Link: Tony Barnhart: 2014 SEC Football Spring Preview - Alabama

rickvox79

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2008
Pace, FL
http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/NE...2014-sec-football-spring-preview-alabama.aspx

Tuscaloosa, AL—At most college football programs, if you win 11 games there is probably going to be a parade in your future.

Alabama, as we all know, is NOT most college football programs. The Crimson Tide’s 11-2 record in 2013 was not a cause for celebration. Instead, it has resulted in several months of soul-searching followed by a rather large dose of rededication.

“We never really came together as a team,” said center Ryan Kelly when I visited Tuscaloosa earlier this month. “We had too many negative guys affecting positive guys. There was a disconnect between the old guys and the young guys.”

“We lost sight of the little things and we got complacent,” said linebacker Trey DePriest. “We automatically thought that we (were) going to the national championship game.”

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Hmm... Seems like more comments from other players that match up exactly with what AJ has been saying. We going to ridicule them too? Or are we going to realize AJ has been just telling it like it is/was whether it's what people want to hear or not.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Hmm... Seems like more comments from other players that match up exactly with what AJ has been saying. We going to ridicule them too? Or are we going to realize AJ has been just telling it like it is/was whether it's what people want to hear or not.
Bingo!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
I think it's best that the players don't say anything about what happened. Even though AJ was apparently spot on with his comments, people tend to read other things into comments like that and accuse the player as petty or not doing enough when he was there to be a better leader for the younger players. We've all heard and read the responses to AJ's comments. It would have probably been best if AJ had simply said we didn't do enough as a team to have the success we were shooting for, or something like that.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I think it's best that the players don't say anything about what happened. Even though AJ was apparently spot on with his comments, people tend to read other things into comments like that and accuse the player as petty or not doing enough when he was there to be a better leader for the younger players. We've all heard and read the responses to AJ's comments. It would have probably been best if AJ had simply said we didn't do enough as a team to have the success we were shooting for, or something like that.
Oh I agree with the sentiment that AJ making his comments once was enough and that he should let it go...but the 'what' in what he's been saying is correct and multiple other players have backed him up even before these quotes including Norwood. But people have really been taking shots at AJ over it and some have straight wished him well and turned their backs.

Why is AJ open game when multiple others have validated his statements?

I will just stop here and I've purposely had to stay away from the main AJ thread for fear of being suspended/banned but it's gotten sicking how fast we 'turn on our own'. It started with Mark Ingram for totally different reasons but now it seems the 'former player' whipping has transitioned to AJ.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Oh I agree with the sentiment that AJ making his comments once was enough and that he should let it go...but the 'what' in what's he's been saying is correct and multiple other players have backed him up before even these quotes including Norwood. But people have really been taking shots at AJ over it and some gave straight wished him well and turned their backs.

Why is AJ open game when multiple other have validated his statements?
About the time he wouldn't shut his mouth. AJ has made the comments numerous times. Seems like he goes out of his way to make them. He can tell a reporter he isn't discussing the topic or that he's already commented on it. He doesn't have to continue to talk about it.

Nick Saban pretty much told AJ to shut it when he made these comments:

"I don't think it was an issue on the field because none of those guys were out there playing," Saban said Wednesday. "I think if it was an issue out there for any of our players who where playing, they need to check their maturity level because the guys that were out there playing did not have that issue."
So essentially, Saban says AJ's comments deal with the guys on the bench. What about the guys that played? AJ's comments don't address those guys according to Saban.

Listen, I'm thankful for what AJ McCarron did for the program. I'll fondly remember his playing time. That doesn't mean I can't criticize him for constantly talking about it. He could talk about his draft status or his preparations for the draft. Instead, he seems to want to talk about what could have been.

I will just stop here and I've purposely had to stay away from the main AJ thread for fear if being banned but it's gotten sicking how fast we 'turn on our own'. It started with Mark Ingram for totally different reasons but now it seems to former player whipping has transitioned to AJ.
When did anyone "turn" on Mark Ingram? I don't recall that.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
This is what I was trying to tell folks in the other thread that it is consistent with what I heard. Thanks for the post!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Oh I agree with the sentiment that AJ making his comments once was enough and that he should let it go...but the 'what' in what he's been saying is correct and multiple other players have backed him up even before these quotes including Norwood. But people have really been taking shots at AJ over it and some have straight wished him well and turned their backs.

I will just stop here and I've purposely had to stay away from the main AJ thread for fear of being suspended/banned but it's gotten sicking how fast we 'turn on our own'. It started with Mark Ingram for totally different reasons but now it seems the 'former player' whipping has transitioned to AJ.
Because saying it once was enough. Great leaders don't single out individuals or groups in public when passing out blame. They do that behind closed doors. That's why.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
You'll note a important difference in what DePriest says and what A J said. DePriest points the finger at "we."

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
You'll note a important difference in what DePriest says and what A J said. DePriest points the finger at "we."
Exactly. Pronoun choice makes all the difference here. Plus, like it or not, AJ is no longer part of the team. Those quoted by Tony Barnhart are. You get to say things from within that you shouldn't from without. AJ is in the role of the elder statesman now, and needs to learn to play it...

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA

Whether it's AJ or any other player making those comments they should keep it to themselves. However, having said it once learn to shut up and be diplomatic thereafter.

I'll go one step further, whether a player on the bench is positive, negative or in-between has ZERO impact. If he's half-stepping in practice on the other hand he should get his bell rung, multiple times.

Coach Saban mentioned he didn't like the team chemistry early on in the season. We also know he pulled the upperclassmen into his office for "personal" meetings and tasked them with finding younger players to mentor. To me that means that the team leaders, like AJ, may not have been doing an effective job of leading the younger guys or showing them the ropes.

jenk56

1st Team
Sep 5, 2012
I have no issue with what AJ said or how often he has said it. The truth is the truth, why are we so keen to quite someone with first hand knowledge offering insight instead of listening to what is being said. We have shown that this is the prime reason we have whistle blower protection laws out there...keeping secrets and lies never helped anyone. Now lets come together as a family and fix the problems. RTR!!!

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Whether it's AJ or any other player making those comments they should keep it to themselves. However, having said it once learn to shut up and be diplomatic thereafter.

I'll go one step further, whether a player on the bench is positive, negative or in-between has ZERO impact. If he's half-stepping in practice on the other hand he should get his bell rung, multiple times.

Coach Saban mentioned he didn't like the team chemistry early on in the season. We also know he pulled the upperclassmen into his office for "personal" meetings and tasked them with finding younger players to mentor. To me that means that the team leaders, like AJ, may not have been doing an effective job of leading the younger guys or showing them the ropes.
Bingo and thank you sir. That's it for me on this subject.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.