CNS explains recruiting to "the" OSU fans, in Ohio

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
He is correct when he said, "I think you have some great high school football here in Ohio." Some parts of the state are much stronger than other, just like every state.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Yeah... but what was up with the "I hate to use this.." part? LOL
It's like saying something about someone and then saying "bless their hearts." It makes what you said ok.

In CNS's case he said the equivalent of "bless you hearts" first and then gave it to 'em: ROLL TIDE.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Why are OSU fans so keen on "The"???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ohio University is a MAC school. It' not usually the case that a "State" school is the bigger or more well known, but that is the case with Ohio "State."

They've been adding the "THE" for years...I've always thought it was like they were trying to sound elite, which is really not necessary IMO.

Just do your talking on the field and everybody will know you are THE school in your state.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Ohio University is a MAC school. It' not usually the case that a "State" school is the bigger or more well known, but that is the case with Ohio "State."

They've been adding the "THE" for years...I've always thought it was like they were trying to sound elite, which is really not necessary IMO.

Just do your talking on the field and everybody will know you are THE school in your state.
Ahh well I never have and never will refer to them as "The". After all Penn State doesn't when Penn is an Ivy League school along with Florida State or even USCw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Maybe B1GTide can give a better answer than mine. It was JMO. It may have nothing to do withe Ohio University, but that's what I always thought.
It started with a trademark dispute and has nothing to do with arrogance (well, maybe a little, but only vs Ohio). Ohio and Ohio State fan bases simply do not like one another - think Alabama/Auburn. About 10-15 years ago Ohio students and fans took to calling Ohio University, "Ohio..The State University". This prompted OSU students and fans to refer to our school as "THE Ohio State University" emphasizing the THE.

It has nothing to do with any other school or sports. Most students have no idea where it came from, since so many of our students come from out of state.

For the record, the name of our university is "The Ohio State University", and always has been - kinda like The University of Texas or The University of Virginia. So we didn't change our name when the trademark disputes started - we just added emphasis on the word "The" in advertising since the fans had already started it and it seemed to appeal to them.

When I was in school, we just called ourselves Ohio State. Me and all of my friends still refer to our school as Ohio State. Not interested in the "rivalry" with Ohio because they have a great school and I have nothing but respect for the school or students. I guess that having so many people in my family attend each simply has me on the sidelines in this dispute.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.