News Article: Marcel Dareus Arrested for Possession of Spice in AL

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Can't he find something else to waste his money ($millions$) on, so that he's completely BROKE before he's 35 years of age?

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Reshape his public image? Ever heard of Von Miller or Aldon Smith? Dareus committed a minor offense compared to what those guys did. Trouble is to be expected among NFL superstars. The only thing out of the norm for Dareus' offense was how minor it was. Normally when athletes mess up they go big. I mean the 49ers are going to exercise Smith's fifth-year option after he made bomb threats, among numerous other offenses.
I agree it's not as major as other folks, but it's still something he has to "earn public trust" back. He's a good player, but he's not a superstar that gets preferential treatment. Look at how far the Honey Badger fell in the draft because he smoked a lot of pot.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I agree it's not as major as other folks, but it's still something he has to "earn public trust" back. He's a good player, but he's not a superstar that gets preferential treatment. Look at how far the Honey Badger fell in the draft because he smoked a lot of pot.
Why would he have to do that? This will be forgotten in no time. What matters is whether he can perform on the field.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
1st - I didn't realize that spice was illegal
2nd - with all the money he makes I would think that he could afford the real thing
The NFL tests for marijuana, but not for K2 (aka spice). My understanding is that K2 is quite popular among professional athletes for that very reason.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
My understanding is that K2 is quite popular among professional athletes for that very reason.
K2, despite being shorter, is much more if a challenge to climb than Everest. I can see why young athletes go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
That pretty much sums it up Brad..The chance these knuckleheads are taking, by doing illegal drugs, that could end up costing them their spot on their football teams(college & Pro), that stupid decision could ending up costing them millions of dollars..They're living that dream the rest of us could only dream about & they treat it like yesterdays trash..As you put it so well..*sigh*

NWGATideFan

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 17, 2006
The NFL tests for marijuana, but not for K2 (aka spice). My understanding is that K2 is quite popular among professional athletes for that very reason.
You would be correct.

I found this link on a Bills board - Mash Here

Synthetic marijuana -- typically herbs sprayed with a chemical that, when smoked, is supposed to mimic the effects of pot -- is not on the NFL's banned list.

"Our drug policy is one that has strict and well-defined drugs that are banned," NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith said before the Super Bowl earlier this year. "If they are not on the list, they can't serve as the basis for discipline."
This report also notes that TE Kellen Winslow was caught with the same substance back in November, and he was never suspended.

The big question mark is now the felony charge. If convicted of a felony charge, even for a substance the NFL does not test or discipline for, MD can still be suspended.
(Side note: Winslow was caught in NJ where possession of "spice" is a misdemeanor.)

UAnerd

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 6, 2013
Marcel Darius the future God Emperor of Dune. Just don't get him near water. Bad move though Marcel.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
synthetic marijuana, i think?
Calling spice synthetic marijuana is like comparing white lightning to a wine cooler. I have seen videos of some people who have ingested this stuff, and it is absolutely NOTHING like the experience from weed. I have never seen anyone who took a hit off a joint suddenly go berserk and have to be manhandled by 5 large guys because he was literally going bat-crap crazy. Nor have I ever heard of anyone who dies solely from smoking weed (like, instantly, or within minutes); it happens with spice with some frequency. This stuff is bad, and part of the problem is all of the different kinds are not just different brands, but from what I am hearing they actually contain different chemical content.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.