consider it a major dropoff rather than the regression to the mean it actually is.

Doug Barfield - took a term serving a MAJOR probation to an 8-3 record in 1979 and nearly beat the national champions in the Iron Bowl. Went 5-6 the very next year and was fired.

Pat Dye - went 5-6 then a surprising 9-3 and then had the best team in the country in 1983 even though they didn't win the title. In both 1984 and 1985 they started the year number one and in both years didn't even make it out of September unbeaten (in 1984 they didn't even make it out of August). Built a dynasty in the SEC by winning the 1987-88-89 SEC titles with an incredibly good defense. But then Gene Stallings, Jackie Sherrill, and Steve Spurrier showed up in town.....and Dye was shown the door after consecutive losing seasons and a probation.

Terry Bowden - hit the ground running and managed to go 21 games before finally losing one. But the moment he lost one, he never really recovered. His sole Western division crown (1997) can be chalked up to the worst decision in Iron Bowl history - the one that led to the Ed Scissum fumble and Auburn stealing a win. He only coached six games after winning their first-ever division title - and he lost five of those.

Tommy Tuberville - won the 2000 Western division title and then had three mediocre years of underachievement. He twice beat an Alabama team crippled by sanctions......and so thrilled the PTB that they hopped a jet to Louisville to snag Bobby Petrino. Tubs goes unbeaten and has it written into his contract if they ever try Jetgate again. Has a couple of good years. Then finally has a losing season and they toss him overboard.

Gene Chizik - wins a national title his second year and is gone two seasons later.

Now I know the Auburn answer to this whole thing is to say that "well, Malzahn was the real genius and reason why Chizik won the national title." But Malzahn was there in 2009 and 2011 when their overall record with his sensational, razzle-dazzle offense was......16-10. So to give Malzahn credit for 2010 is laughable given the fact the only real difference in those three years was....Cam Newton. When you then consider that those wins included 2-10 Ball State, Furman, 4-8 La Tech, FAU, and Samford - all teams that even 2012 Auburn would have beaten - you have an overall record against the SEC and big names of (are you ready for this?).......11-10.

So even if Malzahn is the "real genius" of the team, he's a .500 coach against minimally competent teams. Take a look at last year:

He survived a 6-7 Wazzu team at home
He needed a comeback drive against a mediocre MSU team at home
Johnny Manziel gets hurt late and Auburn survives on the road
Do I even need to comment about Georgia?
And Malzahn didn't have anything at all to do with the win against us (unless he's somehow now calling defensive signals on third and fourth and one)

They were 12-2 last year; they were five plays from being 6-6 despite all the "they can't stop us" offense.Tip your hat to them, it was a great year - but they're in for a huge disappointment if they think is the new normal. Remember when Texas A/M was going to contend for the national title last year? Remember how even folks on this board said their only two "real games" were us and LSU and that AT WORST aTm would lose TWO games?

Their record? 9-4

Arky, Ole Miss and MSU will be better this year
K-State on the road will be tougher than Wazzu at home
South Carolina is better than Tennessee last year
The Iron Bowl is at BDS
There will be no UGA miracle this go around (although I expect UGA to regress)

Auburn could actually be just as good as last year and go 6-6. I seriously doubt they will fall that far down, but as we all know - two-loss seasons the year after a championship (SEC in this case) and no championship makes for a frustrating year.

And here's the deal: until they figure out DEFENSE is part of the game, they will not win another national title. While their 2010 defense was not all that great (24.1 ppg vs 24.7 in 2013) there was a critical difference - Auburn came from behind to win NINE of their 14 games in 2010, something you can ONLY do if your defense actually does manage to STOP the opponent at critical junctures. Auburn had THREE comeback wins last year - aTm (because Manziel was hurt), Georgia (where they dominated the game and blew a 20-point fourth quarter lead), and Alabama (okay, give them that one).

And it won't do to say, "Well the reason we only had three comebacks is because we had such a dominating offense" because the 2010 offense (41.2 ppg) was more explosive than the 2013 (38.7 ppg).

So despite all the hype, they will find the going tougher than they imagine.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Gus is a good enough coach where he's going to keep them competitive. However, at some point having a bad defense simply catches up with most teams and I see no reason why Auburn will be the exception. They had a lot of things go their way last season. Just like we did in 2009. To make a championship run things out of your control have to "bounce" your way so to speak. Odds are that will not happen again this season. Anybody want to take a gander at our 2010 season? We had a more talented team than in 2009 and lost three. It's tough.

I see Auburn going 9-3 or 10-2. I don't think what Gus did was completely luck. The guy has won on every level he's coached. At some point you have to start giving him credit. He's a good coach and knows his football. But to think he's going to now dominate the SEC (Bama specifically) from here on out is absurd. It will not happen.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Gus is a good enough coach where he's going to keep them competitive. However, at some point having a bad defense simply catches up with most teams and I see no reason why Auburn will be the exception. They had a lot of things go their way last season. Just like we did in 2009. To make a championship run things out of your control have to "bounce" your way so to speak. Odds are that will not happen again this season. Anybody want to take a gander at our 2010 season? We had a more talented team than in 2009 and lost three. It's tough.

I see Auburn going 9-3 or 10-2. I don't think what Gus did was completely luck. The guy has won on every level he's coached. At some point you have to start giving him credit. He's a good coach and knows his football. But to think he's going to now dominate the SEC (Bama specifically) from here on out is absurd. It will not happen.
He's not a bad coach...probably a good one and may be the best they've had since Dye. I agree that it's insane to think that just because he's good that he's automatically better than the best in college football today, which is what Saban is considered even outside of Alabama. It's just classic little brother syndrome that causes them to leap at such conclusions.

Actually, it's their biggest advantage and disadvantage. LBS drives them to be like us or to try to better us becasue they know we are the "gold standard" of college football in the SEC, arguably the nation. But it's also their worst enemy because it keeps them from sustaining much success with coaches and philosophies, especially since Dye's run in the 80's, post Coach Bryant.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.