A J goes to Cincy in 5th round

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Re: A J -When & where do you think he will go?

I think the problem with AJ is what one scout before the draft said; He was great in play action but in 3rd and long he has nervous feet and misses progressions. He was one that needed to go all out at the Senior Bowl, etc.. but instead acted like an automatic first rounder. In short, he was questionable not based on throwing skills or taking care of the ball; but throwing under pressure and attitude. You hear what the scouts said about Savage out of Pitt; very hungry, made improvement, hung in the pocket. So AJ is going to have to do like Rocky in Rocky III and get back the eye of the tiger.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

At this point, you're being picked to be a backup. Of course, Tom Brady was in the same position. The Pats had no real plan for him besides being the plan B to Bledsoe.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I think the problem with AJ is what one scout before the draft said; He was great in play action but in 3rd and long he has nervous feet and misses progressions. He was one that needed to go all out at the Senior Bowl, etc.. but instead acted like an automatic first rounder. In short, he was questionable not based on throwing skills or taking care of the ball; but throwing under pressure and attitude. You hear what the scouts said about Savage out of Pitt; very hungry, made improvement, hung in the pocket. So AJ is going to have to do like Rocky in Rocky III and get back the eye of the tiger.
Spot on. AJ really struggled when the other team knew we were going to throw it. The NFL is a passing league and the times AJ had to show he could shine in those passing situations he didn't. And let's be clear, you can be a great college player and maybe your game just doesn't translate to the NFL. If AJ never plays a snap in the NFL it will not have any impact on the great college QB he was and his accomplishments at Bama.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

since the Cardinals picked Logan Thomas and Houston picked Tom Savage, I would say they need a QB
I don't think I saw a single play of Savage's career. But, I saw at least 5 or 6 of Thomas' games and never saw anything that impressed me.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

Also, I wonder if the way ESPN has portrayed AJ this whole time..has hurt him in these later rounds. Teams might not want to be the team to take the so called "arrogant" player.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

It has to be something, Logan Thomas showed no signs of life as a QB and nobody can ever make me believe he is a better QB than A.J. but of course we are talking about the Cardinals as well.

He has issues like 99% of the QB's in this draft but he's not this bad.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

At this point, you're being picked to be a backup. Of course, Tom Brady was in the same position. The Pats had no real plan for him besides being the plan B to Bledsoe.
As good as Brady has become if it weren't for a freak injury he would still be a backup today. It took things outside his control falling in place for him to make it. The odds are severely stacked against AJ now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

Not to burst any more Mobile bubbles, but if the NFL could draft a year ahead of a player coming out (as when Larry Bird was picked by the Celtics and then played his senior year at Indiana State before going to the Celtics), Coker would be picked ahead of AJ before he ever put on a 'Bama uniform.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Not to burst any more Mobile bubbles, but if the NFL could draft a year ahead of a player coming out (as when Larry Bird was picked by the Celtics and then played his senior year at Indiana State before going to the Celtics), Coker would be picked ahead of AJ before he ever put on a 'Bama uniform.
I was about to say the same thing but didn't want to get flamed. Its almost more about your upside then your production in college. That's the disconnect that throws a lot of people off when certain players get drafted, like Logan Thomas, that they feel shouldn't have.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

AJ would have been better off not acting like a punk who can't own some blame post-Sugar Bowl. It takes a lot of audacity to throw all the underclassmen under the bus when he had three turnovers that were idiotic throws out of his hand and a fumble where he took a love tap and dropped it. I think that soured some people...might have even soured Saban's opinion given to scouts. You have to wonder.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

I was about to say the same thing but didn't want to get flamed. Its almost more about your upside then your production in college. That's the disconnect that throws a lot of people off when certain players get drafted, like Logan Thomas, that they feel shouldn't have.
Why would you get flamed? They have proven that in the draft so far without a doubt. It is a deep draft no doubt, but something other than talent has thrown folks off his trail for some reason....

CrimsonPride25

1st Team
Jul 25, 2012
Mobile, Al

Schefter just said that multiple executives said AJ "rubbed them the wrong way" and came off as somewhat arrogant. Also questioned not going to the Senior Bowl. Could be the reasoning behind this slide.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere

Schefter just said that multiple executives said AJ "rubbed them the wrong way" and came off as somewhat arrogant. Also questioned not going to the Senior Bowl. Could be the reasoning behind this slide.
That doesn't add up when you can say the same (or worse) about Manziel. These factors could explain the difference between round 1 and (say) 4, but not between Round 1 and whenever (if ever) he goes now.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

Yet Manziel goes in the first round...

The NFL has always been weird when it comes to draft picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.