QB Zach Gentry Commits to Texas

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I know many may disagree but, I don't see a huge need to sign a QB in 2015. We have Jacob Coker in 2014 & 2015. Come 2016 Cooper Bateman will be a junior and David Cornwell will be a RS Sophomore. It is great if you can sign an elite QB every year but, sign one 2 out of every 3 years keeps a bunch of kids from slamming into one another.

In a perfect world Cornwell will take the job 2016-2018 and then a 2016 signee takes over in 2019 as. RS sophomore.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Re: Zach Gentry commits to Texas

I know many may disagree but, I don't see a huge need to sign a QB in 2015. We have Jacob Coker in 2014 & 2015. Come 2016 Cooper Bateman will be a junior and David Cornwell will be a RS Sophomore. It is great if you can sign an elite QB every year but, sign one 2 out of every 3 years keeps a bunch of kids from slamming into one another.

In a perfect world Cornwell will take the job 2016-2018 and then a 2016 signee takes over in 2019 as. RS sophomore.
In a truly perfect world, Wylie, all those names you mentioned can actually play. And given our own recent history, we can't say that.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

I thought Coker was only eligible for this upcoming season, he'll play 2015 as well?
He has 2 years of eligibility. He can play '14 and '15. I think Cornwell or Bateman is primed to take over in '16.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL

I think we should go after a solid 3-4 star kid from Alabama or Georgia. The type that is ranked around #20-#40. That may be our best bet this year.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Don't know how this thread never links up to the actual post title, but to that end let's just note for the record that Zach Gentry, a highly-touted pro-style quarterback recruit out of New Mexico, verbally committed to Texas yesterday. He could have had his pick of national programs, but decided on Austin as his college destination.

All of you should pay attention to the general build of this kid and what it entails for the future of the Texas offense under Charlie Strong. Gentry comes in at 6'7 and around 225 pounds, so he is essentially in the same physical mold of guys like Ryan Mallett and Zach Mettenberger. The Texas offense is just going to do a 180 from what we've seen over the past decade.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

Thank you BET for getting us back on track. I really thought we had a good shot at landing this kid. I guess Strong is going to someone to reckon with in recruiting after all. I think charlie strong is a good coach. I just didn't see him fitting in to Texas long-term. We'll see.

Gentry could be the building block for this Texas team. I still expect Bama to pick up a QB this year. I just have no idea who it will be now. We usually like to find a QB quickly who likes to recruit. This may be more like a Phillip Ely year.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011

The kid might be great, but what is really known after watching the tape of New Mexico HS football? There is always the chance that Coker has a great year and goes to the NFL after one season. If he doesn't, do you really want him to QB a second season?

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Hopefully our QB play picks up because what was shown in A-Day wasn't that hot. Bateman has made a ton of strides though, but I'm not sure he'll sit around for two more years and not play. I hope so because we need able bodies there big time. I think if Winston comes out next year Coker will stay if he has a good season, because if he stays for two years and proves himself both years he will make a lot of money with his measurables.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Hopefully our QB play picks up because what was shown in A-Day wasn't that hot. Bateman has made a ton of strides though, but I'm not sure he'll sit around for two more years and not play. I hope so because we need able bodies there big time. I think if Winston comes out next year Coker will stay if he has a good season, because if he stays for two years and proves himself both years he will make a lot of money with his measurables.
I really like our chances of keeping Coker for his two years of eligibility. The only way he goes high in the draft this year is if he has Heisman like numbers, and I just don't see that happening in our system. Two good years though, and he might have a pretty good shot of being taken within the first 3 rounds. Plus, he seems to be a very hard worker, and very intelligent based off of how hard he worked to get his degree from FSU, so I could see him being one that stays in school specifically to graduate.

I agree with you on Bateman though. I'm only guessing here, but my gut says that if he's not the guaranteed starter next year that he will consider transferring.

Wolfman

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 4, 2013
If Cokers plays well, no way he stays after next year. He's slated to go mid-first round in the NFL Mock Drafts for 2015. Mucho Moolah!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If Cokers plays well, no way he stays after next year. He's slated to go mid-first round in the NFL Mock Drafts for 2015. Mucho Moolah!
According to who? CBS Sports released their position rankings for the 2015 and 2016 drafts. He was the #5 QB for the 2016 draft.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Best case for us us that Coker is a good, solid, servicable qb next year much along the lines of first year starter GMac and AJM.

He doesn't have to be a star for us to win the SEC and even NC.

Then in 2015 he can really come into his own and light it up.

Cornwell is then sitting in the wings as a Redshirt Soph with 3 years to play in 2016.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.