Baseball Apathy on this board

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
I guess the long time posters who seemed to care about the baseball program in the past have simply thrown in the towel. Bama plays what was probably the most important game of the year tonight and there is simply no one here discussing it. I guess that is what happens when the Tide pitching issues 9 walks and loses this type of game. The lack of a pitching coach really rears it's head against the good teams. Bama's pitchers threw nearly 200 pitches tonight- unheard of . The bullpen (except for Burroughs) has been ridiculously bad 5 out of the last 6 games.

I feared blowing that 8-2 lead in the 8th inning at UT was going to put this team in a tailspin- and that is exactly what has happened. The criticism of Gaspard on this board in the past has been well documented and deserved. This team has real talent and I thought they were close to making a run to hosting a regional. Hope they can turn it around the next 2 days. Just wished more people seemed to care- I know that they used to- but I also understand why some long time supporters have wavered.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I would suggest that in general baseball is losing its audience.
Pretty much. I have no patience for baseball, college or professional. It moves at a snails pace compared to football and basketball. I can't get past playing a 180+ game season and then having a best of 3 playoff series to decide who moves on. Just weird.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Then how do you explain the normal 6000-7000 in attendance that LSU, Arkansas, Miss. St ,Ole Miss etc. have every weekend? No, we have an apathy problem at Bama towards baseball. Maybe the new stadium and more consistent winning will bring the masses back. Everyone loves a winner, right?
I would suggest that in general baseball is losing its audience.

HolyCow

3rd Team
Mar 27, 2010
Field of Dreams
I guess the long time posters who seemed to care about the baseball program in the past have simply thrown in the towel.

The criticism of Gaspard on this board in the past has been well documented and deserved.
No towel thrown in here. But, some people on here wished to have people not complain. As they say,
be careful for what you wish for. Hope we can clean things up today and play hard and get dirty. RTR

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
I guess I am one of those long time posters who hasn't been posting much lately. I haven't been posting simply because I haven't had time to do so. I still go to most home games and either listen to or watch the road games on TV. I also took a look back at my posts a while back and noticed that they were becoming more and more negative. I decided to adhere to the old saying "If you can't say something good, don't say anything at all." Those two factors combined are the reason I haven't been posting very much lately.

I was at the game last night. Our pitching was not up to par last night but it is pretty easy to understand why. Our offense is so anemic that our pitchers feel that they have to be perfect and not allow any runs for us to win. That wears on a pitcher. That can't be blamed on the pitching coach. Quite frankly, I think Dax is the strength of our coaching staff. Granted, I would rather have him be our hitting coach and get another quality pitching coach, but that isn't going to happen. We will continue to muddle along with an incredibly weak hitting coach as long as Gaspard is head coach.

I don't think fans are becoming apathetic toward baseball in general. Programs that are successful are still filling their stadiums regularly. A new stadium won't bring fans back in droves like some people think. Well ... at first, fans will turn out to see the new stadium but attendance will trail off if the team is not winning. If you want a full house at Bama baseball, you have to put a consistent winner on the field. The same can be said for any sport here. Anyone go to basketball this past season? They played to a mostly empty house most of the time. Put a team on the floor that competes for a conference title and the house will be full. Baseball is no different.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Yep most of the original baseball crowd is here but just don't post because some don't like it when we discuss this coaching staff. Some of us don't like the whole staff and just don't comment on them anymore. As for rooting for the team and going, I will always do that no matter how bad we suck. Season is far from lost, but we still needs some quality wins if we want a decent regional.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Then the powers that be need to lighten up- this is a board for the fans. Being critical without attacking personally should certainly be allowed. Anyone who knows baseball can see glaring weaknesses in this coaching staff. ( today for example- trail by one in the bottom of the ninth and what do they do? Make the Florida pitcher throw a total of 6 pitches to record the final 3 outs. No working the count when we desperately need a base runner). Just unbelievable.
Yep most of the original baseball crowd is here but just don't post because some don't like it when we discuss this coaching staff. Some of us don't like the whole staff and just don't comment on them anymore. As for rooting for the team and going, I will always do that no matter how bad we suck. Season is far from lost, but we still needs some quality wins if we want a decent regional.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Another tough loss- 2 wild pitches leads to 2 of Florida's 4 runs. No margin for error against good teams when the offense is scoring only 3 runs per game ( as they have done against Florida and South Carolina). I would say chance to host a regional is now on life support. I am really tired of losing to Florida in basketball and baseball- seems they simply own us in those 2 sports.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I agree dropping this series to Florida at home does not help our case. Tommorrow is a must win because we can not afford a sweep. We will be lucky to get 1 game next weekend at LSU.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Well today is not looking good so far and with the next two series coming up we are going to have to win two games just to be 500 in the league. We are going to be really lucky to get 1 next weekend which makes the state series huge and a must win. We are slowly trying to try to play ourselves into a 3 or 4 seed in a regional which we have way to much talent to be, and we know we will not be getting any favors as to were we have to travel to play in a regional. I was hoping we had not peaked to early but it surely appears like we did. It is just very discouraging when we were looking at a real chance to host a regional with a series win this weekend.

