Link: SEC Presidents Vote to Keep 8 Game Schedule

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

After meeting Sunday, the Southeastern Conference presidents have decided on the future of the football schedules.

They opted to keep the eight-game league season, but will keep the traditional cross-division rivalries. That means the Alabama-Tennessee and Auburn-Georgia games will continue annually. The eighth game will rotate with the other six teams in the opposite division.

The biggest change is a new requirement.

Schools must play at least one opponent from the major four conferences (ACC, Big 12, Big Ten or Pac-12) beginning in 2016.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I blame us for not paying the REC's asking price. *blue font*

Seriously though I really wish we would have gone a 9 game conference schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
And let the bayou whining begin. Same ole moan and groan. When ADs and head coaches continue to speak at fever pitch about schedule equality, I would think a little good faith "action" on their part would be in order. Perhaps being proactive about a 9 game SEC schedule would level the playing field? More attrition, more fun, for one and all. If Alleva and Miles want their west comrades to stand longer in the line of fire, they just need to show some good faith and assume the position themselves.

Kinda puts me in mind of an old Kenny Stabler quote I heard years ago: "Your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying."

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I'm glad the annual Bama-UT game survived. I just wish that they had required that TWO of the out of conference games come from the other big 5 conferences.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Meh. Wish they would have moved to 9. It is a little absurd that a player could be on the team 4, 5 years and never play at least a third of the other division in the SEC.

Still, the surest way to kill a conference is to get rid of historical rivalries. See Big 12.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I wanted the 9 game sec schedule but oh well. I like the idea of forcing teams to play a tough out of conference game. Alabama and LSU have been doing it for awhile now, other teams have as well. Texas A&M needs to man up now. Florida needs to play an out of conference game outside the state of Florida.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
I think the 8 game league schedule is going to come back and bite the SEC.

As a season ticket holder, I was for the Saban plan which was a 9 SEC game schedule, 1 top 5 conference opponent, and then 2 other games.

I am ok with the 8 game league schedule, as long as we stop scheduling the likes of Western Carolina, Georgia State, etc. and any other 1AA teams. There should be enough Division 1 (FBS) teams to get to come in and play us. I didn't get season tickets to see these garbage games. I got them to see the SEC games and top notch OOC games.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If any fanbase complains to an Alabama fan about 8 games, just remind them Nick Saban is the only SEC coach in favor of a 9 game conference schedule.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I would prefer that the conference had moved to the 9 game schedule and require tougher out of conference scheduling (though, based on Saban's tenure, that rule doesn't materially impact Bama). With all the attention the leagues scheduling has been getting, I fear that the committee will be influenced against SEC teams due to perceived weaker schedules.

I'm probably overly paranoid though.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Well, if we win the SEC west every year we will be playing a 9 game conference schedule. The 9th game will be in the SEC Championship game. I was sorta for the Saban plan of 6-1-2, but if we take care of business we will have a 6-1-2 SEC schedule. And we won't, hopefully, have to play an SEC team twice, during the season and in the SECCG. I don't think Tenercee will be in that game for a while.

LSU has no history/tradition. I guess they should have supported Tulane staying in the conference so they could have a TRADITIONAL rival. However, I don't think Tulane would have been placed in the East. I'm sure they would like for Vandy to be their traditional rival. Tenercee has traditional been a strong opponent for anyone. So, why is the LSU AD crying? Tenercee has been a long traditional rival. Sorry, LSU that you don't have one and want others not to have one!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I must confess I love how the SEC just solved a problem that (with one exception) does not even exist. So teams are now required to play an OOC from the Big Five? OK, so I take a look at the schedules for the last five years of all SEC teams (last two for aTm and Mizzou) and I think we should call this proposal "The Kentucky Wildcats Mandate."

Here are the teams who did not play a Big Five opponent in the last five seasons (2009-13)

1) 2009-10-11-12-13 Kentucky
2) 2012 Arkansas (caveat - they had a series with aTm scheduled when the latter was in the Big 12 that overnight became a divisional game, so I'll spot them this one)
3) 2010-11 Mississippi State
4) 2009-2010 Ole Miss (no doubt drawn up by Houston Nutt, who specialized in this garbage at Arky)
5) 2011 Tennessee
6) 2013 Vanderbilt

So out of a possible 64 teams that could have played this new proposed schedule, 52 did. And five of the 12 that didn't belong to the same team, Kentucky. I'll spot the Vols because they usually do schedule well OOC.

But we just had a "new proposal" that just said, "Everybody except Kentucky, do what you've been doing."

And Kentucky once played Indiana something like 37 times in 40 years.

And Pat Forde ought to be fired. If you're an analyst and don't know your facts any better than to make a dumb comment like that, you don't need to be an analyst.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I would prefer that the conference had moved to the 9 game schedule and require tougher out of conference scheduling (though, based on Saban's tenure, that rule doesn't materially impact Bama). With all the attention the leagues scheduling has been getting, I fear that the committee will be influenced against SEC teams due to perceived weaker schedules.

A nine game schedule reduces the likelihood of getting multiple teams into the playoff. In addition, the selection committee will almost certainly look at OOC schedules when comparing teams with similar records.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
My personal preference was to go to a 9 game schedule and drop the cross division rivalry game. I like the idea of playing at least 1 team from the "other power conferences". Wazzou, Utah, Cal, Indiana, Minnesota, Rutgers, Maryland, Duke, Wake and UVA are going to get a lot of road trips in the future.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
We have had a Kickoff Classic every year since 2008 except for our home and home with Penn St. So this new rule is no big deal, but I like it.

I also wish we had gone to a nine game schedule because taking 12 years to play everyone is silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

I agree with you. I had rather play a tougher schedule than leave it to the voters.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
I like the big neutral game at the start of season. The announcers and fans have appreciated the bowl-like feel that comes with it. But, why, why, why, would we not set these games up during the off season leading up to the new campaign? West Virgina's record, makes this game feel less than nationally relevant. If the opponent can't bring the preseason pedigree of a Clemson or Michigan, leave them alone. We are much better off scheduling a home and home with Michigan State.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.