Link: McCarron: I Wasn't Healthy At Alabama

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
You make a bold fair statement..I love Coach Saban & think he's the best HC in college football, well, since The Bear was roaming our sidelines..He not perfect & has made a couple mistakes along the way..And will correct them as he goes..That's why he's the absolute best of the best in college football..
You are right about AJ needs to back off. But CNS needs to take responsibility for some of the problems the last two games instead of pushing it off the players. He made some bad decisions as Head Coach. CPB took the blame for loses and gave credit for wins.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
I'm thinking the "reality" show they're working on is a really bad idea, on multiple fronts. If one little quote like this can take off like it has, having cameras follow him around all the time won't help.

Something tells me five years from now, AJ will wish he hadn't done it.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
The media likes to set people up with hard and misleading questions cause they know people give quick often times unprepared answers that can be taken out of context. The truth is by the time A.J. was labeled a game manager his draft stock was set. It would have shocked me more if he had went in the first two rounds!

Personally I don't see AJ more than a game manager in the pro's and I think they drafted him with that in mind. Of course he would take exception to being called that as many on here do. But hey, game managers win championships!

We talk about the players and coaches needing to take responsibility for last season and not put it off on another, but us fans need to get over the butt hurt of not winning three national championships in a row, which no doubt most of us have! ;)

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
If AJ wasn't healthy at Alabama for his entire career then maybe his draft stock dropped because he couldn't stay healthy playing QB on a team in which he hit the ground maybe once per game. I'm saying this half kiddingly but seriously if AJ wants to play the excuse game then they can be turned right back on him.

It seems more and more like AJ didn't really change from the immature gunslinger he came in as, he just controlled himself until he was out from under Coach Saban's wing.

Bamaboda1

Suspended
Sep 1, 2006
Kathleen, GA
I don't see anything wrong with what he said. It is obvious to me that AJ loves Alabama...and he certainly played with dedication. I always suspected that the reason he didn't play in the Senior Bowl was due to unknown injuries, that I'm sure he didn't want to publicize or risk worsening. Some in the media have been "poking" him for years, trying to get a response. I hope Bama fans don't now join in. Maybe he should be more careful about his comments...but then again, maybe WE should muzzle ours.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
At a macro level, AJ is showing everyone why he dropped so far in the draft. If he said things in his team interviews similar to what he's said in public/media interviews since the season ended, he's shown a lack of maturity that probably resonated strongly with teams that may have been considering him (which sounds like is being reported). It's fairly obvious that Coach Saban and 'that' university controlled his interviews/public comments during his time at the Capstone. Teams more than likely don't want to expend the resources to do that for a backup player in the NFL. Then considering that he has this reality show upcoming, who wants an employee with that kind of forum to keep sticking his foot in his mouth at the team's expense?

Hopefully he doesn't burn too many bridges during this maturation process.

Last edited:

Capstone46

1st Team
Jun 5, 2000
In the above comments Moan's first sentence is right on the spot and Clubfitter points out how easily football fans can be manipulated. College football fans can be the biggest suckers on the planet. Many of the so called sports writers and sports programs only draw it out of them in the name of entertainment ....and the suckers perpetuate the whole cycle by giving them the attention they need to survive.
There is nothing wrong with AJ or his comments. After all, he was coached by, admires, and follows the example of CNS who handles interviews the same way.

shottistyeti

Scout Team
Dec 10, 2006
Agree with Post 16.

Sorry - can't figure out how to post with a quote on the new Tapatalk.

Last edited:

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
In the above comments Moan's first sentence is right on the spot and Clubfitter points out how easily football fans can be manipulated. College football fans can be the biggest suckers on the planet. Many of the so called sports writers and sports programs only draw it out of them in the name of entertainment ....and the suckers perpetuate the whole cycle by giving them the attention they need to survive.
There is nothing wrong with AJ or his comments. After all, he was coached by, admires, and follows the example of CNS who handles interviews the same way.

Nope.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
In the limelight, you can't say anything that isn't plain vanilla. This is why Saban sounds the way he does. I bet if you go back through his archives, you can find a handful of foot-in-mouth incidents where his meaning was plain but he was taken out of context and deliberately misunderstood. Being smart, he now sticks to a tight script.

I know perfectly well what AJ meant, but I can reread his comment uncharitably if I want to. AJ still thinks you have to provide an off-the-cuff comment to a journalist's question, but all they are looking for is to publish something that stirs the pudding.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Fair enough, the media does try to manipulate, but who is being manipulated? The fans or AJ? Part of the "process" with Coach Saban is learning not to give the media anything to spin.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
I think we are watching a young man make the difficult transition from king of the college football world to NFL backup. Even if he becomes a starter, his greatest football days are most likely behind him. I'm sure he's trying to understand why he was drafted so late when he feels he proved everything on the field.
The silver lining is that he will be a legend in his home state for the rest of his life.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Actually the one being manipulated is AJ. The media is using his immaturity/cockiness/arrogance (whatever you want to call it) against him. There's a time and place for everything. Even the truth. Let's pretend what AJ said is completely true. That he was constantly hurt, the reason for the let down last year was due to other younger players not buying in etc. Is the right time and and place to say that right before you're going to be interviewed for a job and every time a reporter (with a mic in front of your mouth) asks you about it? I think the common sense answer is "no". Context and realizing the bigger picture means a lot and goes a long way. AJ is on the way to screwing up his public image not only in the NFL realm but within his collegiate realm as well. Getting behind a mic and airing to the public is THE wrong thing to do. Even if everything he was saying was true (which I don't think it was). The best thing he could have done when asked "What went wrong last season?" is give a standard, company line statement of "We just didn't get it done as a team. It is very hard to win one national championship much less three in a row. I am very happy and pleased with what WE accomplished at Alabama and am looking forward to my future in the NFL." and been done with it. But no, he had to open the front door and start throwing dirty laundry out in the front yard for all to see and he's now reaping the "rewards" of that. He needs to learn some lessons pretty quick or his stint in the NFL will be less than Greg McElroy's.

Last edited:

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
He needs to learn some lessons pretty quick or his stint in the NFL will be less than Greg McElroy's.
Agree 1000%. Actually should have followed Greg's footsteps in dealing with the NFL media and commenting on how he spent his time at the Capstone because when he is done holding a clipboard, he will have to return to the fanbase that he is trying (in not so many words) to throw under the bus.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
As Buzz said, the person being manipulated is AJ. The media didn't set him up. The NFL executives didn't set him up in interviews. They asked the questions. AJ continues to give answers with a gun pointed right at his foot.

Multiple reports of AJ "rubbing NFL executives the wrong way" came out Saturday. Do you think GMs want their starting QB (and face of the franchise) saying the stuff AJ said?

I can see it now:

"AJ, what was the reason you fell one game short of making the playoffs?"

"Well, these rookies didn't do their job. They didn't make the plays and they had a bad attitude. I did all I could do. I did my best, but they didn't do their best."

I've said it a few times in various threads and feel it deserves repeating: AJ can tell a reporter he isn't answering a question. The media doesn't have subpoena power. No one is forcing him to answer the question. He can say he isn't talking about it, but he continues to run his mouth.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
As I said the last time he mouthed off about the underclassmen not pulling their weight, he is going to find out how quickly one can go from beloved to hated.

I don't care how accurate his statement was, as everyone should know, it's not what you say but how you say it.

AJ, shut up and play.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.