What It Means to Beat Bama - OU as Preseason #1 in '14

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I heard the tail end of this discussion on Finebaum yesterday as I was flipping channels.

I think he said the Sporting News has them as the '14 preseason #1 and this was pretty much based on OU beating Bama in the Sugar Bowl and then having a pretty easy schedule this year.

I checked the Sporting News website, but I couldn't find the link.

But this says how important and big it was for a perrenial, traditional power like OU to beat Bama, who is still consider the top of the mountain in college football.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I heard the tail end of this discussion on Finebaum yesterday as I was flipping channels.

I think he said the Sporting News has them as the '14 preseason #1 and this was pretty much based on OU beating Bama in the Sugar Bowl and then having a pretty easy schedule this year.

I checked the Sporting News website, but I couldn't find the link.

But this says how important and big it was for a perrenial, traditional power like OU to beat Bama, who is still consider the top of the mountain in college football.
Yep, that's always been the case in sports. The top dog is always the hunted and has to always be prepared to play against everybody's best. It's why we have games in which the opponent will have a performance they more than likely will not have the rest of the year. It's because they are the most focused and prepared when they step on the field with the champ.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Oh, meant to add that the guy Finebaum was interviewing said OU beating Bama was their biggest win since they last won the National Championship in 2000.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
People can think what they want, but the preseason poll will have FSU #1, Bama #2.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I wouldn't rank them preseason no.1, but I would rank them ahead of us. They beat us and in particular made us look silly on defense.After the sugar bowl performance and the experienced players that we lost, I don't understand the thought process behind anyone ranking us higher than the Sooners at this point in time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Looking at our O-line performance at the end of last season and our O-line and QB play in spring, I'd have to agree. We've got a long way to go to be anywhere close to top 20, much less number 2.
No where close to top 20??? I normally agree with you Sip, but this time IDK.

If our offense couldn't score 10 points a game next year we'll still win most of our games because our defense is going to be so nasty!

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

If our offense couldn't score 10 points a game next year we'll still win most of our games because our defense is going to be so nasty!
Moon, you may be right, and I can see where that could be the case--play it close to the vest on offense, play great defense, and just win. But I think to be a title contender or close, we have to have both offense and defense, and I'm really worried about our O at this point.
Trust me, I'll be beyond happy if I'm completely and 100% wrong on this one.
sip

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
I could be wrong to but I believe that our Offense is going to be better then a lot of and people thinks its going to be. The talent and the coaching is going to make the different's. A-day is not a gauge what so ever.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL

That will depend to a large extent on whether CNS and CKS figure out a way of effectively defending the HUNH.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.