Question: Is the committee that formed the Playoff system going to regret it?

KillVols

1st Team
Oct 23, 2004
I'm not sure if anyone ever posted this new website http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com but I found it the other day and it had a lot more information about everything than I had previously read....like how they are going to vote....A lot more details. I am in the SEC and Alabama are going to get screwed camp. I could write a manifesto of the ways I think we could get screwed....not to mention that history tells us that there has traditionally been Bama envy by the northern Sports writers etc. Also I think there is still going to be an AP, although it will not count for much....but it will be compared to the committees picks...Academia has always wanted to control athletics. There will likely be crazy things considered, perhaps even graduation rates and stupid crap like that...."fairness" But the first time the AP greatly differs from their voting, all hell is going to break loose. Correct me if I am wrong but I think in 2008 when we went undefeated in the regular season we lost the very good game against Florida in the SEC champ game.. We were still in the top four afterwards? We wont be in the future...conference champs will be a determining factor....not the best four!

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
I have no doubt fans coast to coast will be disappointed. It happened almost every single year with the BCS (the only true exceptions were 1999, 2002, 2005, and 2009).

Well, yes and no. It guarantees that 2003 LSU won't split a title or 2004 Auburn won't be shut out. But on the other hand that whole point became moot when the SEC reeled off seven straight title wins.

Two points:

1) I agree completely with you regarding simply expanding the formula to include three and four. If I had known this monstrosity was coming, I would have simply kept the system nobody really liked anyway.

2) Whether or not the BCS got it "right" "most" years is irrelevant. If it ever got it wrong once it needs to be changed. The mere fact a team folks thought might be the best wound up winning the game doesn't alter some of the stupidity that went into it.

But I also don't think it was so bad that it needed to be tossed into the ashbin, either. However, let me show you an excellent example of a legitimate problem: why did Alabama's five-point loss at home to Texas A/M hurt the Tide less than Oregon's three-point overtime loss at home to Stanford? Both opponents that won were about even (both were two-loss teams), the schedules top to bottom were close to even, and both lost in November. Why did Oregon's cost them more? And don't even say "because Alabama won their conference championship," because this is the very point most folks here are upset about. The conference championship shouldn't matter - so you cannot legitimately argue that it did then.

My point is not to impugn us but to simply point out legitimate questions. The fact Alabama won out in the end does not alter whether or not a system that treats the loss by one team to a similar level opponent differently is by definition unfair. At least when it comes to Okie State one can simply make the point that losing to a .500 ballclub you had down 24-7 in the second half pretty much proves your unworthiness. But that claim cannot be made about Oregon in 2012.

Well, let's look at your scenario as laid out and I think you would actually have to endorse the choice if the situation were to arise.

No problem so far.

Whether or not this is true would depend in large part on a number of factors, including how big the loss was and whether or not there were any other unbeaten teams left.

It would depend on the record. However, I can guarantee you that unless the one loss is in the conference title game, two of those leagues will get a one-loss team in there nearly every time. The Big 12 will......if it's Oklahoma.

That depends on a number of factors:

- did LSU blow out all of their other opponents? Were they handed a referee's gift?

- did they play a VERY tough schedule

- how good did Wisconsin do since they play LSU? Did Wisconsin beat the one-loss Big Ten team? Is Wisconsin that team?

I contend that in 2011 that if we had had a four-team playoff, Alabama would still have made it in. The reasons for that are numerous but keep in mind that NOBODY outside of Stillwater, Oklahoma tried to argue that were anything less than one of the two best teams. Hell, even LSU fans admitted that at the time.

Look at who we had:

1) LSU - unbeaten, SEC champion
2) Alabama - only loss in OT to LSU
3) Oklahoma State - one-loss Big 12 champion
4) Stanford - Pac-12 champion, one huge loss to Oregon
5) Oregon - losses to both two and four (eliminated)
6) Arkansas - losses to 1 and 2 (eliminated)
7) Boise State - 11-1, did not win Mountain West conference

Nobody else was a serious contender in the real world. Only Boise State is left, which leads to some simple reasoning.

Both Boise State and Alabama lost at home
Both failed to win their conferences
Alabama's SOS was far greater than Boise's
Alabama's loss was in OT to the nation's only unbeaten team

The verdict: Alabama

This would have taken no bias to figure out. And this is in the so-called tough situation.

If LSU in your scenario wants in, they have to win. It's that simple. Just because Alabama and Aubun have benefited from second chances in recent years doesn't mean one can rely on the back door being open.
I hear a lot of fans and people on talk radio that seem to feel The SEC will get 2 teams rather often. I see it that The SEC will get 2 teams in VERY rarely. I believe one loss SEC teams that have a stronger case than a one loss Champ from another Power League will almost always get passed over.

I would wager this selection committee finds a way to get it wrong in the first couple of years.

KillVols

1st Team
Oct 23, 2004
I wonder if the common opponents consideration will also lead to running up the scores? Condi is going to be staying up late nights reviewing a significant amount of game video? haha-- will be interesting. When was the last time that at least two of the top four team in america didn't play in the SEC championship? That game has really been "The Championship" each and every year for a decade. Certainly more competitive than the poor souls that find themselves lining up across from the SEC in the BCS Champ game.

