Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC WylieTexasTider's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

QB Zach Gentry Commits to Texas

I know many may disagree but, I don't see a huge need to sign a QB in 2015. We have Jacob Coker in 2014 & 2015. Come 2016 Cooper Bateman will be a junior and David Cornwell will be a RS Sophomore. It is great if you can sign an elite QB every year but, sign one 2 out of every 3 years keeps a bunch of kids from slamming into one another.

In a perfect world Cornwell will take the job 2016-2018 and then a 2016 signee takes over in 2019 as. RS sophomore.
    "What happened yesterday is history. What happens tomorrow is a mystery. What we do today makes a difference - the precious present moment."-Nick Saban

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American

Re: Zach Gentry commits to Texas

Quote Originally Posted by WylieTexasTider View Post
    I know many may disagree but, I don't see a huge need to sign a QB in 2015. We have Jacob Coker in 2014 & 2015. Come 2016 Cooper Bateman will be a junior and David Cornwell will be a RS Sophomore. It is great if you can sign an elite QB every year but, sign one 2 out of every 3 years keeps a bunch of kids from slamming into one another.

In a perfect world Cornwell will take the job 2016-2018 and then a 2016 signee takes over in 2019 as. RS sophomore.
    In a truly perfect world, Wylie, all those names you mentioned can actually play. And given our own recent history, we can't say that.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEyeshade View Post
    In a truly perfect world, Wylie, all those names you mentioned can actually play. And given our own recent history, we can't say that.
    ^ What he said.
    Plus, if Coker has the kind of season we are hoping for, he might not be back in 2015.
    Last edited by bama579; May 13th, 2014 at 07:42 AM.

BamaNation All-American dWarriors88's Avatar
    My Mood
    Psychedelic on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bama579 View Post
    ^ What he said.
    Plus, if Coker has the kind of season we are hoping for, he might not be back in 2016.
    I thought Coker was only eligible for this upcoming season, he'll play 2015 as well?
    At Some Places They Play Football.
    At Alabama, We LIVE It.

"...Ain't nothin' but a winner."

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by dWarriors88 View Post
    I thought Coker was only eligible for this upcoming season, he'll play 2015 as well?
    He has 2 years of eligibility. He can play '14 and '15. I think Cornwell or Bateman is primed to take over in '16.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by dWarriors88 View Post
    He is eligible for 2015.
    LINK http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/i...ee-to-transfer
    Last edited by bama579; May 13th, 2014 at 07:48 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame derek4tide's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I think we should go after a solid 3-4 star kid from Alabama or Georgia. The type that is ranked around #20-#40. That may be our best bet this year.
    "There are two pains in life. There is the pain of discipline and the pain of disappointment. If you can handle the pain of discipline, then you'll never have to deal with the pain of disappointment." - Nick Saban

FB | REC Moderator

Don't know how this thread never links up to the actual post title, but to that end let's just note for the record that Zach Gentry, a highly-touted pro-style quarterback recruit out of New Mexico, verbally committed to Texas yesterday. He could have had his pick of national programs, but decided on Austin as his college destination.

All of you should pay attention to the general build of this kid and what it entails for the future of the Texas offense under Charlie Strong. Gentry comes in at 6'7 and around 225 pounds, so he is essentially in the same physical mold of guys like Ryan Mallett and Zach Mettenberger. The Texas offense is just going to do a 180 from what we've seen over the past decade.

BamaNation All-SEC

Thank you BET for getting us back on track. I really thought we had a good shot at landing this kid. I guess Strong is going to someone to reckon with in recruiting after all. I think charlie strong is a good coach. I just didn't see him fitting in to Texas long-term. We'll see.

Gentry could be the building block for this Texas team. I still expect Bama to pick up a QB this year. I just have no idea who it will be now. We usually like to find a QB quickly who likes to recruit. This may be more like a Phillip Ely year.

Suspended

The kid might be great, but what is really known after watching the tape of New Mexico HS football? There is always the chance that Coker has a great year and goes to the NFL after one season. If he doesn't, do you really want him to QB a second season?

BamaNation All-American

[QUOTE=BigEasyTider;2390817[B]]Don't know how this thread never links up to the actual post title ...

I'll translate: Who's next?

BamaNation All-American 230kv_barehand's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Re: QB Zach Gentry Commits to Texas

Hopefully our QB play picks up because what was shown in A-Day wasn't that hot. Bateman has made a ton of strides though, but I'm not sure he'll sit around for two more years and not play. I hope so because we need able bodies there big time. I think if Winston comes out next year Coker will stay if he has a good season, because if he stays for two years and proves himself both years he will make a lot of money with his measurables.

BamaNation All-American BamaHoosier's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: QB Zach Gentry Commits to Texas

Quote Originally Posted by 230kv_barehand View Post
    Hopefully our QB play picks up because what was shown in A-Day wasn't that hot. Bateman has made a ton of strides though, but I'm not sure he'll sit around for two more years and not play. I hope so because we need able bodies there big time. I think if Winston comes out next year Coker will stay if he has a good season, because if he stays for two years and proves himself both years he will make a lot of money with his measurables.
    I really like our chances of keeping Coker for his two years of eligibility. The only way he goes high in the draft this year is if he has Heisman like numbers, and I just don't see that happening in our system. Two good years though, and he might have a pretty good shot of being taken within the first 3 rounds. Plus, he seems to be a very hard worker, and very intelligent based off of how hard he worked to get his degree from FSU, so I could see him being one that stays in school specifically to graduate.

I agree with you on Bateman though. I'm only guessing here, but my gut says that if he's not the guaranteed starter next year that he will consider transferring.
    Formerly BamaBomber