Pat White: "Still Glad I Turned Down A 'vette [From Alabama] To Become A Mountaineer

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Re: Pat White: "Still Glad I Turned Down A 'vette [From Alabama] To Become A Moun...

Just think - if he had gone pro back then and been a failure at baseball, but still had college football eligibility left, the REC surely could swing a sweetheart deal for him on an SL550 from Nick Saban Mercedes.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Re: Pat White: "Still Glad I Turned Down A 'vette [From Alabama] To Become A Moun...

I can see Pat White telling the truth. Probably went down like this:

Some random Bama fan in Daphne said "Hey Pat, you go to Bama and I's give you a Corvette. RTR, Pat!!"

Since he wasn't offered a scholarship and claimed he left the state because he wanted to play QB, I seriously doubt anyone in the position to be a "bagman" or "car dealer" would have offered him a Corvette.
Sounds about right.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Pat White: "Still Glad I Turned Down A 'vette [From Alabama] To Become A Mountain

Better to keep quiet and have some think that you are foolish than open your mouth and leave no doubt.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

"Since Michael Sams received such a huge amount of publicity for his announcement, I feel I should receive the same amount of publicity. Therefore, members of Twitter, today, I am here to announce, that I am openly stupid"

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
Re: Pat White: "Still Glad I Turned Down A 'vette [From Alabama] To Become A Mountain

The dude can't even spell Corvette. IMO, he is upset bc he couldn't play QB at Bama or most of the SEC schools.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana

Doesn't seem that far fetched to me. Pat White's services were probably worth a Chevette.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

Well then what did WV give him that was better than a Corvette to come Play for them?????...Must have been something really nice, cause Corvvette' s are top of the line..Must have given cash so he could just pick out his own ride & have $$$$ left over to buy him some crab legs...LOL

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

O.K., I'm guilty of burying the kid, and he shouldn't have said it. I have no idea why he did.
Honestly, he was quite the damn QB in college. He was scarily athletic, and made some remarkable plays.
I remember watching him and thinking, "How did we let this kid get away?"..
I think it was Shula who didn't offer him as a QB.
If that's the case, then we were dumb. He could have helped us as a QB, even if we had to change our offense.
But to say we offered him a Vette, but didn't want him as a QB, is like saying we offered him a Vette to be our CFO, but didn't want him to have any contact with the accounting department.
Common sense should apply here.
sip

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA

O.K., I'm guilty of burying the kid, and he shouldn't have said it. I have no idea why he did.
Honestly, he was quite the damn QB in college. He was scarily athletic, and made some remarkable plays.
If that's the case, then we were dumb. He could have helped us as a QB, even if we had to change our offense.
But to say we offered him a Vette, but didn't want him as a QB, is like saying we offered him a Vette to be our CFO, but didn't want him to have any contact with the accounting department.
sip
i lived in morgantown while he played at wvu. he was electric and i thought the same thing...how did we not give him a shot? he had a reputation as a real strong leader and was a good student too. seemed like an all-around good kid. i have no idea why he would say something like this.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

i lived in morgantown while he played at wvu. he was electric and i thought the same thing...how did we not give him a shot? he had a reputation as a real strong leader and was a good student too. seemed like an all-around good kid. i have no idea why he would say something like this.
Sometimes, I guess, you want something so much, that you're bitter when you didn't get it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

sip
The answer is that Shula wouldn't change his offense for anything or anybody. It's cast in concrete. He's had modest success at times and abject failure, but he's never, ever changed...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

The answer is that Shula wouldn't change his offense for anything or anybody. It's cast in concrete. He's had modest success at times and abject failure, but he's never, ever changed...
I don't think he knew how to. He was just, "not good".

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

Exactly..And his blind loyalty to his coaching staff was his undoing..He needed to bring in better coaches to help him field a better team, especially Connelly our O-Line Coach needed to be canned, and hire a better coaches would've helped some, but, Shula was doomed from the beginning at Bama & had no chance of making it as our HC..Any changes he would've made, wouldn't have helped, it would be like opening all the windows in your house, before a tornado hits, hoping it would save your house from sure destruction, it wouldn't help in the least bit & only would've prolonged the inevitable..I'm actually glad Shula didn't make any changes & was stubborn to the bitter end, cause it would've added another year of misery & we might have never been able to hire Coach Saban had shula stayed that extra year..Makes me cringe even thinking about that scenario..

The only coach I actually liked on Shula's staff, was the DC with the really thick 'stash(I can't think of his name at the moment) cause he was a really really good DC & was the DC at North Carolina one time I do believe..He was the coach that stayed behind hoping he was going to be hired after Shula was fired

Last edited:

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina

Exactly..And his blind loyalty to his coaching staff was his undoing..He needed to bring in better coaches to help him field a better team, especially Connelly our O-Line Coach needed to be canned, and hire a better coaches would've helped some, but, Shula was doomed from the beginning at Bama & had no chance of making it as our HC..Any changes he would've made, wouldn't have helped, it would be like opening all the windows in your house, before a tornado hits, hoping it would save your house from sure destruction, it wouldn't help in the least bit & only would've prolonged the inevitable..I'm actually glad Shula didn't make any changes & was stubborn to the bitter end, cause it would've added another year of misery & we might have never been able to hire Coach Saban had shula stayed that extra year..Makes me cringe even thinking about that scenario..

The only coach I actually liked on Shula's staff, was the DC with the really thick 'stash(I can't think of his name at the moment) cause he was a really really good DC & was the DC at North Carolina one time I do believe..He was the coach that stayed behind hoping he was going to be hired after Shula was fired
That was Carl Torbush who was actually the Head Coach at UNC after taking over when Mack left for texas. Agree he was a very good DC but HC not.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina

Who?

And can you even afford a Vette on CFL pay?

Last edited:

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

That was first my reaction, too. I initially thought it must have been some player that won a National Championship or was a star in the NFL for this to be newsworthy. Then I realized it was just a former couchburner that now plays for the Eskimos, and then I remembered why I didn't remember him! -lol

Maybe Derrick will rush for 2 bills or so against the couchburners in the fall just for good measure.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.