Derrick Henry has created quite the buzz with his new car picture on instagram

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Let's be fair here, if it were Nick Marshall from Auburn or an Jameis Winston, we'd all be saying the same things. I don't doubt that in this case Henry got the car legitimately, but even the most rabid Bama fan has to admit that it still looks suspicious. Hopefully it was a parent or relative who bought it for him legitimately, it's just rare to see most people to be able to buy that kind of car for their 18 yo kid.
Yea I agree. It was probably financed for DH by a family member on the assumption he would pay it off when he gets his first NFL check. Family will probably swing the payments till then.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Let's be fair here, if it were Nick Marshall from Auburn or an Jameis Winston, we'd all be saying the same things. I don't doubt that in this case Henry got the car legitimately, but even the most rabid Bama fan has to admit that it still looks suspicious. Hopefully it was a parent or relative who bought it for him legitimately, it's just rare to see most people to be able to buy that kind of car for their 18 yo kid.
There's (at least) 2 Challengers, 3 Camaros like your's, 4 or 5 Mustangs (2 convertibles) and tons of late model Z71's and late model 4X4 F150's that are sitting in the High School parking lot every single morning.

I drove a 10 year old Z28 in HS, and was considered one of the luckier ones back then. Times have changed, and a lot of young people are driving very nice, late model cars these days.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
There's (at least) 2 Challengers, 3 Camaros like your's, 4 or 5 Mustangs (2 convertibles) and tons of late model Z71's and late model 4X4 F150's that are sitting in the High School parking lot every single morning.

I drove a 10 year old Z28 in HS, and was considered one of the luckier ones back then. Times have changed, and a lot of young people are driving very nice, late model cars these days.

I agree. You wouldn't believe what some of the kids drove at my school...while I was driving up in a '93 Saturn car. Lol

You have some people who live in modest homes, but drive luxurious cars. And visa versa..just depends on priorities.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
you definitely did not go to my high school or my college.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I drove to school in an '88 Chevy Astrovan. Most of my friends had much better rides. What's the value of that thing? It can't be that expensive.
Depends on the value. A Dodge Challenger 6 cylinder would only be in the low $20's, and SRT basic would be prob mid 20's, loaded 6 would be in the mid to upper 20's. If it has the Hemi engine you would be looking somewhere in the $30-40k depending on the trim package within the car. Also depends on how new it is and if he was able to get a GMC discount. It may not have been more than $20k depending on the package.

And fair point about the cars high school kids drive these days. I live not to far from a pretty affluent area, and there are a bunch of luxury and sports cars being driven by kids everyday. I didn't even think about it.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I don't see this as having anything to do with race. I remember some people (not on this forum) asking how McElroy was driving a range rover while he was at bama (yea I know his dad was a cowboys executive but some people didn't). I think any college athlete at a big time school like bama that post a pic with a new car or sports car will raise eyebrows. I just don't get the racial connection. Everybody I saw talking about it on twitter were asking where a college student that doesn't work gets money to buy a car like that, which those questions were well answered in this thread. Nobody I saw brought up his skin color or racial overtones. It's almost as if the ones that feel they are being oppressed because of their skin color are always the first ones to say something like this has do with race.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I don't see this as having anything to do with race. I remember some people (not on this forum) asking how McElroy was driving a range rover while he was at bama (yea I know his dad was a cowboys executive but some people didn't). I think any college athlete at a big time school like bama that post a pic with a new car or sports car will raise eyebrows. I just don't get the racial connection. Everybody I saw talking about it on twitter were asking where a college student that doesn't work gets money to buy a car like that, which those questions were well answered in this thread. Nobody I saw brought up his skin color or racial overtones. It's almost as if the ones that feel they are being oppressed because of their skin color are always the first ones to say something like this has do with race.

Quite honestly, it is an Alabama thing. I doubt anyone looks at players from Vandy and wonder how they own their cars.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
You must not have been to any high school parking lot recently. The lots where the students park typically have nicer cars in them than the teachers' lot.

Many parents, black, white and other races, want their children to have a better life than they did. As a result, many kids are getting cars when they turn 16. By the time they get to college, at 18, they are ready for another car which is usually newer with more features. In many instances for kids going off to college, their car is equal to or better than that of their parents because moms want their babies to have the most reliable car they can afford.

Today it is so very common for 18 year olds to have those kinds of cars. Don't believe me, check out UA's campus on move-in day.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yup..My oldest daughter will turn 16 in 2yrs..My ex wife & myself has put our money together & bought her a really nice(and safe) 2010 Toyota Camry..It's a lot nicer than my 1999 Dodge Intrepid, but, I want my girls to have nicer stuff than I had growing up & what I have right now..I don't want to be worried about her at night when she is off doing her thang with her friends..Crap..My Dodge Intrepid is a piece of crap that I worry will breakdown on me ,when I go to my Heart Doctor appointments in B'Ham from Anniston or if I ever get the call for a transplant..I hope it gets me to UAB & not breakdown on the way..That would suck should I miss out n my heart transplant cause my car broke down on the way..LOL..What can you do..As long as my girls are safe..That's what I care about the most..
You must not have been to any high school parking lot recently. The lots where the students park typically have nicer cars in them than the teachers' lot.

Many parents, black, white and other races, want their children to have a better life than they did. As a result, many kids are getting cars when they turn 16. By the time they get to college, at 18, they are ready for another car which is usually newer with more features. In many instances for kids going off to college, their car is equal to or better than that of their parents because moms want their babies to have the most reliable car they can afford.

Today it is so very common for 18 year olds to have those kinds of cars. Don't believe me, check out UA's campus on move-in day.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I agree with this, too. Some of the barntards from ITAT were actually following AJ around and taking pics of him when he got his Tahoe.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I would look suspicious if as a recruit or freshman he was waving around a wad of cash. It would look suspicious if he got the car as soon as he got on campus.

Now though? He could be entering the draft in a couple of years, most families could easily afford a payment on a car like that for 24 months.

I know someone who bought his daughter a brand new car because she got a sports scholarship to Faulkner. I'm guessing they must pay their softball players well, heh...

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

McGill's parking lot was full of "new" or "late model" Beamers and 4Runners back in the late 90's - don't think it has changed much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.