Link: McCarron: I Wasn't Healthy At Alabama

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I don't feel like people have been disrespectful. I don't think being an Alabama fan means that whatever the players, coaches, or university says and does is sacrosanct and above reproach. We've seen that approach down on the plains. It creates a cult-like, insular, incestuous mentality that we don't want here.
I'm not saying he or anyone else is above criticism but it has gotten way out of hand with overboard reactions to every thing he says almost to the syllable. I agree he should only have made the 'young players' comment once but I don't have a huge problem with anything else he has said or done at least not to the degree of the offended masses.

Before you know it he will make a comment like 'I tell ya I'm really enjoying the weather up here in Cincy with it not being hot like what I've lived in my whole life' and dear baby Jesus everyone will think he's insulting the south and the state of AL's weather and that if he feels that way he can just stay in Ohio. It's like everyone is just looking to take anything from him as negative and insulting at this point.

You honestly don't think the fanbase is overrating just even a tad compared to what he's actually said and the way he's said it? I mean CNS even seems flabbergasted at how much everyone is seemingly overly criticizing the kid.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Those claiming fans are "piling on" or "disrespecting the greatest QB in Alabama history" say those fans are sensitive. Yet, I don't see anyone discrediting AJ's work or time at UA. I don't see anyone saying "He should have stayed home and not come here." Seems like the ones making the accusations are the sensitive ones.

I'll state it again - I appreciate what AJ McCarron did for the University of Alabama. I'm thankful he was starting QB of back-to-back national championship teams. I believe he's the best QB in Alabama history.

That being said, I believe he would benefit from shutting his mouth and practicing. Other players have made comments along the lines of AJ's. They haven't continued to make them. AJ has the ability to tell a reporter he's already discussed the topic and won't any further.

AJ's latest comments aren't the reason for the discussion. The constant commenting is. Once, maybe twice, I can get. He's continued to make the comments, which bothers me.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
I think AJ's comments are less about distancing himself from Bama and more about distancing himself from the player he was at Bama. He wants people to know that he can do a lot more than what he showed at the Capstone. Whether he really can or not, I'm not sure. I hope he proves everyone wrong and pushes Dalton for the job, but I'm not holding my breath.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think AJ's comments are less about distancing himself from Bama and more about distancing himself from the player he was at Bama. He wants people to know that he can do a lot more than what he showed at the Capstone. Whether he really can or not, I'm not sure. I hope he proves everyone wrong and pushes Dalton for the job, but I'm not holding my breath.
The best way to do that is to prove it on the field not behind a microphone or on social media.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Those claiming fans are "piling on" or "disrespecting the greatest QB in Alabama history" say those fans are sensitive. Yet, I don't see anyone discrediting AJ's work or time at UA. I don't see anyone saying "He should have stayed home and not come here." Seems like the ones making the accusations are the sensitive ones.

I'll state it again - I appreciate what AJ McCarron did for the University of Alabama. I'm thankful he was starting QB of back-to-back national championship teams. I believe he's the best QB in Alabama history.

That being said, I believe he would benefit from shutting his mouth and practicing. Other players have made comments along the lines of AJ's. They haven't continued to make them. AJ has the ability to tell a reporter he's already discussed the topic and won't any further.

AJ's latest comments aren't the reason for the discussion. The constant commenting is. Once, maybe twice, I can get. He's continued to make the comments, which bothers me.
Now that the draft process is through, I bet the controversial comments stop. For him the comments aren't about Bama but rather his prospects as an NFL QB. It's time for him to put up or shut up. He'll find out soon if he's starter material.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Before you know it he will make a comment like 'I tell ya I'm really enjoying the weather up here in Cincy with it not being hot like what I've lived in my whole life' and dear baby Jesus everyone will think he's insulting the south and the state of AL's weather and that if he feels that way he can just stay in Ohio. It's like everyone is just looking to take anything from him as negative and insulting at this point.
My first instinct is to roll my eyes at AJ's unfortunate comments. "Put a cork in it AJ."

My second instinct, after reading the comments here, with everybody upset at AJ, is to rally to his defense because he's a homeboy, the ex-quarterback of Bama during one of it's best streaks.

So I can see both sides of the debate, but all I can say is what a shame things have come to this, in my opinion things said by and about AJ could better have been left unsaid.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
So I can see both sides of the debate, but all I can say is what a shame things have come to this, in my opinion things said by and about AJ could better have been left unsaid.

