Family attacked in Savannah

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=877832688909016&id=197232756969016

Stations Facebook post said:
WATCH NOW: The Security Video from the Mother's Day River Street incident. It starts where police say one family passed the other family and words were exchanged. SAVANNAH, GA. (May 13, 2014): Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police detectives continue to collect and review videos of an altercation between what appears to be two families on River Street Saturday night and are seeking participants to complete their investigation.

Downtown Precinct detectives would like to interview three males and two females about the altercation which took place near Rousakis Plaza about 9:48 p.m.

Videos being reviewed by detectives show two large groups of people, each including children, walking on River Street. When one group encountered eight members of an Atlanta family standing on the sidewalk, one male avoided contact by walking into River Street while a male and female worked their way through the family.

Just after that male walked through the cluster of family members, he was confronted by one or two males in the family and a verbal altercation ensued. The male who had walked around the family pulled the other male away and they left. But one of the males in the Atlanta family continued to talk to him. He broke free from the male who was leading him away and ran back into the crowd where a fight ensued, with members of both groups trying to break it up.

The video does show a female with the second group trying to separate the parties and pulling a female family member away by her hair. But detectives could find no sign of a 6-year-old or 13-year-old child being punched, as a member of the family announced in a Facebook posting.

Police were on scene within 10 minutes of the first call, but the second group had left by then. The videos showed that members of both groups were carrying beverages and officers on scene reported a heavy odor of alcohol.

“We certainly understand the frustration of a family who came to Savannah for an enjoyable weekend and ended up with injuries from an unpleasant situation,” said Police Chief Julie Tolbert. “But preliminary investigations show this was not a random act. We will continue to determine all the facts as we move forward.”

Detectives are asking members of the second group, which appeared to be a family with children and an older couple, to come forward and provide their version of the altercation. One male was wearing a yellow shirt, the other a red shirt and later took it off and was wearing a white tank top. A younger female was wearing a white skirt or shorts and a beige or yellow top. The elder male was wearing all white and a white hat. They are asked to contact Downtown Precinct detectives via the SCMPD non-emergency number (912) 651-6500.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
The guy in the yellow is trying to keep the guy in the red shirt from going over and is pushing him along likely saying "let it go."

I like how the guy in the red shirt takes it off after the fight probably trying to hide his identity.

Whether the other party said something or not, the guy in the red initiated the physical confrontation and should be held responsible.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
This would not have happened with a pistol. Men you need to arm up to be able to take care of your family from the scum of the earth.
Alternatively, one could say "Don't get drunk and act like a butthead in front of your kids." But the gun and fear angle makes a lot more sense. I mean seriously, who doesn't think its a good idea to go get hammered, carry a gun around in public, start a verbal altercation, and FINALLY be able to end it for the good guys.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Alternatively, one could say "Don't get drunk and act like a butthead in front of your kids." But the gun and fear angle makes a lot more sense. I mean seriously, who doesn't think its a good idea to go get hammered, carry a gun around in public, start a verbal altercation, and FINALLY be able to end it for the good guys.
Pulling out a gun on a crowded street sounds like a great idea.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Absolute truth. I can't tell you how many times I've simply bit my tongue instead of barking at someone simply because I'm upset or offended. Someone bumps into my kid or wife, assuming they aren't hurt, we probably just move along - is it really worth someone being injured, even dying, over some jerk wad being rude?

If I'm out with my family like this, I'm not drinking as I will be carrying - thus my reactions will be more logical and more inhibited, less emotional.

The reality is both parties appear to be at fault in this one. Sure, someone 'started it', but part of being a mature adult is not having to react like a schoolyard child when you feel 'dissed'...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
here is a firsthand account, this is going around facebook

My family fell victim to an unwarranted, viciously brutal attack in Savannah, Ga. Saturday evening while enjoying a Mothers Day weekend. This is a long read, but please "LIKE" and "SHARE" this story so that we can prevent this type of crime from happening to other families.

Saturday evening (05/10/14 approx 9:30 pm) my family was violently attacked and robbed on the Riverwalk in Savannah, Ga.

