Herschel Walker Says He Could Still Play In The NFL (Not a Joke)

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...hel-walker-52-says-he-could-still-play-in-nfl

If your favorite NFL team is looking for a 52-year-old free agent running back, you're in luck because there's one available. Well, he's not exactly available. Former NFL running back Herschel Walker isn't planning a comeback, but he says he could still play in the league.

"I can play in the NFL today," Walker told USA TODAY Sports this week. "I couldn't take every snap. But running backs nowadays don't play every down. Now they send in the choir section. Physically, I can still do it.

=============

I think I see the next major beneficiary of the next NFL concussion lawsuit.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Uh, no fellas. NOT the NFL, I'm sorry.

I know he thinks he can and Herschel has done a lot (I like the guy).

But not in a million years. Not the NFL. No way.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
If this were literally anyone else in the history of the NFL, I'd say no way.
But I will never doubt Herschel Walker's physical capabilities. The guy became perhaps the most physically impressive RB in college history lifting no weights and eating only soup, bread, and salad. I'm not going to say I think he could do it, but I'm also not going to say he can't. Dude is not human.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Sorry, Herschel. You were something else in your time, but that has long since passed.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Isn't this the guy who perpetually under-achieved at every single level after UGA?

Bounced from the New Jersey Generals (USFL for non-OFC members...look it up) to the Dallas Cowboys to the Minnesota Vikings (seems like there might have been a stop at the Philadelphia Eagles, but my memory's shaky).

Never mind the undeniable talent, he was never a dominant professional. Then there was the attempted suicide...or fell asleep in the car, motor running, garage door closed.

I don't know...take your pick.

Physical under-achievement, mental instability, 52 times around the sun.

Hmmmmm....talented nut job (30 years ago), or serious contender? I know where my money would be.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Isn't this the guy who perpetually under-achieved at every single level after UGA?

Bounced from the New Jersey Generals (USFL for non-OFC members...look it up) to the Dallas Cowboys to the Minnesota Vikings (seems like there might have been a stop at the Philadelphia Eagles, but my memory's shaky).

Never mind the undeniable talent, he was never a dominant professional. Then there was the attempted suicide...or fell asleep in the car, motor running, garage door closed.

I don't know...take your pick.

Physical under-achievement, mental instability, 52 times around the sun.

Hmmmmm....talented nut job (30 years ago), or serious contender? I know where my money would be.
You must be thinking of a different Herschel Walker.

He averaged 4.2 yards per carry, 9.5 yards per catch and averaged 9 TDs a season (excluding his USFL numbers).

Including USFL: 4.5, 9.9, 11 per season

Placed in historical context:
Barry Sanders: 5.0, 8.3, 11 per season
Walter Payton: 4.4, 9.2, 10 per season
Jim Brown: 5.2, 9.5, 14 per season
Emmitt Smith: 4.2, 6.3, 12 per season

If you included USFL in his totals, he'd be 5th all time in rushing yards and 2nd all time in rushing TDs.

You and I have different ideas of what under-achieving means.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
The man has DID, so do we know that "Hershel Walker" was doing the interview? Not trying to make fun of people who has DID (family friend had DID before she died), actually wondering.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
While not quite on the overrated bandwagon, this begs for some analysis.

You must be thinking of a different Herschel Walker.
He averaged 4.2 yards per carry, 9.5 yards per catch and averaged 9 TDs a season (excluding his USFL numbers).
OK, but now for a little context not given.

Walker - 1,954 attempts

Placed in historical context:
Barry Sanders: 5.0, 8.3, 11 per season - 3,062 attempts
Walter Payton: 4.4, 9.2, 10 per season - 3,808 attempts
Jim Brown: 5.2, 9.5, 14 per season - 2,359 attempts
Emmitt Smith: 4.2, 6.3, 12 per season - 4,409 attempts
Now let's think a second here.....what if Walker had had to carry the ball an additional 400 times? Emmitt Smith may have had the same ypg average, but he also carried it more than TWICE AS MANY times as Walker did, which means he got hit a LOT MORE AT AN OLDER AGE than Walker did. If Walker had additional carries, his ypg average would have dropped.

Furthermore, he was so "good" at 24 that he split the carries with over-the-hill 32-year old Tony Dorsett. In his last four seasons with Philly and the Cowboys, he was mostly a fullback or kick returner. I mean, if he couldn't play enough to even start when he was 34, why should I think he can play at 52?

