Link: SEC Presidents Vote to Keep 8 Game Schedule

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I like the big neutral game at the start of season. The announcers and fans have appreciated the bowl-like feel that comes with it. But, why, why, why, would we not set these games up during the off season leading up to the new campaign? West Virgina's record, makes this game feel less than nationally relevant. If the opponent can't bring the preseason pedigree of a Clemson or Michigan, leave them alone. We are much better off scheduling a home and home with Michigan State.
I agree. I absolutely do not understand why dropped the Michigan State series. I wish Bama would take the lead and play two "Name" out of conference games a year.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
I agree. I absolutely do not understand why dropped the Michigan State series. I wish Bama would take the lead and play two "Name" out of conference games a year.

Alabama has been manning up since way back.

1978 Alabama championship schedule:
Nebraska
Missouri
Southern California
Vanderbilt
Washington
Florida
Tennessee
Virgina Tech
Mississippi State
LSU
The barn
Penn State (sugar bowl)

With that schedule, 12 games seems about right.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I wanted the 9 game sec schedule but oh well. I like the idea of forcing teams to play a tough out of conference game. Alabama and LSU have been doing it for awhile now, other teams have as well. Texas A&M needs to man up now. Florida needs to play an out of conference game outside the state of Florida.
Not a Gator fan -- but they play FSU every year -- they haven't been the problem.....

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Alabama has been manning up since way back.

1978 Alabama championship schedule:
Nebraska
Missouri
Southern California
Vanderbilt
Washington
Florida
Tennessee
Virgina Tech
Mississippi State
LSU
The barn
Penn State (sugar bowl)

With that schedule, 12 games seems about right.
Those were some great schedules in the late 70's and early 80's. Every opponent on that '78 schedule was played "home and home" except maybe Virginia Tech. I think even playing Duke like we did in 2010 is much better than playing Western Carolina!

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I think the 8 game league schedule is going to come back and bite the SEC.

As a season ticket holder, I was for the Saban plan which was a 9 SEC game schedule, 1 top 5 conference opponent, and then 2 other games.

I am ok with the 8 game league schedule, as long as we stop scheduling the likes of Western Carolina, Georgia State, etc. and any other 1AA teams. There should be enough Division 1 (FBS) teams to get to come in and play us. I didn't get season tickets to see these garbage games. I got them to see the SEC games and top notch OOC games.
I agree... I could see Saban trying to schedule a marquee game to start the season at a neutral site ever year. That would potentially allow us to have 7 games in Tuscaloosa every year, 4 conference and 3 non-conference. With the 3 non-conference, schedule a CUSA team such as Southern Miss, UNT, Rice, East Carolina every year, an AAC team such as SMU, Cincy, Houston and a MWC school such as Col St, Fresno St, Wyoming. They would almost always come to Tuscaloosa.

A non-conference slate of teams from CUSA/MWC and AAC would be a lot better than 1AA and sunbelt schools.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I must confess I love how the SEC just solved a problem that (with one exception) does not even exist.
I do really like what they did though. They basically said it ain't broke. I was annoyed to hear that Alabama didn't already have a big 5 OOC, it was like ok, sure... that game that doesn't exist was always nationally televised.

But, it makes sense. It should give a tiny bump to the conference's overall SoS, which in turn will help when it comes time to make calculations.

Also, I have to remind everyone that this isn't a video game. Alabama was beat up and tired by the time they played Auburn last year. Is the resolution to make them more beat up and more tired?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
According to selma's post only Kentucky has. Florida has not played a team from outside the state of Florida since 1991 (Syracuse). That is just a fact.
Not really the point.

I said Kentucky has not played a Big Five OOC in the last five years.

Florida plays FSU every single year. The "outside the state of Florida" is meaningless when they play a team that is usually ranked every single year - and is currently the national champs.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Not really the point.

I said Kentucky has not played a Big Five OOC in the last five years.

Florida plays FSU every single year. The "outside the state of Florida" is meaningless when they play a team that is usually ranked every single year - and is currently the national champs.
so if Auburn weren't in the SEC, we would get a pass?

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
The LSU people need to zip it. You don't hear Florida complaining. As a whole the cross division games are balanced for tradition, fan interest and from a competitive standpoint. Historically Alabama and Tennessee are the top two programs in the SEC. The Vols have been down a while but we were too and most outside the state of Louisiana remember that.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
The LSU people need to zip it. You don't hear Florida complaining. As a whole the cross division games are balanced for tradition, fan interest and from a competitive standpoint. Historically Alabama and Tennessee are the top two programs in the SEC. The Vols have been down a while but we were too and most outside the state of Louisiana remember that.
What I continue to take from this Alleva/Miles tirade, Bama is still the biggest elephant in the room. When you are in these teams head, you are competitively half way home. Florida plays LSU and Bama this season and nary a peep. Man up bayou boys!

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
I wish it would move to 9 games also. Because with this new playoff system they got this year, their gonna be talking about strength of schedule. And adding 1 more win over an SEC opponent would probably add into the conversation nearing the end of the year when the playoffs start. Remember only 4 teams get in, so adding another would be smart in my opinion. That way the talking heads (media) can't say some teams schedule was "soft".....JMO:wink:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I'd be embarrassed if I was an LSU fan.
That, and you would not be posting here...................

(Glad you are not, and assume you are equally glad.)
(There are worse things that you could be, but why bring up that cow college.)

OK, no more wise cracks tonight: I promise.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Two thoughts:

1) we were legitimately thinking the 9 games was likely

2) they wanted out too (after the Capital One annihilation I can't blame them). Also they are going to the 9 games in the Big 10 so that might be it as well

I still think demand will lead us to a 9 game schedule eventually.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.