College Football Traditions at Bama

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's the traditions of the college game that really set it apart from professional sports IMO. I saw a thread on another site about best and worst traditions.

It made me think of our Bama traditions and also made me think that traditions have to be started or born. So what are some "new" traditions (oxymoron I know) you'd like to see started at Bama.

Old traditions I like:
WINNING - kinda a cop out, but it's what I always tell the Barners
Pre-game videos
Sweet Home Alabama 30 minutes before kickoff.
Band pre-game show, especially Tusk when Big AL parades around.

New traditions:

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
Axe...

Gameday radios - exploitation
Dixieland Delight
Sweet Caroline

Add

Beer Sales - it is coming anyway
The Shorty White "Fan of the Game" award to a lucky person
Concerts after each game

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I don't disagree with your axe list except for the fact that the fans, especially the students, seem to enjoy Dixieland Delight. I don't approve of the bad language in the added lyrics.

I've seen plenty of beer sold in BDS so I'm not sure what your comment about adding beer sales means. I really do like the idea of a "free" concert afterwards. It would give fans something to do as the traffic thinned out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Where . . . ?
Apparently I'm thinking about other places. I'm not a drinker so I wouldn't notice as much, but I clearly remember being at a game somewhere and watching the folks in front of me order $5 beers over and over again. Sorry for the confusion.

afadam07

1st Team
Aug 21, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
I don't disagree with your axe list except for the fact that the fans, especially the students, seem to enjoy Dixieland Delight. I don't approve of the bad language in the added lyrics.

I've seen plenty of beer sold in BDS so I'm not sure what your comment about adding beer sales means. I really do like the idea of a "free" concert afterwards. It would give fans something to do as the traffic thinned out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe more people would stay in the 4th Q. lol

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Apparently I'm thinking about other places. I'm not a drinker so I wouldn't notice as much, but I clearly remember being at a game somewhere and watching the folks in front of me order $5 beers over and over again. Sorry for the confusion.
they sell beer at the georgia dome (but not seccg i think) and jerry world. i think they also sell at bowl games

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Maybe more people would stay in the 4th Q. lol
That's really not a bad idea at all. It costs about $50,000 to book a nationally known band. That's a drop in the bucket. That's right at .50 out of each game ticket sold. If the concert last an hour or so, the University would MORE than make up for that on the extra concessions sold during that time.

It would keep people through the 4th quarter, it would actually create more revenue and it would be a really fun way to cap off 7-8 home games per year.

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
I love the rammer jammer chant at the end of the game. And, I am proud that BAMA does not toss toilet paper in the trees :smile:. I am also not too fond of the cow bells @ Miss. St. That just really screams "Cow College". But, I do like the Florida State Indian with the flaming spear.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I've never seen the Fl. St. mascot on the horse plant his spear at midfield in person, but many say that is one of the best traditions in college football.

I've heard some "objective" people say the eagle flight at the Barn is pretty spectacular (of course as great as this is it is offset with the worse tradtion of all time when they roll their own campus).

As for Bama, what spectacular new tradition could we add to the pre-game moments say just before the team arrives? After the band does their pre-game show they sometimes stand in place as some loud song is played over the PA just before the team runs on to the field. This is when the crowd is probably at the most fever pitch ready to cheer, aside from when Bama runs onto the field.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.