If We Had Played FSU For The National Title--Would We Have Won?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
There's been a ton of analysis this off-season about our team this past season we just encountered.
Perceived problems are now coming out and being discussed in abundance. Hey, it's the off-season.
Understandable.
So now, I'll say this......Auburn gave FSU fits defensively because of that crazy offense they run.
Had we, in fact, won the SEC, had the kick return not occurred, had we made it to the title game---would we have beat them? Were we built to beat them?
Did we match up?
I'm not sure. Could we have covered Benjamin? Could we have stopped their running game? Could we have run against their defensive line? Could we have thrown against their secondary?
I'm really not sure. What do you guys think?
sip

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I don't know if anyone can answer this question, but I can tell you this: I'd rather not be in the game than be there and lose it.

Silver lining: Auburn will always be remembered as the SEC team who couldn't close the deal for the SEC and broke "the streak."

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I don't know if anyone can answer this question, but I can tell you this: I'd rather not be in the game than be there and lose it.

Silver lining: Auburn will always be remembered as the SEC team who couldn't close the deal for the SEC and broke "the streak."
Hey Moon, my good man, that's a convenient answer, but what do you think?

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Had we played them in the regular season, no. They might've won by double digits. But because of the CNS preparation factor, I think we would've beaten them for the BCSNCG. No idea how, but CNS would've found a way. Before the 2011 BCSNCG, he took a weakness (special teams) and turned it into a strength. FSU wouldn't have changed a single thing about their gameplan, and they'd have wished they stayed at home that day. Our OL would've played the game of their life, as would AJ, Cooper, Yeldon, Drake, and Norwood.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Depends...did we demolish Mizzou or win a close game. I think the UGA game helped us go into the title game without an entitled attitude. I think the same would be true against FSU.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Actually, I'm not sure they had the tempo to beat us. I still contend that our defense was the best in the nation when they had time to get the call in and get set. And FSU's OL wasn't really much to write home about, despite the fact they had several all-conference guys.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It's the land of the unproven hypothesis. There are several points to make:

1) Our team would have heard NON-STOP for five weeks about how a win would make them "the greatest ever" and how no team has ever actually "three-peated." How much pressure does that add for us and motivation for them?

2) 21-3 over FSU would have been different than 21-7 over Auburn precisely BECAUSE of Auburn's coming back.Remember that the score entering the fourth in the BCSNCG was Auburn 21 FSU 13. Remember - Georgia scored 21 points in less than eight minutes on Auburn, we drove inside their 20 THREE TIMES in the fourth quarter without getting a point plus got a TD, and FSU scored 21 points in about 11 minutes.

I don't think they would have been able to do that against us. Only one team all year, Texas A/M, really showed an ability to get up off the mat (we never put Auburn fully out) - and even that was caused by Yeldon fumbling away the killer TD.

3) How many of the new guys feel "entitled" and like they just have to show up? We are told that was a problem. Could it have been worse in the NCG?

4) It's very hard to pick against CNS with all that prep time. FSU didn't really have to prepare for Auburn at all. Note that once the Tigers had basically run their scripted plays, they didn't really do anything until the fourth quarter.

5) Would a missed FG have gotten into Foster's head (even if the Auburn return didn't happen)? No way to know

There's more but that's enough. Suffice it to say we'll never know.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
It's the land of the unproven hypothesis. There are several points to make:

1) Our team would have heard NON-STOP for five weeks about how a win would make them "the greatest ever" and how no team has ever actually "three-peated." How much pressure does that add for us and motivation for them?

2) 21-3 over FSU would have been different than 21-7 over Auburn precisely BECAUSE of Auburn's coming back.Remember that the score entering the fourth in the BCSNCG was Auburn 21 FSU 13. Remember - Georgia scored 21 points in less than eight minutes on Auburn, we drove inside their 20 THREE TIMES in the fourth quarter without getting a point plus got a TD, and FSU scored 21 points in about 11 minutes.

I don't think they would have been able to do that against us. Only one team all year, Texas A/M, really showed an ability to get up off the mat (we never put Auburn fully out) - and even that was caused by Yeldon fumbling away the killer TD.

3) How many of the new guys feel "entitled" and like they just have to show up? We are told that was a problem. Could it have been worse in the NCG?

4) It's very hard to pick against CNS with all that prep time. FSU didn't really have to prepare for Auburn at all. Note that once the Tigers had basically run their scripted plays, they didn't really do anything until the fourth quarter.

5) Would a missed FG have gotten into Foster's head (even if the Auburn return didn't happen)? No way to know

There's more but that's enough. Suffice it to say we'll never know.
True Selma--I'm excluding all, "what if's", right or wrong. I'm just asking, I guess, for lack of a better phrase, "Did we match up with FSU", based on what we know now about our team?
sip

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Well I guess it was only a matter of time before a thread like this came up. It's hard to say. One thing for sure though they would have been MUCH TOUGHER that Notre Lame was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.