Link: Kiffin and Coker: A great match?

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Hope it is OK to post links to another fan site. This one is to a story from Roll Bama Roll on the potential of the Kiffin and Coker pairing. The writer put some thought into it.

"He will now have two years to develop the uber-talented Coker while making use of the Tide's plentiful personnel on offense. Kiffin runs a modified version of the West Coast offense requiring accuracy in the short-to-intermediate game, mobility and the ability to adjust protections according to defensive looks.

What his system doesn't require is superb arm strength. Both Leinart and Barkley were extremely accurate with anticipatory throws but lacked the arm strength to effectively execute opposite hash tosses purely on arm talent.

Coker doesn't have the problem; he will open up Kiffin's playbook by being able to work what is commonly referred to as "NFL throws."

http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2014/4/...-jacob-coker-may-be-a-match-made-in-offensive

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
From what little I've seen of Coker and with limited knowledge of QB mechanics, it does seem like Coker's biggest hurdle is going to be refining his mechanics. I just hope that Kiffen has the time to get him up to speed during the summer. What I've heard though is that mechanics problems can be fixed in practice but can often fall apart again when playing live.

I'm guessing Kiffen has stayed in touch and has kept an eye on his unofficial practice time before arriving later this month.

afadam07

1st Team
Aug 21, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
It will be a while before we see this all pan out, but I really enjoyed the article! I think it was a great breakdown of the mechanics of throwing the ball.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Uber-talented? Wasn't he a 3 star recruit out of HS?

I hope he does well but I'm afraid a lot of people will be greatly disappointed. I also think it's a shame that the media has hyped this so much. The pressure on Coker is going to be huge. It's also a slap in the face for Sims.

I'd much prefer to hear about how Kiffin is designing an offense around Sims and figuring out ways for him to get the ball into the hands of our playmakers.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

I hope he does well but I'm afraid a lot of people will be greatly disappointed. I also think it's a shame that the media has hyped this so much. The pressure on Coker is going to be huge. It's also a slap in the face for Sims.

I'd much prefer to hear about how Kiffin is designing an offense around Sims and figuring out ways for him to get the ball into the hands of our playmakers.
There are plenty of 3 star athletes in the NFL. If Sims is the answer then we have the wrong OC anyway.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Look I'm a Sims fan as much as anybody. I would love nothing more than for Sims to win the job outright and take us to a national championship. However, after watching A-Day I visibly saw why Saban and staff went outside the program to try to bring another QB in. Scaled down offense or not. Sims mightily struggled to execute the basics of quarterbacking. The things a quarterback has to do no matter what offense they're running. First and foremost his accuracy and vision in the passing game severely needs work. Granted our defense is probably going to be very good but let's not fool ourselves into thinking that the only reason Sims struggled was due to our defense being so dominating great.

Sims reminded me of Tyrod Taylor of VA Tech. All the physical tools were there but the kid simply didn't "get it" when it came to the passing game. He could kill you with his legs but put him in an obvious passing situation, mix in any form of a complex look on defense and it was over.

The younger Bateman looked more comfortable passing the ball than Sims. Unless A-Day was somehow this huge anomaly then I think we got a decent look at what Sims would do if the season started today.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Good article. IMO whether it is Sims and Kiffin or Coker and Kiffin, if our OL doesn't get a whole lot better then it really won't make much difference who is quarterbacking.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
So, if Coker doesn't pan out or if he gets hurt, then what? Bateman? Do we have the right OC in that scenario?

Bottom line, here's my take on the QB situation. There is no excuse for having only one QB who has any game experience, especially when he can't run our offense. It's not like we struggled to win games last year and we had to play McCarron until the very end to secure the win. But that's a problem I have with CNS. I think he's a great coach, perhaps the best in college football right now. But he has an NFL mentality regarding playing time for his backups. It may very well cost us some games this year.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
...There is no excuse for having only one QB who has any game experience, especially when he can't run our offense. It's not like we struggled to win games last year and we had to play McCarron until the very end to secure the win. But that's a problem I have with CNS. I think he's a great coach, perhaps the best in college football right now. But he has an NFL mentality regarding playing time for his backups. It may very well cost us some games this year.
Mack Brown approves of this post...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yes, he was. Reason for his 3* ranking was because St. Paul's ran the wing-t offense and he didn't go to many camps.

