Northwestern Votes on Unionizing Today

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The vote hasn't happened, yet. However, Northwestern folks seem to believe there will be 60 "no" votes out of 75.

A former walk-on has spoken about this:

@ESPN_BigTen Former NU walk-on Michael Odom, who quit team after 2013 season, said he's pro-union and that players have been pressured to vote no.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
The vote hasn't happened, yet. However, Northwestern folks seem to believe there will be 60 "no" votes out of 75.

A former walk-on has spoken about this:

@ESPN_BigTen Former NU walk-on Michael Odom, who quit team after 2013 season, said he's pro-union and that players have been pressured to vote no.
I had read somewhere that the coaches and administrators were pressuring no votes on the players. As with any unionization effort your employer has to stay on the sidelines. If the vote fails you can bet there will be an appeal filed citing tampering with the vote.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
It will be interesting to see how the vote, regardless of outcome influences change (if any) with the NCAA. From what I've read, the vote itself is not as meaningful as the NLRB ruling that athletes are school employees.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
FWIW, I think the anti-union voices at Northwestern here are probably right.

A lot of big(ger) schools out there could, and would, deal with unions and let that be it, but a small, athletically unsuccessful school like Northwestern, that is an elite academic powerhouse and really has no fundamental need for big-time college athletics? Wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if they just folded shop entirely.

Remember, sometimes threats aren’t really threats, just predictions.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
It will be interesting to see how the vote, regardless of outcome influences change (if any) with the NCAA. From what I've read, the vote itself is not as meaningful as the NLRB ruling that athletes are school employees.
Which blows my mind that they made such a ruling. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.