Revisiting UA vs. OU in '13 SB

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
The loss to OU and the Barn revealed we were not championship material. It DID NOT reveal that the process is broken and that we are suddenly going to be average again.

My original point was I don't think we played as badly against OU as I orginally thought after watching the game again. OU just played better than most of us are willing to give credit for.
We helped them with mistakes but they took full advantage of them and made us pay...which is usually the formula for our victories against other teams.

I'd compare what OU did to us to what we did to Florida in 2005 (?) when we took it to them in BDS. Later SI claimed "Bama is Back" but it was just a game that Bama did everything right adn Florida didn't. That didn't mean much in the long run because Florida was not broken and we weren't really back.

IMO, OU just played above their heads and played the perfect game. When that happens your team can beat an even better team, especially if they make some key mistakes. That's the story of the 2013 Suger Bowl IMO.
Great clarification recovery, BamaMoon! :)

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
The loss to OU and the Barn revealed we were not championship material. It DID NOT reveal that the process is broken and that we are suddenly going to be average again.

My original point was I don't think we played as badly against OU as I orginally thought after watching the game again. OU just played better than most of us are willing to give credit for.
We helped them with mistakes but they took full advantage of them and made us pay...which is usually the formula for our victories against other teams.

I'd compare what OU did to us to what we did to Florida in 2005 (?) when we took it to them in BDS. Later SI claimed "Bama is Back" but it was just a game that Bama did everything right adn Florida didn't. That didn't mean much in the long run because Florida was not broken and we weren't really back.

IMO, OU just played above their heads and played the perfect game. When that happens your team can beat an even better team, especially if they make some key mistakes. That's the story of the 2013 Suger Bowl IMO.
That about sums it up. Also 9 wins, seriously??? That would not only take Coker not panning out but having as many key injuries like UF and UGA did last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Kig

May 1, 2014
This game came up on Sirius a couple of days ago. Don't remember the guys name, but it was whoever follows Mark Packer and Eddie George... the topic came up after the initial bowl projections came out and a rematch game was one of the "Final 4".

He basically summed up exactly how I felt about this game. He compared it to the Utah game from a few years ago and said BAMA plays for all the chips and went on to challenge anyone to actually tell him that Utah or Zero U were better teams than BAMA. The emotional letdown of not playing for it all, especially in a year where you EXPECT to be doing so, takes a bit of the edge off.

Not saying that Zero U didn't out play us that day... they did. But at the end of the day, if that game had been for all the marbles, I believe the outcome would have been different.

Dissect it any way you like, but a half a step here or a loss of focus there and a fairly well balanced match-up gets out of hand quickly.

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
In reference to football, isnt "amen corner" a barn term for playing UGA and BAMA at years end? :eek2:

Not sure how that applies to BAMA :conf3:
Yes, in true aub fashion, Dye copied that term from The Master's, in reference to games vs Florida, UGA and Bama.

And you have the most disturbing avatar on this site

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
In the Stoops time, Coach Saban imo had a worse performance vs OU than either fran or Coach Shula :eek2:

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I understand what you are saying, but keep in mind that OU was dealing with massive injuries and a new qb. To me, that negates any advantage they may have had due to our relatively small amount of injuries and AJs woes in the game.

Don't mean to sound all gloom and doom, I still think we will have a very good season in 2014--I'm predicting 9 wins.I just think we were exposed a little bit in the last two games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You think 9 wins constitutes a "very good season" at Alabama? :confused:

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
i somewhat agree. we just werent very good defending the pass at all. And when OK went fast, we were having a tough time even getting in the right defense. actually, several times during the season the ball would be snapped before some of our down lineman were even in their stance. add that to the fact that our guys thought we could just step on the field and dominate that Sugar Bowl equals a loss.
This is where you have to let your "coaches on the field" run the defense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.