The media has continued to talk about Coker as the starter and dismissing Blake. This particular piece was on an Alabama blog, though.

I believe he already has done this. Practice spectators said the offense ran the diamond formation and plays suited for Blake during practice and the first two scrimmages.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
At this point the star rating means practically nothing. I believe he's rated as the #5 QB in his class by nfldraftscouts.com. Rivals had him something like 18th when he came out, so he's climbed up quite a bit.

He was someone that had a growth spurt late, and for a few reasons flew under the radar. FSU caught on earlier, and Alabama offered later. The thing is he's really done nothing but impress since he's been at FSU. You can argue that his role as a backup has only increased his popularity, but there's no denying the talent he's played behind. He went from being behind EJ Manuel, a first round draft pick, to Winston, a likely first round pick. He passes the eye test though, there's room for improvement but he's the type of guy NFL scouts look for.

Sims is a whole other issue. While Coker fits the prototype for the NFL quarterback, Sims fits the prototype for the run first quarterback. He could still work out, but for what Alabama wants to do on offense, Sims is not an ideal fit. Furthermore, he's demonstrated what I think are some psychological issues which lead to particularly poor showings at A-Day (his previous stats in scrimmage were much better). The thing is, no matter what the issues are, he can't go out and play like that when the game is on the line.

Does that mean Sims can't have a good season at Alabama? No, it doesn't and I've stuck up for him a lot because I think he's capable of more than a lot of people give him credit for. Charlie Ward and Pat White are a couple of quarterbacks that come to mind in terms of small, athletic quarterbacks that had fantastic college careers even though they didn't really have NFL ready quarterback talent. But, at this point I think and have thought all along that Coker has the edge, primarily because has has the tools to do pretty much everything that the Alabama offense would ask him to do.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I'm sure this will all play out and the best guy will start whomever it may be. However, I am a Blake Sims fan because he has been loyal and kept a good attitude the entire time he has been on campus. He is what everyone on the team should aspire to be. An Alabama Man.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I believe the recent changes to NCAA rules will help the situation. Previously Kiffin and Coker could barely be in the same room until fall without it being a violation. While Kiffin will have plenty of recruiting and summer camp work to do I believe it will help that he can actually go out and watch him work.

I'm hoping when summer 7 on 7 sessions begin we will start hearing some word on how he's doing with our receivers. I think he's got a much stronger arm than any of the others at this point.

BamaRickandLisa

Scout Team
Oct 3, 2011
Mississippi
I'm sure this will all play out and the best guy will start whomever it may be. However, I am a Blake Sims fan because he has been loyal and kept a good attitude the entire time he has been on campus. He is what everyone on the team should aspire to be. An Alabama Man.
Since when does being loyal get you the #1 starting position ?
You can be 0-11 this year and be loyal.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I believe the recent changes to NCAA rules will help the situation. Previously Kiffin and Coker could barely be in the same room until fall without it being a violation. While Kiffin will have plenty of recruiting and summer camp work to do I believe it will help that he can actually go out and watch him work.

I'm hoping when summer 7 on 7 sessions begin we will start hearing some word on how he's doing with our receivers. I think he's got a much stronger arm than any of the others at this point.
Very good point. This will definitely help Jacob's progression.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I can't wait to see what Kiffin can do with the quarterbacks...I'm betting he will try to keep the top two both involved in the game some way or another. It's hard to not get excited about it.

I love the thread title: Kiffin and Coker: a great match... sounds like something you would ask a bartender for. "I'll have a Kiffin and Coker over ice with a beer chaser."

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.