Last edited:

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
People get tired of the same thing over and over again. Our program has gone from elite (late 90s - early 2000s) to being just a team that makes the tournament most years. Most Alabama fans I know, regardless of the sport, will lose interest pretty quick unless you are making a run at championships (conference or national).

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
No offense but i just don't care for baseball. I find it slow and dull. I do think that the University should have the best baseball team possible.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
I realize how far the program has fallen since then. But real fans should not be that fickle and spoiled. I sometimes think that the incredible success of the football program hurts the support for the other programs when they are not doing well. Bama fans are worse in that area than many schools.
People get tired of the same thing over and over again. Our program has gone from elite (late 90s - early 2000s) to being just a team that makes the tournament most years. Most Alabama fans I know, regardless of the sport, will lose interest pretty quick unless you are making a run at championships (conference or national).

ptide12

BamaNation Citizen
Apr 18, 2011
It just has reached the point where it is the same story every year. We will probably limp into a regional, get blasted in two games, bank on Gaspard to make changes in the off-season (which, of course, 100% will not take place), and Alabama baseball will be in the exact same situation next year.

After the best Alabama baseball poster on this board was run off, the discussion seemed to slowly die off.

I, like any fan, hope we can pull it together down the stretch and make a run; we certainly have a talented enough roster to do so. Although, at the beginning of the year, I thought our staff was going to be a lot deeper than it has performed.

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
Well, on last Thursday I celebrated the birth of my 3rd boy, Brooks Walker, so in all honesty the results didn't matter in the slightest! I did keep up with how we did and it was as I expected. While I have complained to some about their complaining :) I does have its merit with our track record the last few years. I does appear that we will be traveling barring a great last couple of series winning 4/6 or 5/6 I don't think 3-3 gets us anywhere really.

If we can't win a regional this year I am with the rest of the crowd I think we need a whole sale change. Texas A&M is starting 3 true freshman when I watched them over the weekend against LSU!!! So, none the less they should be real good over the next couple years.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Well, on last Thursday I celebrated the birth of my 3rd boy, Brooks Walker, so in all honesty the results didn't matter in the slightest! I did keep up with how we did and it was as I expected. While I have complained to some about their complaining :) I does have its merit with our track record the last few years. I does appear that we will be traveling barring a great last couple of series winning 4/6 or 5/6 I don't think 3-3 gets us anywhere really.

If we can't win a regional this year I am with the rest of the crowd I think we need a whole sale change. Texas A&M is starting 3 true freshman when I watched them over the weekend against LSU!!! So, none the less they should be real good over the next couple years.
First, congrats CK. Second, I am very disappointed with the outcome this past weekend. Even though FLA is the best team in the league, getting swept at home with this team was disheartening. This is an extremely tough league obviously so I am not going to call for anyone's job. I just hope we finish strong and go into the tournament with a lot more momentum than we have now.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.