Comcast Creates Fake SEC Fan Website to Fight SEC Network

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Oh, boy, get ready, the battle over the SEC Network is about to get heated.

This weekend I got multiple emails about an anti-SEC Network ad that's currently airing. The most detailed came from Brandon M. who wrote as follows:

"I live in Atlanta and receive my cable service through Comcast. As you know, they do not yet have an agreement to carry the SEC Network.

While watching tv this weekend, I saw an ad that called out the SEC and ESPN for trying to "Double tax" SEC fans by charging cable companies millions to carry SEC games moving forward. The ad portrayed an older lady who was excited when her grandson was accepted by a Southeastern Conference School. She went on to talk about how the family loved watching games every weekend. She then said (paraphrasing) "now the SEC and ESPN want to charge cable companies millions to show these games". The ad ended with the tag line "Stop the double tax".

The ad directed viewers to the site at www.secfansfirst.com.
Funny thing is, the site has been shut down. A Google search returns a link to a YouTube channel under the same name that has no content."

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'm not sure I really get the "double tax" argument. We know that Disney has been particularly aggressive in packaging channels together in addition to demanding a per subscriber fee. Heck, they did that with Oprah's network once they bought up the debt, and instead of an outcry, I heard about how the network had a great turnaround.

I don't like all of ESPN's tactics, but we all know how the per subscriber fee stuff works. They key there is if the public demand is high enough.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm not sure I really get the "double tax" argument.
Simple. That ad came across as a political ad. Want someone to hate something? Use the word "tax." Folks hate taxes. By telling customers ESPN is "double taxing" them, Comcast is hoping to get customers to shout their displeasures and cause ESPN to lower the price.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Simple. That ad came across as a political ad. Want someone to hate something? Use the word "tax." Folks hate taxes. By telling customers ESPN is "double taxing" them, Comcast is hoping to get customers to shout their displeasures and cause ESPN to lower the price.

add a little old lady crying she wont be able to afford to see her grandson play ALONG WITH the double taxation bit....and people will run to throw tea into the harbor...

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Comcast is fighting a losing battle, folks don't care, they just want the channel.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
As much as I love ESPN, I don't like the giant monopoly it has become. It has become so large and controlling that it is able and does push smaller companies around. Remember when college football games were spread around on different channels each week? Now, just about all of them are on ESPN channels. Comcast is on our side. They don't want to increase prices dramatically. In order to maintain viewership, they want to keep prices low. ESPN has become like crack to drug users. They can't stop using it, but can't afford it either. I hope Comcast and ESPN can come to a reasonable conclusion. If I have to pay an extra $10-$25 a month for the SEC network, i probably will look to change carriers.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
The ad wasn't taken down. Per Comcast policy, the ad will work sometime between 8am and 5 pm. You just need to continuously update it until it shows up for a brief time. If you miss it, call them back for another viewing next week.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Comcast is fighting a losing battle, folks don't care, they just want the channel.
Yes. As much as I believe that ESPN has an unhealthy and outsize influence on sports (and I really believe that) it is even more hypocritical for Comcast to be complaining about fees. But some of these things get pretty protracted. Eventually Comcast or Directv will blink, though they might manage some slight concessions from the Almighty ESPN. Gotta be careful though. The Weather Channel held out against Directv, so Directv started its own weather channel. To tell you the truth, I do not miss TWC -- couldn't tell you if it is back now or not.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.