"Selection committee members will have flexibility to examine whatever data they believe is relevant to inform their decisions. They will also review a significant amount of game video. Among the many factors the committee will consider are win-loss record, strength of schedule, head-to-head results, comparison of results against common opponents and conference championships. Each committee member will evaluate the data at hand, and then the individuals will come together to make a group decision."

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/story?id=10328143

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I hear a lot of fans and people on talk radio that seem to feel The SEC will get 2 teams rather often. I see it that The SEC will get 2 teams in VERY rarely. I believe one loss SEC teams that have a stronger case than a one loss Champ from another Power League will almost always get passed over.

I would wager this selection committee finds a way to get it wrong in the first couple of years.
I agree.
When the SEC went against Saban's preference of a nine game conference schedule and stuck with eight instead...it almost seemed like they were shooting their own conference in the foot...working to keep a rule that will make it less likely we would see two SEC teams in the four team playoff.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I agree.
When the SEC went against Saban's preference of a nine game conference schedule and stuck with eight instead...it almost seemed like they were shooting their own conference in the foot...working to keep a rule that will make it less likely we would see two SEC teams in the four team playoff.
They are scared and weak minded. To think that's CNS get criticized for having a "cupcake" schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I hear a lot of fans and people on talk radio that seem to feel The SEC will get 2 teams rather often. I see it that The SEC will get 2 teams in VERY rarely. I believe one loss SEC teams that have a stronger case than a one loss Champ from another Power League will almost always get passed over. I would wager this selection committee finds a way to get it wrong in the first couple of years.
Who really knows what's going to happen, but IMO if the SEC has two 1 loss teams the one that did not win the SECC will be trumped by a 1 loss Big 10, PAC 12 and Big 12 champion. That is why I believe the playoff will go to 8 teams within 3-5 years.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Maybe a little off topic but had there been an 8 team playoff than 2010 Alabama would have made it. IMO.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Arkansauce, Mich State, Boise State, Lousyana State, Mizzou, Va Tech, and Ok State, were ranked above us. How do you see us making an 8 team playoff over all of them?
I'm only saying that because idk and not does anybody else know how they will select teams. If maybe one year they don't pick someone ranked in the top 4 or 8. Also Alabama already beat Arky that year.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Maybe a little off topic but had there been an 8 team playoff than 2010 Alabama would have made it. IMO.

I doubt it.

Auburn, Arkansas and LSU were better than us just in the division (record-wise).

An eight-team playoff in 2010:

Auburn
Oregon
TCU

Those three without anyone batting an eye.

Five spots left.

Stanford had only one loss and played a VERY tough schedule
Ohio State (12-1) lost to an 11-2 team, Wisconsin. Btw - Wisconsin won the Big Ten that year.

So at this point we can be sure Stanford is in.

Four spots left for:

Ohio State (12-1) but didn't win their conference
Wisconsin (11-2) but did win their conference and beat Ohio St
Oklahoma (12-2) with road losses to Mizzou and aTm but won the conference
Boise St (12-1) with a loss to Nevada-Reno
Nevada-Reno (12-1) with a loss to Hawaii but won the conference

At this point we have four spots. I figure you get Nevada-Reno and OU for sure. So we're down to two spots.

And I just don't see how you pick Alabama over OU, Wisconsin, Ohio St, Michigan St, LSU (11-2 and beat us) or even Okie St.

True - Alabama drilled Michigan St, but you wouldn't have had that result when the field was being picked.

With two spots left and that competition? We wouldn't have made it.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Yeah well had there been a 16 team playoff than....nah I'm JK...I can agree that this current 4 team layout will expand to a 8 team in 3-4 years. 16-0 would be a very hard feat to accomplish. Yale did it in 1894. Of course they and other Ivy league schools played 12-15 games in the 1880's and 90's. Sometimes 2 games in a week.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I've thought all along that we are ultimately headed to four super conferences and an
8+ game playoff, and so far I've seen nothing to make me think otherwise.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
going to enjoy college football while I still can, once they go to a 16 team playoff (and they will) I will have zero interest in the regular season. Sure I will watch the occasional big regular season game, but I will not care at all when Bama is playing a 3-8 auburn team.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
going to enjoy college football while I still can, once they go to a 16 team playoff (and they will) I will have zero interest in the regular season. Sure I will watch the occasional big regular season game, but I will not care at all when Bama is playing a 3-8 auburn team.
Ahh man please don't say that. 8 teams is enough and we haven't even began the first 4 team playoff yet.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Just what we all need - 7-6 MTSU beating an SEC powerhouse on a referee's call and winning the national championship.

I AM, however, all for breaking up the divisions.

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL
Yes, it will be regretted by those of us who loved college football...

And every person needs to read "Krazy3's" posts with a tear in their own eye, and say to themselves, "He tried to warn us...", over and over and over.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.