Mel Kiper taking a shot a former Alabama players in the NFL.

mikeua69

All-American
Apr 16, 2002
Alabaster, AL
http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/04/espns_mel_kiper_jr_says_number.html

"Number of past disappointments could affect Alabama players' draft stock."

Well this guy isn't the smartest man on ESPN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What a dunce. The only one you could legitmately call a bust was McClain. Barron has been solid in TB and Kirkpatrick just started playing last year as he was hurt his rookie year. Jackson has been a starter since he was drafted.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
What a dunce. The only one you could legitmately call a bust was McClain. Barron has been solid in TB and Kirkpatrick just started playing last year as he was hurt his rookie year
I guess because neither Barron or Kirkpatrick have had a 10 int-300 yard season they have been a let down.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Can't stand Kiper but he's got a point. Let's look at past Bama players drafted in the first round. Kareem Jackson, Mark Barron, and James Carpenter haven't played like first round picks. Ingram, Dre, and Trent just haven't been good football players so far. McClain is not even in the league anymore (again). Only Julio, Dareus, and Hightower had proved worth the picks spent on them. DMil, Fluker, and Warmack may turn out to be great but it's too early to tell.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
He clearly takes the time to single us out. You could point at any number of disappointing players from many schools.

Oh well, the price of being atop the mountain of NCAAF.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Can't stand Kiper but he's got a point. Let's look at past Bama players drafted in the first round. Kareem Jackson, Mark Barron, and James Carpenter haven't played like first round picks. Ingram, Dre, and Trent just haven't been good football players so far. McClain is not even in the league anymore (again). Only Julio, Dareus, and Hightower had proved worth the picks spent on them. DMil, Fluker, and Warmack may turn out to be great but it's too early to tell.
Kareem Jackson wasn't really mentioned as a first round draft pick until he blew folks away with his 40 time at the Combine.

No one expected James Carpenter to go in the first round. Just look at how Saban responded when he heard the news. He's played at G while in Seattle and has dealt with some injuries.

Barron has played 30 of 32 games in his two seasons. He has 176 tackles, 3 INTs, and 2 sacks. That isn't bad.

Ingram has had injury issues along with being on a team that didn't realize how to use him until mid-season last year.

Dre was injured his first season but contributed last year. He had 3 INTs in 14 games last year. Not sure folks can argue with that.

Trent hasn't lived up to the hype, yet. He's struggled in the NFL.

Kiper said this morning on Mike and Mike that Cyrus could drop all the way to the 3rd round. I don't see that.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Trent is a big disappointment so far. Otherwise, I think Bama players are about like everyone else. The money is great, but it's a step down for these guys in most situations. Barron went from Saban to the Rutgers coach.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I think if you take off Crimson-colored glasses, you see he does have a point. Here are our 1st rounders since 2007, not counting this past year.

Andre Smith - Was drafted as a top 10 player (at Tackle) and although he has made a ton of strides, he has yet to live up to the hype with being a top pick. In a redraft, he would not be a 1st rounder.

Rolando McClain - He isn't in the league, next. In a redraft, he would go undrafted.

Kareem Jackson - For the most part he has started on a bad Texans secondary. He has been solid, but not great. In a redraft he would likely fall into the later second round.

Mark Ingram - Whether it is a waste of his talent because of the system, or his lack of being able to adapt to the NFL, he just hasn't panned out as a premier RB. He has shown SOME flashes that he can be effective, but lacks consistency. In a redraft he would likely be a late round pick.

James Carpenter - Carpenter has been okay, but when a team uses a first round choice on a GUARD then you have to be exceptional. He has not been. In a redraft he would probably fall to the third round.

Marcell Dareus - While he may not have lived up to his draft position (3rd overall), he has been a really solid player. This past year he made the Pro-Bowl (a late add due to an injury), and the future looks bright. In a redraft he would still be a 1st rounder, but maybe a little lower on the board. He is one of the biggest standouts we've had drafted.

Julio Jones - It's not arguable, this guy is the best player we've had get drafted. He has the ability and talent to be an elite level receiver. I would say that the ONLY current WR in the league to be better overall package (when healthy) is Calvin Johnson. As long as Julio bounces back from injury this pick is beyond validated.

Dont'a Hightower - Arguably the most perfect pick for any Alabama player drafted, Dont'a has been really good with the Pats. He lead the team in tackles this past year, finally coming in to his own. In a redraft I think he would go in the exact same spot, if not earlier.

Dre Kirkpatrick - Dre was supposed to be can't miss, and got injured. Then when he came back, he couldn't crack the starting lineup until Terrance Newman was injured, where he started 2 games. He has shown flashes of greatness, but again a lack on consistency. You could argue he might go first round on talent alone in a redraft, but the jury is still out.

Mark Barron - Barron has been solid. His rookie season was solid, and he followed it up with an almost identical second year effort. He does have the distinction of playing on one of the WORST pass defenses I have ever seen, so that makes him look even better at times. I think it is safe to say he is a first round pick in any scenario.

Trent Richardson - I hate to type this, because Trent is arguably my favorite player over the last decade, but to this point he has been a bust. He rushed for under just under 1000 yards as a rookie, then was jettisoned off to Indianapolis (where I thought he would thrive) where he lost his job to Donald Brown. He averaged a whopping 2.9 ypc with the Colts. I still think he can be successful, and think he will turn it around this year...but, would he be drafted that highly again? Not in a million years.

