In the "Not So Fast My Friends" Jameis Winston Title IX Edition

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
What??? So one can escape due process and justice simply by refusing to answer questions?
Yeah really - I mean, if all you gotta do is just invoke your right to remain silent, nobody could ever at any time be prosecuted for anything

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
It seems that if the other 2 have to answer for watching what Winston did, then he was doing something wrong. Or at least it seems that way to me.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The Feds don't play around. That said, I'm not clear at to exactly who is being investigated. The Tallahassee PD? The state attorney? The state attorney's investigation? FSU itself? Winston individually? Some of these? All of them?

I see a financial settlement with the victim. Maybe a disciplinary letter to one or more policemen or FSU administrators. Worst case, somebody gets fired as a sacrificial lamb.

Absent new and really important revelations, I don't see anything happening to Winston personally, or any NCAA intervention with forfeitures / records / eligibility, or anything else affecting their 2013 season.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
The Feds don't play around. That said, I'm not clear at to exactly who is being investigated. The Tallahassee PD? The state attorney? The state attorney's investigation? FSU itself? Winston individually? Some of these? All of them?

I see a financial settlement with the victim. Maybe a disciplinary letter to one or more policemen or FSU administrators. Worst case, somebody gets fired as a sacrificial lamb.

Absent new and really important revelations, I don't see anything happening to Winston personally, or any NCAA intervention with forfeitures / records / eligibility, or anything else affecting their 2013 season.
I would feel that way if it was for something harmless like taking money, but it's about rape. Now that the Feds are involved, this is going to get a lot more press, who knows, we may be talking Good-Morning-America/Today-Show-type popularity. The more press it gets, the harder it will be to do nothing. A lot of people who care nothing about football will be taking a keen interest in these procedures.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Primarily, the Feds. This article spells it out:

Timeliness of the university’s internal investigation
The 2011 guidance letter states that “schools should not wait for the conclusion of a criminal investigation or criminal proceeding to begin their own Title IX investigation.” The letter does recognize that the schools may need to delay the fact-finding portion of their investigation while the police are gathering evidence. But once the police department has completed its gathering of evidence, the university must “promptly” resume its investigation.

As mentioned above, Winston’s accuser claimed he raped her on December 7, 2012. We know that the university took action in January 2014, but we do not know if it began investigating before that time. OCR may investigate the timing of Florida’s State’s response to determine whether it was sufficiently prompt and whether any delay caused by the police investigation was warranted.
Basically, FSU could face fines or the loss of federal funding. There's also the issue of what additional info may come to light, as it's a safe bet that the feds will do a better job of investigation that FSU or the TPD.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Honestly I think he did it. I also think he'll get away with it. Sad world we live in when just because you can "ball" you can get away with anything.....

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Another aspect of this is SACS which is basically a toothless organization, but it could create issues for the school administration since the school did zero investigation. The NCAA will not look into it at all. They have basically given up on investigating any wrongdoing unless is become public record which ain't gonna happen. The boogs have neutered them completely with their lawyer up and DENY, DENY, DENY defense tactic.

I am in the "I think he did it" camp, but I also think there will be nothing come of it. The victim and her attorney seem hell bent on extacting their pound of flesh though.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Honestly I think he did it. I also think he'll get away with it. Sad world we live in when just because you can "ball" you can get away with anything.....
I'll say this: my take away from the NYT article that came out - at least as it applies to TPD - is not that Winston got away with it because he was a popular athlete. I took the article to insinuate that TPD does not take rape very seriously. Him being a hot recruit was just icing on the cake.

I don't think it's limited to TPD though - I had a "less than perfect" handling of a violent crime against a roommate and I while I was in school at Valdosta St. I hate to extrapolate that to every police department, but I do think sometimes Police Departments go on autopilot when it comes to the initial investigation of these types of crimes when it involves college kids - thinking that it always involves drugs or partying. I understand WHY it happens, because it can be tough to sort out the real stuff from the foolishness that goes on at college campuses. It's just a shame when the system so obviously fails someone through no fault of their own.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
When I saw the plural "assaults" I thought the same exact thing, Penn St. Part 2.
I could be wrong but I thought that Penn State had just hired the Florida State President as their new President. So, Part 2 gets to be a part of Part 1.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Another aspect of this is SACS which is basically a toothless organization, but it could create issues for the school administration since the school did zero investigation. The NCAA will not look into it at all. They have basically given up on investigating any wrongdoing unless is become public record which ain't gonna happen. The boogs have neutered them completely with their lawyer up and DENY, DENY, DENY defense tactic.

I am in the "I think he did it" camp, but I also think there will be nothing come of it. The victim and her attorney seem hell bent on extacting their pound of flesh though.
If the VICTIM is being HONEST I don't think it's "exacting their pound of flesh". Instead. it's correcting an INJUSTICE! If she were my daughter, I would not give up on this case until they placed me six feet below.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.