Question: Florida State's Defense in the National Championship Game (Correlation)

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Has every one forgot about au reading the offensive play calls? FSU adjusted at halftime and that made the difference. If albrun had not been able to do this in the first half the game would have been more leaning in FSU's favor.

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
didn't john chavis say something about using a high school defense to stop a high school offense?
That reminds me of the AHSAA playoffs. Wetumpka was thisclose to knocking off McGill-Toolen, but couldn't punch it in from the one. Both teams were running the Gus style HUNH, which I believe made it easier for MacT to know what was coming, since they essentially used the same playbook and saw it almost every day throughout the season. My takeaway from this is that familiarity with the HUNH is a huge part of stopping it. The HUNH is so popular with high schools these days that the defenses have to be geared to stop it, so in that sense a high school defense is exactly what is needed to stop the HUNH. I saw lots of penetration and assignment defense from both sides in the high school games that I saw last year. High school coaches have had to adapt to the HUNH, and it won't take long for Saban and the other college coaches to do the same. Just look at Oregon. Everyone expects them to hang about a hundred points on the board every Saturday, and then they play Stanford. Stanford has adapted to beat their biggest Pac-10 rival, and have ruined several championship runs for the Ducks. The same thing will happen in the SEC. I don't think that it will matter whether the HUNH is pass happy or run happy. The longer it is used, the more experience defenses will have in stopping it with players recruited for that purpose.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
For the game FSU have up more points and yards to Auburn than Bama did, for what it's worth.
I was going to point that out. AU almost beat them straight up. Why would we want to duplicate that? At least in our game had we gotten nothing but FG's every opportunity we'd have won that game going away.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.