It all took place shortly after dinner – around 9:30. I was with my family (of five: my wife Sarah, our two sons Owen 11 and Noah 9, and our daughter Julia 6), accompanied with my brother-in-law Rob (who is also my business partner of an Atlanta based business), his girlfriend Roberta, and his daughter Savannah 13.

We had walked along the Savannah Riverwalk from our hotel (Savannah Riverfront Marriott) to have dinner at the Bayou Cafe. After dinner, we explored the river front shopping -“touristy”- area and purchased some memorabilia in some the stores. As we came closer to the Hyatt we were confronted by an adult male who was extremely hostile. As our attention was concentrated on this particular person, I was rushed and tackled -FROM BEHIND- into a parked car by another man. I went headfirst into the side of this car with the full weight of my assailant on top of me and crashed face-first into the pavement. Immediately, there were FOUR more men who punched and kicked me in the back of the head and neck while I was on the ground.

Our children watched in horror as my brother-in-law (Rob) tried to pull these attackers off of me, only to have another large adult male grab him from behind with his forearm buried into his neck, squeezing his carotid arteries, and smashing him to the ground.

As I was escaping from the melee of attackers upon myself, I saw a large male dragging my wife by her hair across the Riverwalk. I did everything possible to make sure that his hands were completely released from my wife. I was then, once again, assaulted by several more people from behind.

My brother-in-law, Rob had been held in a choke-hold just long enough for the main instigator to run to him and send a solid strike to his left eye (which instantly swelled shut). Rob was however, able to free himself from the choking restraint of his attackers... But I would expect nothing less... After-all, he is a retired Airborne Ranger from the US Army!

But our strengths and alert minds were simply not enough to save our children from this brutal attack. I could care less about the bags of our recent purchases being stolen during this attack/robbery and the cuts and bruises on my body. What really upsets me is that my 6 yr old daughter was punched in the stomach. Both of my sons were thrown around. My niece was viciously attacked by one of the older women in this crowd, Roberta was scratched up mercilessly as she tried to save the children, and my wife was yanked around by her hair by a man 3 times her size. All EIGHT of us were assaulted!

What really puzzles me is this: WHERE WERE THE POLICE???

There was absolutely NO POLICE PRESENCE anywhere to be seen or heard from.

In order to escape further attack we rushed into an ice cream / candy store which was merely 10 feet away from where the incident took place on the Riverwalk. Our attackers stood out front in a mob, waiting for us. The shop owner, yelled at us that he didn't need any of this in his store to hurt his business. Mind you, we are BLEEDING from multiple lacerations, our clothes torn apart, and with a group of small terrified children. We asked him to PLEASE call 911 and get the police there immediately.

After several minutes we left our “safe haven” inside the store and moved quickly down towards our hotel. The whole time these same attackers followed us at a short distance.

We finally did see 2 patrol officers (almost 25 mins after the incident) They took a statement and called for an ambulance. We explained that the people responsible for this attack were STILL there. We never saw any more police patrol or backup.

We were treated by the EMS for lacerations and were advised to get X-rays.

The following morning (after checking out of the hotel), Rob and I went to an urgent care clinic in Savannah and our wives drove separately to take the children home. Rob had been hit so hard, that it has probably fractured his orbital and damaged his left eye. I have multiple scratches, bruises and a scratched lens in my right eye. We both have severe head & neck trauma.

It's incredulous that this kind of incident could happen in such a well traveled "touristy" area. There MUST be something done in order to have more police presence in this area along the Riverwalk. Visitors should ABSOLUTELY become aware that Savannah, Ga. needs to step up their game in protecting their visitors.

Please help me put a stop on tourist attacks.

For police information regarding this attack, please contact the Savannah Chatham Police Dept located at 201 Habersham St. Savannah, Ga. 301401. Case Report Number: 140510183 Officer Nelson P.R. 11817

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Another aspect of the guy possibly pulling a gun. He did start yelling at the guy, which led to the other guy attacking him. We don't know what he said, but the fact he did play a role in "starting it", could make self defense turn into involuntary manslaughter.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.