Link: McCarron: I Wasn't Healthy At Alabama

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
When Saban was making a speech in Ohio recently and finished it by saying "I hate to say it...Roll Tide!"

I thought it was a poorly worded phrase, easy to misinterpret. So I figured, no biggie, just an awkward expression with no ulterior motive or disrespect.

Since I've enjoyed watching AJ so much over the years, I'm inclined to extend him the same courtesy.

On the other hand, you only get just so many mulligans. AJ is rapidly approaching his limit.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
When Saban was making a speech in Ohio recently and finished it by saying "I hate to say it...Roll Tide!"

I thought it was a poorly worded phrase, easy to misinterpret. So I figured, no biggie, just an awkward expression with no ulterior motive or disrespect.

Since I've enjoyed watching AJ so much over the years, I'm inclined to extend him the same courtesy.

On the other hand, you only get just so many mulligans. AJ is rapidly approaching his limit.
This one was easy to interpret. He's standing in front of a bunch of Ohio St fans, outside the south and doesn't want to disrespect them. So in translation what he's saying is "I hate to say this in front of y'all for fear of disrespect but I'm going to say it any way, Roll Tide!". That's pretty easy to understand.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Just my opinion, but if I had any influence over AJ whatsoever, I'd tell him to just shut up for awhile. Cancel twitter, quit reading newspapers or watching sports shows, ignore interview requests. Instead learn a new playbook and focus on being the best NFL QB you can be. Sign your contract ASAP and attend June practices. Take any advice they Bengals offer on media relations, especially if really doing a stupid TV show.

When you finally have to talk, follow Crash's advice and practice your cliches: everything I can to help the team win; the good Lord willing, it'll all work out. Add: Alabama was a great experience for me. Love my coaches, teammates and all the fans. Proud to have worn the uniform. My focus now is my new team, the Bengals. Next question."

If you can't manage that, at least till you've made an NFL roster and done something in a game, you are giving yourself an awfully tough row to hoe.

Yeah, people in Alabama obsess over football, but the media coverage of the NFL is a scorpion fight in a bottle.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Thank you. At least one Mod here isn't joining the lynch mob with the rest of the ungrateful mouth breathers around here. I've been as die hard of an Alabama Crimson Tide fan as anyone for 31 years with a strong history of family ties to the school and I have never been so disgusted with the fanbase as I am currently.

He is what 21...22 years old and is making some 'verbal' mistakes by not being 100% politically correct and the majority are completely turning their back on him for it. He has had a good a reason as anyone to go through life with a chip on his shoulder and apparently it's how he best manufactures his motivation.

I know this much. He represented the team and school in a positive way for 5 years and never did anything outright stupid to embarrass anyone. He did lots of charitable stuff with kids and played like a All-Time college great on the field. Many other players have been imperatively important as well but we DO NOT win the back to back titles if he was not the starter. His peers also voted him co-captain and Saban LOVED him.

He skipped the senior bowl - get over it he doesn't owe you anything.

In the grand scheme he's a young person who has things to learn but he's a GOOD person. He will make huge strides from now to age 30 in maturity.

While I'm not ashamed of him; I am ashamed to be in the same collective group of fans that are acting like this now. I assume the majority here are adults and are vehemently demanding a 21-22 year old to 'shut-up' and now offer your retroactive true feelings towards the guy when for the last 3 years everyone has been glowing in their praise.

If this school wasn't so dear to me personally I would have to move on from being a fan with you. The hypocrisy towards former players when they do anything to disappoint your perfect expectations for them when they leave has become sickening. I can't believe it...I really can't. It's disgusting....I'm just about done here.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I think McCarron played most of his career at Alabama with a bit of a chip on his shoulder, and projected an aura like he's been doubted and "disrespected" to a degree. While I believe a good bit of it was manufactured, it generally served him and the team well, gave them a "cause" to rally around. I think he's, unfortunately, carried that persona forward as he moved to the NFL draft and thought it would continue to serve him well and project confidence and it just backfired on him. Problem now is he's in the hole and won't put down the shovel.

