My son's question drew the ire of Nick... Lol

Luvubama

All-SEC
May 26, 2008
Charlotte NC
In Charlotte tonight at the Crimson Caravan, my son asked about the Payton Manning meeting... and before he finished his question, Nick cut him off, and I swear, for a minute it was as if he'd asked him to reveal the depth chart next year. All I could see were news conferences of old before my eyes. But after a minute, Nick's reply was very calm and thoughtful, and all was good. But for what seemed like 5 minutes of his reply, he did not take his eyes off my son. We laughed afterwards but what a stressful few minutes!

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Great stuff, LUB - "Saban" is a five-letter word synonymous with another five-letter word, FOCUS.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
In Charlotte tonight at the Crimson Caravan, my son asked about the Payton Manning meeting... and before he finished his question, Nick cut him off, and I swear, for a minute it was as if he'd asked him to reveal the depth chart next year. All I could see were news conferences of old before my eyes. But after a minute, Nick's reply was very calm and thoughtful, and all was good. But for what seemed like 5 minutes of his reply, he did not take his eyes off my son. We laughed afterwards but what a stressful few minutes!
Everybody is part of the process!

Luvubama

All-SEC
May 26, 2008
Charlotte NC
Every young man needs a proper dressing down from time to time. :)
Indeed! The funny thing was that Nick opened the Q&A with the comment that since none of us were the media we could rest easy that he wouldn't jump down anyone's throat.

And to the other poster who asked if he had a spare pair of pants...you've obviously been there...and totally understand.

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA
I once asked Coach Saban a question at the annual A-Day luncheon that referred to "reports on the internet" and promptly got a full Sabanizing for reading things on websites.

Of course, I was asking about the published reports that when recruited Philip Sims had said he wasn't concerned about the QB's because one was going to leave or switch positions... but got lambasted anyway. And the whole time he was lecturing me all I could think was "please don't take my tickets away... please don't take my tickets away...."

I tell the story as a mark of pride... your son should do the same. Congrats.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
First of all, how old is your son? Is he a teenager or an adult?

Secondly, I'm sure Saban tries to tone it down, but I'm sure stress gets to us all.

3rd, he is a brave man for even asking a question. I have a bunch of friends who wen to the one in huntsville and all of them were afraid to ask their question. at least your son has guts. I would imagine Saban gets asked the same questions at every stop so he feels like he is being bombarded. Hope this doesn't scar your son. ;)

Bamatide44

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 26, 2009
I wouldn't take a dressing down from any coach or any person for that matter. I think it's pitiful how CNS cuts down a person for a question he's on the podium to answer. So what if the question is ignorant to the subject matter. All CNS would have to say is "next question". For CNS to say he doesn't read the articles in question is completely false. I love what he's done for UA athletically and scholastically but the way he conducts press conferences is rude and uncalled for. I refuse to listen to them anymore. They're all the same anyway. Btw - I took my daughter to see him in Jackson, TN last year and it was boring as hell! I just wanted her to have the experience.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I wouldn't take a dressing down from any coach or any person for that matter. I think it's pitiful how CNS cuts down a person for a question he's on the podium to answer. So what if the question is ignorant to the subject matter. All CNS would have to say is "next question". For CNS to say he doesn't read the articles in question is completely false. I love what he's done for UA athletically and scholastically but the way he conducts press conferences is rude and uncalled for. I refuse to listen to them anymore. They're all the same anyway. Btw - I took my daughter to see him in Jackson, TN last year and it was boring as hell! I just wanted her to have the experience.
I always find his interviews quite entertaining and informative. I get tired of hearing the reporters ask the same questions over and over expecting to get a different answer. When they interview him after the first half you can really feel how much he knows about the game of football.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Maybe I missed something, but what was wrong with the question?
I think Bama fans are expected to realize Saban has a very short fuse and a tendency to berate people who ask questions he doesn't like.

I'm guessing he doesn't act that way when trying to recruit. Maybe the way he snaps at reporters and fans is one of his attractions as far as recruits go. Something the recruits enjoy seeing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.