Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Makes Some Racist Comments

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Look, there ARE too many instances of invoking race cards and screaming hysterical (Don Imus, the Duke lacrosse rape case) over nothing.

Then
But on the other hand, there are things things that need to be called out, like Clippers owner Donald Sterling, who has a checkered (pardon the pun) past when it comes to race relations. Apparently, he has a LOT to say about not wanting his half Latina/half-black girlfriend bringing her black friends to basketball games.

(Check it out on TMZ.com - I won't link because he drops an F-bomb about seven minutes in.

Be forewarned that some of it will be rather shocking.

A few snippets:

-- "It bothers me a lot that you want to broadcast that you’re associating with black people. Do you have to?" (3:30)

-- "You can sleep with [black people]. You can bring them in, you can do whatever you want. The little I ask you is not to promote it on that ... and not to bring them to my games." (5:15)

-- "...Don't put him [Magic] on an Instagram for the world to have to see so they have to call me. And don't bring him to my games." (9:13)

And he's not even a Southern good ole boy.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Hmm. Listened to the recording twice, and it sounds to me like he's not so much butthurt over his girl running with black men or even with any other men, but rather over his belief that his girl is flaunting the fact through her instagram pictures (You can do anything you want - you can sleep with them for all I care, just don't broadcast it). It sounds like he's been getting phone calls and questions from people asking how he feels about his girl sleeping with black men. From the recording, it sounds like he feels she's putting him in the public position where his manhood is challenged, and he understandably asks her to stop putting him in that position.

Not saying he's not racist - I understand he has a history with housing discrimination. Just that in this particular situation, it sounds to me like there's more to the story than the "white man doesn't want to be around black people" story line. She's who keeps steering the conversation back to the issue of race, not him.

I've got to wonder who recorded the conversation and why? I don't think it was him.

Edit: Added the video below. Believe all profanity has been censored.

Last edited:

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
No excuses from me. I just interpret his comments differently than you apparently do. Like I said, I'm not saying he isn't a bigot douchebag. I just think that this recorded argument seems to me to have more to do with his perception that his girlfriend is publicly sleeping around and making him look like a fool.

No excuses from me. I just interpret his comments differently than you apparently do. Like I said, I'm not saying he isn't a bigot douchebag. I just think that this recorded argument seems to me to have more to do with his perception that his girlfriend is publicly sleeping around and making him look like a fool.
Wow! Really?! All she did was take a picture with Magic Johnson. Who wouldn't do that? Oh, the racist man wouldn't. Let's just call a spade a spade here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I see Pacaderma's point but here's the problem: I don't see where basically saying, "Let's be hypocritical about it" (as Sterling basically is) is really any better of an argument. The guy is wealthy and an old man - he can say pretty much what he wants and what he ought to tell his friends (if he loves his girl) is it's none of their damn business. What exactly are they going to do to him?

I will admit to being a little apprehensive about ONE thing here - why is she recording the phone call? I mean when Linda Tripp did the same basic thing with Monica Lewinsky, she got pilloried from coast to coast even though she had more reason to do that than the average person (Tripp had worked in the WH travel office and refused to cover for Hillary's firing of them and was threatened with perjury - that's how she knew to fill Monica in on that and she taped to defend herself. I'm not defending it, I'm just putting it in context). She was BAD to do that.

Now all of a sudden......well if it's for "the good," it's ok. I realize social media has changed stuff dramatically and I am NOT defending the statements of Sterling.

In fact let's be blunt.....if his comments were about gay people in this present time, he'd already have been suspended. And he should be suspended at a MINIMUM for a year.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
I'm not defending Sterling's position - don't know how else to say it any more clearly.
My interpretation of the recording is how you stated in your first post. For all I know, he may be the biggest racist D-bag on the planet (I have no prior knowledge of him nor do I know anything about him other than a team owner).

Not defending him at all but, I was really expecting it to be worse than it was.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
here's the problem: I don't see where basically saying, "Let's be hypocritical about it" (as Sterling basically is) is really any better of an argument. The guy is wealthy and an old man - he can say pretty much what he wants and what he ought to tell his friends (if he loves his girl) is it's none of their damn business. What exactly are they going to do to him?
I agree. And I'm not saying that his hypocritical argument to keep it on the down low (if that's actually what he's arguing) makes it all ok. If that's his argument, it definitely isn't much better.

I'm just saying that in this specific conversation, his statements seem more motivated by feeling personally and publicly humiliated and insecure in his relationship than they are motivated by racial intolerance. Not to say that he isn't racially intolerant. Just that I don't think that's the root of his position in the argument.

But that's just me. I'm frequently wrong.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
The women he sent the texts to is his girlfriend/mistress. He has a wife who is suing the girl\friend. He doesn't want the girl friend to bring black guys to the game yet he flaunts his girlfriend at the games. Bet his wife loves that. In Maysville we call that kind of fella..... scum. really rich scum.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Somebody somewhere said something bad about someone else generally? Apparently commentary by an old man is far, far worse than actually beating or killing a real person. And it didn't take long for the irony, as Jesse "Hymietown" Jackson calls for boycott of Clippers games.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
so you're saying it's no big deal?
It's less of a big deal than a racist physically attacking another person or constantly harassing someone. It's less of a big deal than a racist trying to ruin someone's career or cause one some other type of financial harm. The NBA will deal out their punishment to protect their brand as they should, and I get that. But, this whole parade of commentary by those offended is laughably over the top. What we have here, if it's true, are offensive private comments by a pathetic old man. But, they're still just comments. Sterling didn't beat anyone up. Didn't force them to play without getting paid (tens of millions of dollars). Just comments. It's way down on my "big deal" meter.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Whether or not we agree or disagree with his statement, we all have a right to say what we feel like, having said that, I hope he's shamed into admitting what he said was absolutely wrong & he publicly apologizes to Magic & to all African Americans for his obvious hateful racial remark ..I would think if he doesn't right this wrong..The NBA will have to take some sort of actions against this rich bigot & wish they would fine the living hell out of him & use that money by giving it to a charity of some kind..JMHO..Can they make him sell his team cause this kinda racial remarks is a black eye to the sport, not saying they should, just asking do they have the authority to make an owner sell their team??????..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.