Aj McCarron drafted in the 5th round by Cincinnati

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
Re: Aj McCarron

What sort of a contract and signing bonus can a player drafted in the 5th round expect to walk away with? Just curious. I assume that is not 7 figures, but would guess the low to mid six figures.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX

What sort of a contract and signing bonus can a player drafted in the 5th round expect to walk away with? Just curious. I assume that is not 7 figures, but would guess the low to mid six figures.
The league minimum for rookies is $420,000. I would think it would be more than that.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I think A.J. hurt himself by blaming the younger players for the season outcome. He should have, right or wrong, accepted leadership responsibility and lived with the results. I think the NFL teams took that into consideration as A.J. looked to be an "excuse maker", rather than a "produce maker".
Fact is, from, my perspective, the worst two games I ever saw him at Bama play were against Auburn, last year, and Oklahoma.
After the Sports Illustrated articles, and all the Katherine Webb publicity, I think he lost focus, and how could he not?
He's still a kid for goodness sakes. Coach Saban, in all honesty, should have taken control, and said, "NO".
He didn't. That simple.
The results are now documented for both parties.
I look forward to next season.
sip

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture

the interviews and comments didnt help. Nor did skipping the Sr bowl. But all in all i dont think a lot of teams were impressed with the passing skills. If i were a couch potato scout grading him i'd say he's a 4th-5th round guy. his cons are what makes QB's successful in the NFL..He has a lot of work to do if he wants to be more than a backup.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

I think A.J. hurt himself by blaming the younger players for the season outcome. He should have, right or wrong, accepted leadership responsibility and lived with the results. I think the NFL teams took that into consideration as A.J. looked to be an "excuse maker", rather than a "produce maker".
Fact is, from, my perspective, the worst two games I ever saw him at Bama play were against Auburn, last year, and Oklahoma.
After the Sports Illustrated articles, and all the Katherine Webb publicity, I think he lost focus, and how could he not?
He's still a kid for goodness sakes. Coach Saban, in all honesty, should have taken control, and said, "NO".
He didn't. That simple.
sip

I thought Todd McShay was very gracious in trying to explain AJ's frustration.

rolltideallday

1st Team
Dec 18, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL

I honestly thought he had a pretty good game against Auburn after the first quarter or so. He had a much worse game against MSU last season than Auburn.

He didn't. That simple.
sip

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I honestly thought he had a pretty good game against Auburn after the first quarter or so. He had a much worse game against MSU last season than Auburn.
True, but still...when it was all said and done, why blame the younger players for the overall season, and not say a word about it until the entire season was over? Kind of makes him look like he didn't do his job, as a leader, while the season was still in progress.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN

On the NFL Network Mayock said AJ was too cocky, should never have skipped the Sr Bowl, and the upcoming reality show with Katherine Webb was a bad idea. I thought it was a bad decision to miss the Sr. Bowl but he listened to those who should be in the know. I cannot think of anything more boring than following a couple as they plan their wedding. Definitely not must-see TV.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Honestly, I think the real reason AJ fell so far was simply because a lot of teams just didn't think he was that good. The NFL isn't the model of moral standards. Teams have taken players who've broken the law, gotten kicked off their college teams etc. Granted, AJ's comments after the season wasn't the smartest move, but it is a far cry from what a lot of guys have done that ended up getting drafted.

Be it fair or unfair, AJ was labeled a player whose success was attributed more to those around him that anything he did. When I watched the combine he looked just as good as Bortles or any other QB that performed. But obviously the NFL saw differently because he plummeted down to the fifth round.

But one thing I do wonder. I wonder what went through AJ's mind when he heard Adam Scheftner (sp) say that teams told him that they were turned off by his attitude and found him as arrogant? I wonder how AJ took that?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

He didn't. That simple.
sip
Yes, and his remarks followed soon after McElroy's calling out his Jets teammates. That didn't help...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Honestly, I think the real reason AJ fell so far was simply because a lot of teams just didn't think he was that good. The NFL isn't the model of moral standards. Teams have taken players who've broken the law, gotten kicked off their college teams etc. Granted, AJ's comments after the season wasn't the smartest move, but it is a far cry from what a lot of guys have done that ended up getting drafted.

Be it fair or unfair, AJ was labeled a player whose success was attributed more to those around him that anything he did. When I watched the combine he looked just as good as Bortles or any other QB that performed. But obviously the NFL saw differently because he plummeted down to the fifth round.

But one thing I do wonder. I wonder what went through AJ's mind when he heard Adam Scheftner (sp) say that teams told him that they were turned off by his attitude and found him as arrogant? I wonder how AJ took that?
Judging from his post-draft comments, I'd say the lesson got across...

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

Yes, and his remarks followed soon after McElroy's calling out his Jets teammates. That didn't help...
I was just thinking the same thing. You can have off the field issues or general arrogance and still get drafted. But apparently you simply cannot publicly call out your teammates about their performance. This will get you Black balled real quick. Just ask Greg.

I found it in poor taste when he said it. It wasn't true. Those younger players weren't on the field when the breakdowns happened. As a matter of fact ever breakdown that contributed to a loss was committed by an upper classman.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I was just thinking the same thing. You can have off the field issues or general arrogance and still get drafted. But apparently you simply cannot publicly call out your teammates about their performance. This will get you Black balled real quick. Just ask Greg.

I found it in poor taste when he said it. It wasn't true. Those younger players weren't on the field when the breakdowns happened. As a matter of fact ever breakdown that contributed to a loss was committed by an upper classman.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
When he was asked about it, Saban said pretty much the same thing...

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.

I've never seen AJ as anything but a back-up in the NFL. There's nothing wrong with that type of work if you can get it. Also I think AJ has an air about him. I can see the cockiness. I think we can all see some of these things. I also see AJ as a winner and a fierce competitor. He is among the very best QB's I've seen at Alabama. I appreciate everything he did at Alabama.

I think if NFL teams saw AJ as a starting QB he would have definitely been drafted much, much sooner. As I mentioned I see him as a career back-up and there's nothing wrong with that.

BadgerTidefan

1st Team
Dec 2, 2006
Jennings, FL

When AJ came out and said some teams had told him he could go in the 1st round the only way I could imagine that happening in a meeting was if he directly asked them himself as in "hey guys, do you think I could go in the first round?" . Otherwise It's hard for me to even think it would come up, unless perhaps they asked him where he thought he may place and they just did not disagree if he said he deserved a 1st round placement. I think everything said here contributed to his slide. No team relishes the idea of having someone that has shown they are willing to blame the other players, everyone can understand how disruptive a rookie blaming or calling out other players could be. As for the reality show, who in their right mind needs a rookie QB with that going on. That could be a nonissue now, I'm sure Ms Webb was counting on him being a star in the draft. She may not even go through with the wedding now that he placed in the 5th, that's unkind to her, but I'm not impressed with her. With all at said, I sure did enjoy watching him the last few years and really wish he had just maintained control these last few months and kept a low profile.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011

If AJ had been a D2 player, he'd of gone much higher. The NFL knew everything about him so they looked harder at what was wrong with him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.