Revisiting UA vs. OU in '13 SB

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Just watched the game on YouTube. First time I've watched it since the night of the game.

Honestly, we didn't play nearly as bad as I thought. It was nothing like what happend in '08 when we don't show up against Utah.

Instead, OU survived our fast start and really the story of the game was how great their offense played. We didn't have many busted coverages. Instead their qb, Trevor Knight, had the game of his life. Sound familiar???

You may hate Gary Danielson, but he's right when he says it takes a "hot qb" to beat Bama. That's exactly what OU got that night.

Sure, AJ had two untimely picks. One was early in the first quarter when we led 7-0 and probably could've marched right down and scored again to grab an even bigger lead, but instead he, uncharacteristically, threw into triple coverage. The other INT was just a great play the DB made when AC failed to come back on a route. Yeah, the fumble that TJY had later when we were about to score hurt too, but outside of those 3 turnovers, we didn't play a bad game on offense. Those three turnovers might have been the difference in the game (points wise) but OU still just outplayed us and really took advantage of a few mistakes.

And contrary to what I remember, our defensesive backfield played pretty good but we just ran into a buzzsaw that night which was very highly motivated after hearing how Bama would wipe the floor with them.

If you haven't watched the game recently, I'd encourage you to do so and I think you'll see that Bama was ready to play, but we just caught a team on the wrong day that was just better that game.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Thing is, you have to add those turnovers and it equals up to an overall bad game. It's like the A&M game in 2012. You take away those turnovers we blow A&M off the field, but we lost.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...
No doubt, but my point is OU still had to march down the field after 2 of the 3 turnovers. We made mistakes, which in someways every team will make every game, but OU was ready, motivated and willing to take advantage of them. Can't remember if they got points off of all three turnovers, but even if they did, they still outplayed us in a game when we didn't play as bad as I thought.

No doubt, but my point is OU still had to march down the field after 2 of the 3 turnovers. We made mistakes, which in someways every team will make every game, but OU was ready, motivated and willing to take advantage of them. Can't remember if they got points off of all three turnovers, but even if they did, they still outplayed us in a game when we didn't play as bad as I thought.
I don't think we were motivated at all and yes they scored off all turnovers that were made. Take those points off the board we win going away because they didn't really have an answer for us despite all the sacks.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I don't think we were motivated at all and yes they scored off all turnovers that were made. Take those points off the board we win going away because they didn't really have an answer for us despite all the sacks.

Sent from my iPhone

We'll have to agree to disagree about the "motivation" aspect of it. But when I saw Dee Hart make a great tackle right after we scored to go up 7-0 on the kickoff to OU he was motivated.

We also had OU stopped several times on 3rd downs and the qb and receivers just make great throws and catches with Bama defensive backs hanging all over them.

Some times a better team (overall) plays a team that is better that day. After rewatching that's what I think happened. JMO.

We'll have to agree to disagree about the "motivation" aspect of it. But when I saw Dee Hart make a great tackle right after we scored to go up 7-0 on the kickoff to OU he was motivated.

We also had OU stopped several times on 3rd downs and the qb and receivers just make great throws and catches with Bama defensive back hanging all over them.

Some times a better team (overall) plays a team that is better that day. After rewatching that's what I think happened. JMO.
That is true when it comes to the DBs, I just saw a team that wasn't focused. Why would you throw into double coverage? I just don't get it. Still though, we coulda and shoulda won.

Sent from my iPhone

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
That is true when it comes to the DBs, I just saw a team that wasn't focused. Why would you throw into double coverage? I just don't get it. Still though, we coulda and shoulda won.

Sent from my iPhone

IIRC, AJ was going to Norwood who was double covered but had a step on the coverage. But AJ failed to see the safety coming over the top who intercepted it.

It was really the only bad throw I remember him making.

The OL was inconsistent and forced him to throw several away, but that was the same song, second verse for the whole season.

IIRC, AJ was going to Norwood who was double covered but had a step on the coverage. But AJ failed to see the safety coming over the top who intercepted it.

It was really the only bad throw I remember him making.

The OL was inconsistent and forced him to throw several away, but that was the same song, second verse for the whole season.
Yeah, the OL was erratic. It's like they forgot how to play or something. The last time I saw something like that was when Barnie had all those sacks against us.

Sent from my iPhone

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
We stunk and made them look five times better than they were. We turned an average OU QB into the second coming of Montana..
We showed up about as fired up as a wrongly convicted murderer arriving for his execution.
This is one game I'd just as soon forget.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
We stunk and made them look five times better than they were. We turned an average OU QB into the second coming of Montana..
We showed up about as fired up as a wrongly convicted murderer arriving for his execution.
This is one game I'd just as soon forget.
Sip, I thought that too until I watched it again. Did we help them sure, especially with the turnovers, but they played a great game on offense and we didn't just hand them all those points by defensive breakdowns.

Frankly, your statement about making them look five times better than what they were is out of touch IMO and despite popular opinion I think we came ready to play, at least to begin with.

I think y'all folks that go back and watch losses are masochists.
Yeah, maybe, but I only can stomach certain losses and I really watched it to see DH in action and while doing so I couldn't help but see we didn't play as badly as I thought and they just played a great game.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Moon, my man, you have to consider that their QB looked better against us than he did against anybody, all season long.
They weren't even sure who they should play at QB against us, going in.
We made Stoops look like a genius, for his decision.
We were very weak last season at the pass rush. Combine that with the weakest corners in the Nick Saban era, and it spelled problems.
They took us to the drawing board of A-B-C-. That spells "simple".
They can't cover us nor rush us...throw it deep...
It worked.
sip

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Moon, my man, you have to consider that their QB looked better against us than he did against anybody, all season long.
They weren't even sure who they should play at QB against us, going in.
We made Stoops look like a genius, for his decision.
We were very weak last season at the pass rush. Combine that with the weakest corners in the Nick Saban era, and it spelled problems.
They took us to the drawing board of A-B-C-. That spells "simple".
They can't cover us nor rush us...throw it deep...
It worked.
sip
Stoops made the right choice and Knight put on a show. It typically takes a hot qb to beat a Bama team, even when we are weaker in the defensive backfield.

The only difference I took from re-watching the game is that I don't think we played as badly as I originally thought and they played better than I thought, especially on offense.

It's all good bro!

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Wow here we go again. How long before we go revisit 2000 Alabama vs. Southern Miss??? Seriously....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Wow here we go again. How long before we go revisit 2000 Alabama vs. Southern Miss??? Seriously....

I was at that game and I still think it was the worst I ever saw a Bama team get whipped from start to finish.
We didn't even dream about scoring that night. Worst of all, I went to the game with a good friend who happened to be a USM fan.

WalkaboutSean

1st Team
Nov 23, 2010

lol - I was at that game.

While we're at it, shall we revisit 1984 Alabama vs. Vanderbilt? (I was at that game too)

Nah - it's too early in the day to start drinking...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.