The point is, MOST of the guys that have been drafted in round one from here have been over valued. I think that isn't as much a knock on them, as a testament to what CNS can get out of them while here. NFL GM's will look at that going forward. Our guys may be more prepared MENTALLY for the NFL coming out, but that doesn't always translate to on the field play.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Trent has struggled but also played on one of the worst teams in the NFL. The Browns are a graveyard for pro careers. I think he will do better playing in INDY along with Andrew Luck. Just look at Lacey and Aaron Rodgers.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Not to hang with Mr. Kipper or hang him, period, but lots and lots of first-round picks don't ever play up to the worthiness of a first-round pick. Green Bay's had about 1.5 of them in 20 years - Aaron Rodgers and (occasionally) Clay Matthews Jr. What makes 'Bama such an easy target for Kip(p)er's cynicism is the pro-(as in "NFL-ready")-liferation of first-round picks since Saban arrived. Who's had more, and who's had more successes with them in the NFL? Nobody by my count. 'Course Kip(p)er could always backtrack and say Eddie Lacy ought've been a first-round pick (since he's d*mned sure played like one) and that balances things out a little better for 'Bama.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Trent has struggled but also played on one of the worst teams in the NFL. The Browns are a graveyard for pro careers. I think he will do better playing in INDY along with Andrew Luck. Just look at Lacey and Aaron Rodgers.

As much as I want you to be right, I don't think that will happen. He actually did pretty well in Cleveland, but bombed as soon as he was traded. The colts have the worst run blocking offensive line in football, and it's not going to get better. The colts are also a pass first team, so his touches will be limited. I fear that Trent will never succeed in a colts uniform, but I don't think that is completely his fault.

rickvox79

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2008
Pace, FL
Kareem struggled for his first two seasons but put it together in 2012 with 53 tackles, 4 INTs (1 returned for TD) and 16 PDs. I believe Kiper's opinions about as much as I believe Bobby Knight was a calm basketball coach. I'm guessing most of the GM's and current players scoff at his opinions, but hey I guess if you think highly enough of your own opinions that must mean they're accurate right?

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
You are wrong about Mark Barron. He's played very well.
Not according to Bucs fans. Most of them are pretty disappointed with him or holding out hope he'll get beat deep. The consensus is that he's much better in run support than he is against the pass.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
The fault isn't our players, cause there's only so many spots in within the NFL, that actually gets playing time, and it's really really hard for young guys to break into those rotation spots..You usually have to wait your time, bid your time, as you're learning the complex systems uses in the NFL..It's just like any football league you 1st start playing in, as you progress into playing time, rarely do players start off immediately & plays from the get-go..From the little leagues, to high school, on to college football, if you're good enough & ultimately, you make it to the big leagues of the NFL..One thing each destinations you play in have in common..You have to wait your turn & eventually earn your playing time..Very very rarely is a player good enough to jump into a starting role..And our players have worked their way up into playing time..

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
And I'm stealing this from another board that proves Kiper is wrong & how big of an idiot he truly is..

1) Eddie Lacy offensive rookie of the year
2) Julio Jones pro-bowl guy and one of top WR's in the game
3) Milliner starting CB for the Jets
4) Jackson starting CB for Texans
5) Barron pro-bowl safety for the Bucs
6) Lester started some games for Panthers as a rookie
7) Andre Smith starting RT for Bengals
8) Dre Kirk getting more and more PT with Bengals, will likely start this year
9) Carpenter starting OL for Seahawks
10) Darius starting DT for Bills
11) Hightower starting LB for Patriots
12) Upshaw starting for Ravens

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Kareem Jackson wasn't really mentioned as a first round draft pick until he blew folks away with his 40 time at the Combine.

No one expected James Carpenter to go in the first round. Just look at how Saban responded when he heard the news. He's played at G while in Seattle and has dealt with some injuries.

Barron has played 30 of 32 games in his two seasons. He has 176 tackles, 3 INTs, and 2 sacks. That isn't bad.

Ingram has had injury issues along with being on a team that didn't realize how to use him until mid-season last year.

Dre was injured his first season but contributed last year. He had 3 INTs in 14 games last year. Not sure folks can argue with that.

Trent hasn't lived up to the hype, yet. He's struggled in the NFL.

Kiper said this morning on Mike and Mike that Cyrus could drop all the way to the 3rd round. I don't see that.
Jackson and Carpenter are starters by default on weak units. Ingram May not be utilized well, but in that case neither has Thomas, but Thomas has been a decent back with decent production, which Ingram has not. Dre still hasn't been able to win a starting job; 3 ints is very impressive considering. I didn't say Barron was bad, but that he hadn't played like a first rounder. Compare what he's done to what Vaccaro and Reid have done in just one year; it's not even close.

All of the guys I mentioned can still turn out to be great players, but the consensus around the league is that they've underperformed. I'm referring to the talk by announcers, analysts, and fans. I didn't say those guys were bad players with hopeless futures, but that they haven't played like first round picks (and they have all had due opportunity).

Edit: I may be wrong about Barron. I saw him have a bad game last season and Bucs fans noted that he always has those problems, he's been a liability so far, etc. Apparently he got better as the season went on. but I still maintain he hasn't played like a no. 8 pick.

Last edited:

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
depends on how you look at it or define disappointing. a lot of those guys are either starting or getting quality reps. i think more was expected out of guys like Richardson, Cody, McClain, Jackson, Milliner and Kirkpatrick. i thnk a fair issue to look it is how often our guys are injured once they are on nfl teams

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.