David Langner has passed away

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I knew David when he played for Auburn. One of the toughest football players to ever walk on a field. Many people actually described him as "Down right mean". I know he wasn't afraid of nothing or no one. I hate to hear this. sip

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
  1. I knew David when he played for Auburn. One of the toughest football players to ever walk on a field. Many people actually described him as "Down right mean". I know he wasn't afraid of nothing or no one. I hate to hear this. sip

This thread poses a dilemma. My condolences to his family. But David was by far the dirtiest football player I've ever watched. Incredible competitor. Way undersized, but never passed up a fight or a cheap shot.

I had a good friend who played with David in high school who said even his teammates wouldn't turn their back on him. But he was some football player.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
This thread poses a dilemma. My condolences to his family. But David was by far the dirtiest football player I've ever watched. Incredible competitor. Way undersized, but never passed up a fight or a cheap shot.

I had a good friend who played with David in high school who said even his teammates wouldn't turn their back on him. But he was some football player.
As I said, "He was tough". But when you're 40 years removed from those younger days, I think it's time to give a grown man the benefit of the doubt. I knew him to be a hard hitter, a tough guy, but a decent enough guy. I don't remember him ever giving a dirty shot, just a hard one.
He was best friends with Doctor Buddy Thorne, one of my best friends in my hometown of Jasper, Alabama. That's how I met him.
Personally, as a 17 year old, I admired him, was scared to death of him, and couldn't believe I was actually sitting in the same room with the guy that ran back the two punts against Bama. He never brought it up. He was just himself, and he was o.k..
sip

Luvubama

All-SEC
May 26, 2008
Charlotte NC
So I'm many years removed from that game, where I sat in the bleachers where those two punts were run back -- and that Langner name still is etched in my memory!

Who remembers the bleachers?

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Sad news.

He sure ruined an otherwise fine Saturday afternoon for me back in December 1972.

RIP.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I talked to him once about the punt blocks and he told me that Coach Jordan saw a flaw in Bama's punt blocking scheme, that Hannah would tend to step outside to take on the first rusher.
So Auburn stacked Newton behind the first rusher and sent him inside when Hannah took on the first rusher. He also said that Gant lined up closer to the line of scrimmage on the second punt and that made it easier. Obviously, whatever they did worked. I don't think we had another punt blocked the entire year, and they blocked two in three minutes.
At any rate, I just hate to see see former football players, my age, or just a little older, who I remember, when we were young bucks, passing away.
Makes me feel old, but also makes me know that I've been fortunate to know some very special people.
Langner was one of a kind. Sucker could flat out play some football.
Honestly though, the big hero on those punt blocks was Bill Newton. If he don't block them, David couldn't have returned them.
I knew Newton as well. He played against me at Fayette High School. Both he and his brother Bob were really good players.
sip

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
RIP Mr Langer..I hate to see any of our instate college football players pass away..Those two blocks will be forever remembered in our storied rivalry..

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I knew David when he played for Auburn. One of the toughest football players to ever walk on a field. Many people actually described him as "Down right mean". I know he wasn't afraid of nothing or no one. I hate to hear this. sip
David was a good sort of country boy that took nothing off anybody but he was a nice guy. He was a great competitor and tough as you said. He was the kind of guy you loved when he was on your team and hated when he was on the opposing team.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
David was a good sort of country boy that took nothing off anybody but he was a nice guy. He was a great competitor and tough as you said. He was the kind of guy you loved when he was on your team and hated when he was on the opposing team.
Absolutely right.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
The name is famous in Iron Bowl history but it is a sad day that anyone passes away, friend or rival on the field.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
I heard him speak shortly after the "Punt, Bama, Punt" game. His Dad was A.D. & head football coach at my jr high in FL, so David spoke at the athletic banquet. (This was before I had acknowledged the reality of my near-total lack of athletic talent. ;) ) Even at my then-young age, I recall that I liked David more than his Dad.

RIP!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.