Pat White: "Still Glad I Turned Down A 'vette [From Alabama] To Become A Mountaineer

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: Pat White: "Still Glad I Turned Down A 'vette [From Alabama] To Become A Moun...

Well, it makes for a cheap headline, if "cheap" is what you're after...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Re: Pat White: "Still Glad I Turned Down A 'vette [From Alabama] To Become A Moun...

That was Carl Torbush who was actually the Head Coach at UNC after taking over when Mack left for texas. Agree he was a very good DC but HC not.
Actually, Torbush left with fRAN when he went to Texas A&M (after he found out he would not be getting the BAMA HC job).

Shula's DC was Joe Kines, who never did figure out how to stop that little inside trap, but he was one of my favorite guys to hear an interview from. He had the best stories. Outside of 2003, his defense was the only reason Mike Shula enjoyed any amount of success at Alabama.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

Yup..That's his name & thanks for posting what his name was..Cause it was bugging the heck out of me trying to remember his name..I agree 100% brother, Torbush was one of those coaches, that an awesome coordinator, but, I don't think he'd make as great of a HC, as he was in a DC role on a football team..He was the best coach we had on Shula's team & wouldn't mind if he ever came back in a coordinator's role at Bama once again..Cause he fielded as good of a defense at Bama, as we've had I thought & he did it with inferior talent, as compared to what's at Bama right now..I'd love to see what he could do with the talent we have at Bama right now..I honestly think he's on the same level as Coach Saban as far as DC's goes..I may get flamed for that, but, he did field the top D in the country at N Carolina & at Bama(I think it was the top D at the end of the season)..I loved the aggressiveness his D's constantly put on offenses, and his blitz packages, are as impressive as any DC's in the history of the gameJMHO
That was Carl Torbush who was actually the Head Coach at UNC after taking over when Mack left for texas. Agree he was a very good DC but HC not.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

i turned down a beamer to go to a school with no football team in Marietta Georgia. Now let's just forget the fact that I did not play football or any sport at all.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina

Actually, Torbush left with fRAN when he went to Texas A&M (after he found out he would not be getting the BAMA HC job).

Shula's DC was Joe Kines, who never did figure out how to stop that little inside trap, but he was one of my favorite guys to hear an interview from. He had the best stories. Outside of 2003, his defense was the only reason Mike Shula enjoyed any amount of success at Alabama.
You are right. When reading TideMan09's thread I was thinking was that Torbush 'cause of the mustache, or Kines because he stayed behind? Dadgum I have made my first mistake since joining this board :smile: Either way I think everything we all said about either one was right!

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

I'll play along, Pat. Just what did WV give you to pass up a Vette and the greatest program in football?
My question to him could result in a lawsuit: "Pat White, what coach or other person offered you a corvette to play at Alabama?" Lay your cards on the table since you started this! Then, let's take a polygraph to see where the TRUTH is located.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

Yup..Y'all are right..I dunno why I was thinking Torbush was here with Shula, Coach Kines was Shula's DC, and actually was a descent DC that go around as our DC at Bama..
You are right. When reading TideMan09's thread I was thinking was that Torbush 'cause of the mustache, or Kines because he stayed behind? Dadgum I have made my first mistake since joining this board :smile: Either way I think everything we all said about either one was right!

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina

Well, it makes for a cheap headline, if "cheap" is what you're after...
In this case, the funny thing to me, is that since Coach Saban "remotely" addressed the situation (and used 3 particular words) it's going to become a social media boom. This is the world we live in now...some nobody with a microphone and camera asks a question clearly intended to catch Coach off guard and away it goes. I say funny because I think Nick got him with the reply on the video, but if the media runs with the quote only, then it has a totally different face.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I'm no genius but isn't the statute of limitations on NCAA violations FOUR YEARS (unless your name is Penn State)?

And even assuming everything is true - so what? Nothing is going to come of it and the cheap headline writer should know this.

But I'm guessing Pat needs a big audience.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

In this case, the funny thing to me, is that since Coach Saban "remotely" addressed the situation (and used 3 particular words) it's going to become a social media boom. This is the world we live in now...some nobody with a microphone and camera asks a question clearly intended to catch Coach off guard and away it goes. I say funny because I think Nick got him with the reply on the video, but if the media runs with the quote only, then it has a totally different face.
I had to listen twice to make sure Coach said what he said. He sure said it in a low tone of voice. He's Da Man!

I wish that he had said that, "I wasn't here at that time, but knowing the people who were, I just don't think that would happen at this great University!"

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada

Are we sure it wasn't a Chevette?
Good one, Con!

Mind you, I drove one for many years.

And it was good enough for the gurls I went out with... :biggrin2:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

At least it wasn't a Vega or a Pinto. You would not have been going out with any girls, if you had.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

HAHA..I was watching one of those shows where they buy old rust buckets & flips them for cash after restoring them..And Pinto's are actually considered collector items now..Those burn hazard of a car can be turned into a nice payday if you have the abilities & nohow to restore them..Pinto's were before my time & I've never actually seen one in person, but, I actually think they're pretty cool looking cars & I like the shape of those eyesore's..LOL
At least it wasn't a Vega or a Pinto. You would not have been going out with any girls, if you had.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
Re: Pat White: "Still Glad I Turned Down A 'vette [From Alabama] To Become A Mountain

Yeah, People can trust what White says. I mean he didn't just say something like that to get some Media attention. After all he is playing with the Edmunton Oilers not wanting to gain attention to his career.;)

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada

My folks bought a Pinto cuz, after we'd moved from Montreal to Toronto, they needed a second car.

It was baby blue, had an 8-Track, and the 2 tapes I had were Johnny Winter [I got a girl named Boney Moroney. She's as skinny as a stick o' macaroni] and CCR [I used to think the words were "There's a bathroom on the right"...]

Now that you mention it, I don't think I had too many dates when the ol' Pinto was my ride... :D

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Re: Pat White: "Still Glad I Turned Down A 'vette [From Alabama] To Become A Mountain

Right, and when I was a Junior in High School Bama offered me a Maserati and some oceanfront property in Utah but I'm glad I dropped out and joined the Navy instead.

His assertion deserves an LEL (Laughing even louder)

Roll Tide!

It must be true. I read in on twitter.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

It was baby blue, had an 8-Track,
I owned a Pinto with my brother. It was white with a blue racing stripe, making it a chick magnet. It was hit by a drunk driver early one Sunday morning somewhere behind the Booth. Sic transit gloria.

My brother used to drive it down to a gas station on MacFarland almost to the interstate, but he would only put $2-3 in the tank. He said he didn't want to have a full gas tank when that car finally gave up the ghost.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

SIAP
CNS was just asked about this in an interview and had an "under-his-breath" moment that, for me, would have been an in-your-face blast...

I'm not linking anything because of what was said...

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

I had some friends when I lived in GA that were huge WVU fans, so we'd watch the WVU games with them and they'd watch the Bama games too. This was during the Pat White/Steve Slaton days when WVU was as electric an offense as there was in football. Nebraska used to be my #2 team behind Bama (I always like to have a secondary team to root for) but once Callahan took over and changed them from smash mouth to finesse I moved to WVU.

That said, White's comments are hilarious to people that know White wasn't a 5 star stud. Don't forget that WVU wasn't anywhere near a top 10 program before he got there, so it wasn't as if he spurned Bama and Auburn to go to WVU. So it makes zero sense that someone would have offered him a car. Why offer a guy that's a 3* without a scholarship offer a car?

If Pat White was offered a car then Julio Jones must have been given a Hover-carrier.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.