Including USFL: 4.5, 9.9, 11 per season
Yes, let's count the statistics from the equivalent of AA ball with the major leagues. Most of the "NFL" players in the USFL were guys the NFL didn't want anymore (Cliff Stoudt, Brian Sipe) or who weren't any good. Yes, there were a few Hall of Famers, but that would be true of any league (Reggie White, Steve Young, Jim Kelly). Steve Young ought to be thanking his god every day of his life. What if he'd signed with the Bengals (who drafted him) instead of the LA Express?

If you included USFL in his totals, he'd be 5th all time in rushing yards and 2nd all time in rushing TDs.
Let's count Otto Graham's AAFC stats and Josh Gibson's Negro Leagues records, too.

You and I have different ideas of what under-achieving means.
Yeah "underachieving" is a little bit harsh in my view. But no more ridiculous than mentioning him in the same breath with Emmitt, Walter, and Barry Sanders (to say nothing of Jim Brown).

Walker should have been the first freshman to win the Heisman. That is TRUE. But he was a steady talent and not the breakway back we saw at UGA.

My bottom line point is that there is no way - no matter how great his body looks or MMA or whatever - that Herschel can play in the NFL today. There's a HUGE difference in a one-on-one fight with rules and getting hit by three guys whose combined age is not much older than Walker running full speed in pads is a completely different thing.

Not a chance.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I actually agree with ya selma as for as Walker being an every down type RB in the NFL..I do think he could play on ST's though, returning kicks in a limited type role, but, I doubt an NFL team would fork out the kinda $$$$ Walker would want to play in a limited type "Nostalgia" return to the NFL & it would require a lot of $$$$ for Walker to return to the NFL..It ain't going to happen...That's the only way I think he could play in the NFL at his age..

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I'm sure he'd be willing to play for just about anybody...except the Cowboys ;). Seriously though his time is WAYYY past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
While not quite on the overrated bandwagon, this begs for some analysis.

OK, but now for a little context not given.

Walker - 1,954 attempts

Now let's think a second here.....what if Walker had had to carry the ball an additional 400 times? Emmitt Smith may have had the same ypg average, but he also carried it more than TWICE AS MANY times as Walker did, which means he got hit a LOT MORE AT AN OLDER AGE than Walker did. If Walker had additional carries, his ypg average would have dropped.

Furthermore, he was so "good" at 24 that he split the carries with over-the-hill 32-year old Tony Dorsett. In his last four seasons with Philly and the Cowboys, he was mostly a fullback or kick returner. I mean, if he couldn't play enough to even start when he was 34, why should I think he can play at 52?

Yes, let's count the statistics from the equivalent of AA ball with the major leagues. Most of the "NFL" players in the USFL were guys the NFL didn't want anymore (Cliff Stoudt, Brian Sipe) or who weren't any good. Yes, there were a few Hall of Famers, but that would be true of any league (Reggie White, Steve Young, Jim Kelly). Steve Young ought to be thanking his god every day of his life. What if he'd signed with the Bengals (who drafted him) instead of the LA Express?

Let's count Otto Graham's AAFC stats and Josh Gibson's Negro Leagues records, too.

Yeah "underachieving" is a little bit harsh in my view. But no more ridiculous than mentioning him in the same breath with Emmitt, Walter, and Barry Sanders (to say nothing of Jim Brown).

Walker should have been the first freshman to win the Heisman. That is TRUE. But he was a steady talent and not the breakway back we saw at UGA.

My bottom line point is that there is no way - no matter how great his body looks or MMA or whatever - that Herschel can play in the NFL today. There's a HUGE difference in a one-on-one fight with rules and getting hit by three guys whose combined age is not much older than Walker running full speed in pads is a completely different thing.

Not a chance.
I intentionally left out total carries, as that can be skewed by number of seasons played, style of offense, injuries, etc. Smith has more than everyone, in part because he played between 3 and 6 more seasons than the rest of the folk on the list. But I understand your point. I'm not very familiar with the offenses Walker played in and his injury history (which would both affect his total carries), but part of what lowers Walkers carry totals is the fact that he spent 3 years in the USFL.

I will agree that to mention him with the likes Smith, Brown, et. al. is a little crazy. But I am trying to make the point that he's not under achieving. To do that, I want to compare him to players that are generally not considered under achievers, hence the group mentioned. Is Walker a Hall of Famer? No. Is he an under achiever? No. I tend to agree with your assessment that he was a consistent talent.

I think given the fact that he has kept himself in such fantastic shape, if he was used in certain situations in the right type of offense, he could still be productive. Not a 1,000 yard rusher by any means, but a useful tool on certain downs and distances.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.