Link: Would You Like Too See The Goal-Post Lengthened In Height In College Football

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
The higher they are, the more the wind will sway them.
Good point.

I was thinking if you could substantially reduce the diameter of the posts, you might buy an extra six inches room between them. :biggrin:

The downside would be they would be a little harder for the kicker to see.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Imo, not enough to even consider the cost and effort of pulling up every one of the goal posts in every one of the football fields in and around the college campuses across the country.
Perhaps they could just add an extension on each side to the existing posts rather than uprooting and replacing them. ;)

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Yup..Nice..I could see that happen & wouldn't be hard at all to design it as well..
There's always more than one way to skin a cat.

Perforated goal post height extensions...maybe I ought to file for a patent and market the things. If they caught on I'd be set...

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I've always thought that goal posts in domes should go up to the roof.
You are on to something...they could hang them from the ceiling and do away with the single post that usually holds them up...one less thing for the players to run into.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
You are on to something...they could hang them from the ceiling and do away with the single post that usually holds them up...one less thing for the players to run into.
Well, I was thinking they'd connect them to the ground and then to the roof. Hanging them is an idea but they might sway. Not sure if I've ever seen someone run into a goal post. Bet it happened a lot back when they were on the goal line.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
I like the idea. The additional length would increase the number of Darwin award candidates after idiot fans tear down a goal post following a big victory. :biggrin:

CrimsonDollar

1st Team
Apr 9, 2006
Chattanooga, TN
There was a game at Bryant-Denny last year (can't remember which one) where the overhead camera operator got one of the suspension cables hooked on the left upright of the north end-zone field goal posts. It was easy to spot because the post was bent like a banana. Looked for a moment like it was going to pull the whole thing over.

I would imagine that there would be increased risk of this with higher posts.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.