AJ McCarron says NFL teams are telling him he could be a 1st-round pick

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I heard GMAC say on the radio awhile back that the biggest difference in the NFL when it comes to playing QB is how there is so little room for error. IE timing on WR routes and trying to force a throw. That's where most QB's slip up. You don't see as much busted coverage or CB's getting burned in the pros.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think we have to just accept that he's going to be a mystery pick and his future is a mystery, even more than other NFL QBs. Just the way it is...

Zaiva

1st Team
Feb 27, 2013
All I can say is I hope he will be able to play behind a seasoned veteran for a year or two. I believe he has the skills to be a legit NFL QB, but not right now. Pretty sure it would be a rude awakening if he had to play immediately.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I think we have to just accept that he's going to be a mystery pick and his future is a mystery, even more than other NFL QBs. Just the way it is...
I have one of these iphones that you can ask general questions about whatever...They call it Siri...

Someone told me to ask Siri "What does the fox say?"

Her answer: "You will never know, what the fox says is an ancient mystery."

Sometimes accepting that something is a mystery is the best we can do.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
The best I ever saw at Bama was Stabler. He could do it with his legs, his arm, whatever he had to do. He was a lot like Manzeil in a lot of ways except he was 6'3 and could hit a gnat with a BB from 50 yards with that left arm of his.
I still think he's the most under rated QB in the history of the NFL, and it's a joke that he's not in the Hall of Fame.
A.j. is a very good QB. I think he, Blake Bortles, or Derrick Carr will prove to be the best QB's in this years draft.
I don't think either Manzeil nor Bridgewater have a shot to make it. There's just too many question marks. Manzeil will get killed if he tries to make plays with his legs, because he's so small.
Bridgewater? I don't think he's anywhere near as good as Geno Smith was in college, and Geno's not exactly setting the woods on fire.
A.J. has to find the right system. That's the key. If he does, he can have a career. But first round? Nah. He might deserve it, but the Manzeil, Bridgewater, Bortles "Hype" is going to get them drafted first. I think A.J. goes round two.
sip
My dad thinks the same of Stabler. He always talked about the game against Ole Miss? where Stabler spiked it on 4th down with Bama at the goal line. That's the way I remember the story anyway... Those were stories from many years ago...

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
I won a lot of money in NY when I guaranteed that Tebow would go in the first two rounds. Granted, Tebow did not work out in the long run and hopefully AJ can have a more successful career, but all it takes is one team to believe and QBs always go early. top 50 pick.

A side note. What are the odds that AJ gets a playoff win as a starter? (which Tebow somehow accomplished) Got to say 3-2 against.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
AJ's best chance of longevity and success is if he can get behind a good quarterback for a year or two and be groomed for the starting role. No team is going to waste a 1st rd draft pick on a quarterback who is just a project pick for a few years out. If he does get drafted in the 1st, it will have to either be a trade up/down specifically to get him, or it will be a last 12 team taking him late, and most of those teams already have their qb of the future. I hate it for AJ, but I seriously doubt he's a first day selection, and he may actually be better off because of it. Cleveland might pick him up at 24, unless they draft a qb with their first pick, but aside from that I don't see a team who will risk a 1st rd pick on him without a trade occuring.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
My dad thinks the same of Stabler. He always talked about the game against Ole Miss? where Stabler spiked it on 4th down with Bama at the goal line. That's the way I remember the story anyway... Those were stories from many years ago...
He actually threw the ball out of bounds to stop the clock on a 4th and goal against Tennessee, and we tied the game. I remember listening as an 11 year old and going, "He did what!!"

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Things I have been hearing from people, and reading when I can, have AJ pretty secure going by the end of the second at worst. There have been teams (not sure which ones) that have been tossing around the idea of moving up into the late first round. There are currently (per Mel Kiper) 12 guys that have potential to be starters one day (deep class), and 12 teams potentially looking for a QB/Future QB. So, if a run on QB's goes (Cleveland, Minnesota, and Oakland will likely take QB's), you may see a team jump up late to snag him. I still think he goes top of round 2 (possibly to the Texans with the first pick in round 2).

MegaVars

All-American
Nov 17, 2002
Warrior, AL.
I would add Blane Gabbert, Jake Locker, and EJ Manuel. There have been some questionable first round QB picks in the last few years, and I'm not basing that on hindsight.
Ryan Leaf, 1st round, 2nd pick.
Art Schlichter, 1st round, 4th pick

Both of them could be in "The Longest Yard" :biggrin2:

Last edited:

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Word is that there are a few teams that have AJ rated higher than the rest of the pack. Wouldn't surprise me if one of them pulled the trigger early. With his resume AJ's a guy you can feel good about drafting, even if it's against popular opinion.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Word is that there are a few teams that have AJ rated higher than the rest of the pack. Wouldn't surprise me if one of them pulled the trigger early. With his resume AJ's a guy you can feel good about drafting, even if it's against popular opinion.
Mortenson of ESPN and one of the reporters on the NFL network have both said there is a team (a single team) that picks in the latter first round who is very, very high on AJ. So I'm assuming if he goes in the first round it will be to a team in a situation where they don't have to have a qb come in a start right away.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Mortenson of ESPN and one of the reporters on the NFL network have both said there is a team (a single team) that picks in the latter first round who is very, very high on AJ. So I'm assuming if he goes in the first round it will be to a team in a situation where they don't have to have a qb come in a start right away.
I'm going to guess New England but Denver would be a great spot too.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Cleveland has Indianapolis' pick from trading Trent. I hope it's not them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.