As for how much it really pushed him down in the draft, I'm not sure I'm buying it completely. Might have made slip from the 4th round to the 5th and certainly should have been drafted ahead of Logan Thomas and Tom Savage, but I think mostly teams just didn't think he was 1st-2nd round material. If he had all the physical tools, this other crap wouldn't matter in a bottom line league. The guy was a 3-year starter under Saban, voted 3-time captain, a permanent captain his senior year, and a little cockiness and finger pointing cost him 3 or 4 rounds in the draft? No way. They are just flat out not convinced he's good enough in my opinion. I think bringing up the interviews and the attitude issues are just easy ways out of answering the harder questions about his arm strength and mechanics.

EDIT: I'd also like to add that McCarron seems like a good guy overall and he represented Alabama in a positive way his entire career. Yes, he should simmer down and drop all this nonsense, but let's not crucify the guy - he's no Scam Newton or Shameis Winston.

Last edited:

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I'm just sick of this manufactured chip on the shoulder from all athletes. It's trite and boring.

Sometimes I wish this all go back to what it used to be, or these guys could just quit pretending to be students.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I actually agree 100% with ya CP..Players don't have to constantly play with that proverbial "Chi On Their Shoulder"..Just play hard, practice even harder, stay out of trouble of the field, and the pieces to life's puzzle, will fit into the perfect picture in your life..
I'm just sick of this manufactured chip on the shoulder from all athletes. It's trite and boring.

Sometimes I wish this all go back to what it used to be, or these guys could just quit pretending to be students.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
......."I sacrificed a lot to play for coach Saban and that university; I played through a lot of injuries and we never leaked it because that's just the way it is. I just always tried to fight through for my teammates, my team and the University of Alabama....
Not sure what the problem is.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
At some point, it's time to shut up and move on, man. But I get that he was asked the question. So it is what it is....but yeah...at some point....gotta lace em up and move on
Apparently that will not happen. Hope it does because it is not making things better for anyone. For someone who says he is all about tomorrow he sure spends a LOT of time on yesterday.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
I think ol AJ is getting a bit too "big for his britches" as we say here in the South. While there's nothing wrong with being honest, there's also times to choose carefully what you say, especially about "Mama", Just because ya got 3 NC's and a Supermodel hanging from your arm don't necessarily mean you gotta change and get the big head. But happens to alotta players though. JMO. BTW I love AJ, and will always cherish the moments he brought to the Capstone.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I think ol AJ is getting a bit too "big for his britches" as we say here in the South. While there's nothing wrong with being honest, there's also times to choose carefully what you say, especially about "Mama", Just because ya got 3 NC's and a Supermodel hanging from your arm don't necessarily mean you gotta change and get the big head. But happens to alotta players though. JMO. BTW I love AJ, and will always cherish the moments he brought to the Capstone.
Maybe that barner girlfriend of his is rubbing off on him (OK, OK, keep the crude jokes to yourself, this is a family board!). I don't care how pretty she is, I still don't trust her Hardee's eatin', platform divin', spotlight lovin' *U hide.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yup..I agree 100% with ya my friend..And growing up, when I did something wrong, Mom would say I was getting to "Big For My Britches" young man & I knew what was about to happen, she would make me go out to a big bush close to our front door, and make me pick out the hickery to adjust ,y "My Big Britches", lord help me, those britches wasn't to big by the time she wore out my backside out & reminded me that I wasn't "All That"..Maybe that's exactly what AJ needs to give him a "reality check" & bring his ego back down among the clouds..

Last edited:

BigA

Scout Team
Dec 21, 2013
Trussville, Al
I have to admit the PR AJ is getting is troubling. If he truly feels that way, he may have been part of the problem in the last two games. With that said, I really hate this for AJ as he gave so much to the university over his time. He is a champion and needs to carry himself as such. I do believe he is getting bad advice from his agent, enablers, etc. Someone close to him (Saban, mother, dad, step dad, fiance, ect) needs to tell him to "chill" that he was a 5th round draft choice and has a chance that is not given to all college football players. Someone needs to tell him: it is time to shut up, work hard, get ready for mini camps and summer camp. Come to the realization that he is a back-up QB in the NFL with an excellent opportunity for advancement in a few years. All this yah-yah must end, or he will be tagged a disgruntled athlete and will most likely be one of those players that goes from team to team. He is better than that...get it together AJ. You were raised better than this and I really believe you are above this! I realize your feelings are hurt...but, give it a rest!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.