News Article: This is why we don't need to listen to Mel Kiper

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Yet he still gets as many or if not more wrong than Kiper. Mike Mayock has proven to get more draft picks right than either McShay or Kiper.
Oh I won't debate that. I didn't say that he was any better at the job than Kiper, I'm saying that I personally find McShay easier to tolerate. Their business is a crap shoot anyways. If Mayock is one of the best in the business, and he barely gets a quarter of his picks, that tells you how legitimate it is. What other job on earth could you have a 25% success rate and still be employed, much less respected by industry you are in? (Aside from SEC refs of course)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
There sure is a lot of anger on this board. Anytime anyone picks someone to beat the Tide people here go bonkers. In 2010, Herbstreit picked Auburn to win the SEC West BEFORE the season and this place went nuts.

He was right.

Getting mad about that and getting mad about "this pundit said" regarding the draft - Puh-LEEEZZEE!!! You folks act like if one of these guys said it then it must be gospel. I distinctly remember Colin Cowpie saying that when it came to the draft, Mark Sanchez drove the car and Tebow (and whoever else was up that year) handed over the keys. Well Sanchez is yet another USC flameout (speaking of teams with overrated players).

Here's how I look at it: Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Sam Bradford, JaMarcus Russell, Alex Smith, David Carr, Carsen Palmer and Michael Vick were all number one in the draft picks. With zero Super Bowl rings and only Vick ever even winning a playoff game.

Kurt Warner was not even drafted yet has the 3 best passing performances in Super Bowl history.

Jerry Rice was drafted by the defending champions because nobody thought he could play at the NFL level.

Tom Brady was a sixth round pick.

Dan Marino was sixth out of six QBs in the infamous 1983 draft but was probably the best of them all as a QB.

Phil Simms was booed as a pick out of Moorhead State in 1979 and led the Giants to a championship (and most of the way to a second before going down hurt in 1990)

Richard Dent was an eighth round pick out of Tennessee St who is in the football Hall of Fame

Warren Moon was undrafted and a great QB

Neither were Priest Holmes, Antonio Gates, Tony Romo, or John Randle - all of whom had better careers than Rashaan Salaam, Ki-Jana Carter, or those annual busts the Bengals used to pick.

Nobody knows - period.

So long neighbors. Get me outta here, Percy!!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Yeah, and Custer was a pretty good Indian fighter until about 900,000 of them showed up for the party :)
Yeah. His first mate said, "General, I think we made the wrong turn. Look at all them Indians." At which point Custer told him to get in the back of the truck.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
There sure is a lot of anger on this board. Anytime anyone picks someone to beat the Tide people here go bonkers. In 2010, Herbstreit picked Auburn to win the SEC West BEFORE the season and this place went nuts.

He was right.

Getting mad about that and getting mad about "this pundit said" regarding the draft - Puh-LEEEZZEE!!! You folks act like if one of these guys said it then it must be gospel. I distinctly remember Colin Cowpie saying that when it came to the draft, Mark Sanchez drove the car and Tebow (and whoever else was up that year) handed over the keys. Well Sanchez is yet another USC flameout (speaking of teams with overrated players).

Here's how I look at it: Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Sam Bradford, JaMarcus Russell, Alex Smith, David Carr, Carsen Palmer and Michael Vick were all number one in the draft picks. With zero Super Bowl rings and only Vick ever even winning a playoff game.

Kurt Warner was not even drafted yet has the 3 best passing performances in Super Bowl history.

Jerry Rice was drafted by the defending champions because nobody thought he could play at the NFL level.

Tom Brady was a sixth round pick.

Dan Marino was sixth out of six QBs in the infamous 1983 draft but was probably the best of them all as a QB.

Phil Simms was booed as a pick out of Moorhead State in 1979 and led the Giants to a championship (and most of the way to a second before going down hurt in 1990)

Richard Dent was an eighth round pick out of Tennessee St who is in the football Hall of Fame

Warren Moon was undrafted and a great QB

Neither were Priest Holmes, Antonio Gates, Tony Romo, or John Randle - all of whom had better careers than Rashaan Salaam, Ki-Jana Carter, or those annual busts the Bengals used to pick.

Nobody knows - period.

So long neighbors. Get me outta here, Percy!!

Nobody's mad Selma, we're just talking. It's cool. Chill. :)

fralo4tide

1st Team
Jun 4, 2009
Pensacola, FL
It's a good thing these guys don't make much money doing this, or get to fly around all over the country on the weekends to watch sporting events. After all, it's only fair that school teachers, doctors, law enforcement, and military get paid much much more.

Last edited:

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Kiper's quote last night of "Dre' Kirkpatrick has been a bust." Have I missed Dre' being cut? I didn't think so.
Dre has just been injured most of his short career, plus he's surrounded by great depth at the corner position in Cinci. at this point his lack of playing time could be considered as disappointing considering his expectations, but certainly not a bust. Kiper also said that Barron has been a disappointment at Tampa, and I just don't see that at all. Barron has been one of the few bright spots on a very miserable defense, and I think he will only be better now that they have an experienced defensive coach in Lovie Smith.

jenk56

1st Team
Sep 5, 2012
Dre has just been injured most of his short career, plus he's surrounded by great depth at the corner position in Cinci. at this point his lack of playing time could be considered as disappointing considering his expectations, but certainly not a bust. Kiper also said that Barron has been a disappointment at Tampa, and I just don't see that at all. Barron has been one of the few bright spots on a very miserable defense, and I think he will only be better now that they have an experienced defensive coach in Lovie Smith.
I totally agree with you.

It seemed as if Kiper went out of his way to downgrade Bama players as stated above he singled out Dre and Mark, but he specifically said Bama defensive players have been a disappointment. He didn't mention any other program by name whether it was positive or negative but Bama. Is there a beef between Kiper and the Bama program? Just seems as if he is going the extra mile to degrade our guys.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.