News Article: Morris as punter

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
What? I'm completely lost right now. Instead of being sarcastic, maybe someone can explain what this has to do with the article?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
What? I'm completely lost right now. Instead of being sarcastic, maybe someone can explain what this has to do with the article?

There used to be a time when sarcasm was all over this board, and no one complained. Those were good times.

GrayTide must have watched the video of Saban saying he likes the idea of the playoff committee selected the bowls rather than the bowls selecting the teams.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
This is one of my Top 3 issues; thanks for addressing it. Morris had better not be the answer unless he drastically improves his technique (spiral) this summer.

One of the others (Pizzola?) was kicking nice 45-50 yard spirals in A-day warmups. I commented, "Thank goodness that kid can step in for Cody Mandell!" Then our QB punted all game and is clearly not as far along. I don't know if that kid shanks them under scrimmage conditions, but I sure hope we find the right answer. Sometimes I fear CNS signed a deal with the devil for a magic touch of all things football, but somehow a kicking game exclusion was in the fine print.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
There used to be a time when sarcasm was all over this board, and no one complained. Those were good times.

GrayTide must have watched the video of Saban saying he likes the idea of the playoff committee selected the bowls rather than the bowls selecting the teams.
He did. As for Morris as our punter, typically a QB is a very good athlete and punting or place kicking skills would be included. If Morris is coached up and given the opportunity he could develop into a pretty good punter.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
This is one of my Top 3 issues; thanks for addressing it. Morris had better not be the answer unless he drastically improves his technique (spiral) this summer.

One of the others (Pizzola?) was kicking nice 45-50 yard spirals in A-day warmups. I commented, "Thank goodness that kid can step in for Cody Mandell!" Then our QB punted all game and is clearly not as far along. I don't know if that kid shanks them under scrimmage conditions, but I sure hope we find the right answer. Sometimes I fear CNS signed a deal with the devil for a magic touch of all things football, but somehow a kicking game exclusion was in the fine print.
I watched all three warm up, and none impressed me. Morris looked better (in my opinion) during A-Day than all three looked warming up.

It's an area of concern, but I'm far more concerned about place kicking at this point. I think Morris could improve, and he seemed to do a decent job of getting the punts inside the 20 yard line. I think he could present an option in terms of short punts/fake punts. The hope, of course is that the punter Alabama has coming in lives up to his potential and we don't have to worry about anyone else doing most of the punting.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
I watched all three warm up, and none impressed me. Morris looked better (in my opinion) during A-Day than all three looked warming up.

It's an area of concern, but I'm far more concerned about place kicking at this point. I think Morris could improve, and he seemed to do a decent job of getting the punts inside the 20 yard line. I think he could present an option in terms of short punts/fake punts. The hope, of course is that the punter Alabama has coming in lives up to his potential and we don't have to worry about anyone else doing most of the punting.
{Obviously I didn't hit the link before I ranted - I'm all for the sarcasm in the post.}

I agree that whenever we're around the 50 it'd be great to trot him out with a punk/fake option. Heck, why don't more teams have a QB who just lines up in the shotgun on 4th and 2, drops back or rolls out, and either passes or punts? How awesome would it be to always do that?

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
{Obviously I didn't hit the link before I ranted - I'm all for the sarcasm in the post.}

I agree that whenever we're around the 50 it'd be great to trot him out with a punk/fake option. Heck, why don't more teams have a QB who just lines up in the shotgun on 4th and 2, drops back or rolls out, and either passes or punts? How awesome would it be to always do that?
I'm all for going against conventional wisdom in those 4th and 2 from midfield situations. Trot Morris out there and let him have a punt/play option based on the defense, or even go for it with no punt option if the offense is clicking and the drive was stalled by a penalty. Make use of the QB/punter and force the other team to adjust to defend all options.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I really think CNS needs to move DH to MLB.
LOL..You forgot to put that in Blue Bro..

As far as Morris punting the ball, I would love to see him develop into a quality punter. cause I just get the feeling, that's his best route to see significant PT as our punter & it would make teams respect the fact Morris is a QB, that can burn them, by faking a punt by throwing it long to a WR..It would make teams take time & specifically practice against that when they play us..And that's nothing but a good thang..Personally..I hope this true freshman comes in & tears it up & wins the starting job from the get-go..Other teams like the viles consistently has an AA punter & I think we should be able to..

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I knew what he was referring to but I just wondered what that had to do with Morris being tried as a Punter, that's all.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.