Well...if first had not happened, I don't think second would have either. And like others, I have not seen a post belittling or in anyway diminishing what AJ did at and for Bama; he was, IMO, the best QB Bama ever had.
But if he doesn't make these comments, no one has issues with him, at least not on here. I don't think anyone here really questions his abilities (others in other places do often), but we as fans have every right to voice our opinions when he makes inane comments like he has. Some things just don't need to be said, certainly not to the media.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I had been keeping my opinion to myself for as long as possible and let it all out to get things off my chest but I feel everything I said was spot on and it's truly how I feel.

It's the majority that are overreacting. Yes he aired some dirty laundry from last season that he shouldn't have but other players including the beloved Norwood corroborated AJ's story. To their credit they only commented once but they have escaped the wrath anyway. Of course CNS is going to discredit the notion of it being younger guys fault when they are still on campus and he has to get them ready for the next season. They are still current players and he's going to defend them.

Everyone keeps assuming it's just bench riders that AJ is talking about so it makes the story seem irrelevant but freshman, sophomores, and new inexperienced starters/platoon backups played and it's some of them he's referring to not buying in fully to cause problems on the field and in general team attitude. Players are going to put their best foot forward in front of CNS but teammates are going to know the true pulse of how each other are acting on the field.

Then he uses the word 'THAT' with a completely innocuous tone to it and everyone flips their collective lids even though he says the full school name sentences later. He didn't use a negative tone at all in the sound bite but it's as if no one listened they just have formed a lynch mob mentality towards AJ at this point.

It has been well known I thought that AJ played with injuries with the the info always being under tight wrap until post season. If he didn't discuss it w/ CNS I'm sure it's because he was toughing it out like most great players and keeping it to himself. The starting QB is not going to complain to the coach about being banged up and risk starting playing time or respect. Much like when Greg played Texas with injured ribs but nothing would have stopped him from starting. Players will flat lie to coaches about health to stay on the field.

All of it is tone and inflection of voice. Many things read worse in black and white than how they sound audibly and all the AJ quotes are being blown way out of proportion like he is viscously trashing former teammates, disrespecting the school,and whining about playing with injuries when his tone of voice and actual words are no where near as taboo and offensive as the fanbase is taking it.

But by all means everyone keep piling on the guy without any sensible line of independent open minded thought whatsoever. I'd rather all AJ topics be off limits at this point right up there with LSU fans not being able to post. LSU fans attacking the place was one thing but now our own players/alumni are seemingly up for grabs to be attacked by members, mods, and admins alike.
I agree!!!!!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
it's funny that some people say "he's 21 or 22...kids say dumb stuff...".

that's true...but what is also true is that those of us who or two or three times that age are also allowed to tell 21 and 22 year olds that the stuff they are doing is dumb because we have been there and done that.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

that's true...but what is also true is that those of us who or two or three times that age are also allowed to tell 21 and 22 year olds that the stuff they are doing is dumb because we have been there and done that.
McCarron will be 24 in a about five months. He's getting very old for that "kid" label.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I didn't know he's 23 & bout to turn 24..I agree he's no longer a "Kid"..Plus..He's been coached up by the support staff at Bama ,as what to say & what not to say, while speaking to the media..Coach Saban goes that extra mile to teach our Players how to correctly handle himself when given media interviews & AJ has pretty much gone against what was taught to him by Coach Saban & our support staff at Bama..JMHO
McCarron will be 24 in a about five months. He's getting very old for that "kid" label.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I find it funny because folks don't want to hear Jamies Winston say he's only 20 yet they use it for AJ's comments.

I didn't know he's 23 & bout to turn 24..I agree he's no longer a "Kid"..Plus..He's been coached up by the support staff at Bama ,as what to say & what not to say, while speaking to the media..Coach Saban goes that extra mile to teach our Players how to correctly handle himself when given media interviews & AJ has pretty much gone against what was taught to him by Coach Saban & our support staff at Bama..JMHO
I think it's more CNS tells the players what TO say rather than coaching them up to handle the media. I recall reading how Jeff Puriton, Bama's SID, would step in before a player made a comment about something. AJ is voicing his opinion rather than going by CNS's script.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
I find it funny because folks don't want to hear Jamies Winston say he's only 20 yet they use it for AJ's comments.

I think it's more CNS tells the players what TO say rather than coaching them up to handle the media. I recall reading how Jeff Puriton, Bama's SID, would step in before a player made a comment about something. AJ is voicing his opinion rather than going by CNS's script.
AJ didn't steal anything nor has he ever been accused of sexual assault. AJ didn't use the "kid" tag to defend himself, fans on this site are using it. Jameis invoked the "kid card" himself to excuse himself for stealing. It merely gave further insight into the nature of an athlete we already knew was corrupt.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.