At 4:00 am this morning my wife understood why we own (loaded) guns.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
We've been married 13 years and my wife has never liked the fact that we have guns in the house. Her family doesn't have them and don't believe in them. They believe in calling the police.

Well, at 4:00 am this morning my dog starts pacing back and forth and begins whimpering over and over and over. She's a greyhound so they're not great guard dogs, meaning they rarely bark. I just thought she wanted to be fed early (that happens from time to time) so I told her to hush and dozed back off. For the next ten minutes she continues to do it. As I'm about to tell her to hush once again I hear a five/six consecutive extremely loud and hard bangs on my front door. My wife and I immediately jump up. She begins freakin' out and I'm pulling out my .45 Springfield Armory 1911 and easing up the hallway. The guy bangs on the door a few more times and then I hear the door knob start turning. I cocked my pistol because I'm figuring his next move (once he figures out it's locked) is to start trying to knock in the door. So with my pistol loaded, cocked and aimed at the front door he tries a few more times to turn the door knob and then it goes silent. I see a shadow take off past our front window and off the porch into the night.

My wife was petrified and said "If he would have busted in calling the cops would have done no good would it?" I told her "No baby, it wouldn't. That's why we own guns and keep them loaded." She sat there about as terrified as I seen her in a LOOONG time and she started talking about her being at home in the summer with the kids while I'm at work. She now wants me to buy her a .38 and teach her to shoot it. I'm glad I didn't have to use my pistol and possibly kill somebody. But if the situation had gone further calling the cops would have been meaningless.

Last edited:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Man I am glad y'all are OK and the idiot decided to run instead of die. Taking the life of another is a situation no one should be forced to be in, and the aftermath is never good; however, in cases like this, you have no choice.
I hope you guys did call the police and report it, though. May not do any good, but it can't hurt and might even help them catch him.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Glad yall are ok. Since he was out there for 10 minutes scoping things out, I wonder what made him bang on the door?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
We've been married 13 years and my wife has never liked the fact that we have guns in the house. Her family doesn't have them and don't believe in them. They believe in calling the police.

Well, at 4:00 am this morning my dog starts pacing back and forth and begins whimpering over and over and over. She's a greyhound so they're not great guard dogs, meaning they rarely bark. I just thought she wanted to be fed early (that happens from time to time) so I told her to hush and dozed back off. For the next ten minutes she continues to do it. As I'm about to tell her to hush once again I hear a five/six consecutive extremely loud and hard bangs on my front door. My wife and I immediately jump up. She begins freakin' out and I'm pulling out my .45 Springfield Armory 1911 and easing up the hallway. The guy bangs on the door a few more times and then I hear the door knob start turning. I cocked my pistol because I'm figuring his next move (once he figures out it's locked) is to start trying to knock in the door. So with my pistol loaded, cocked and aimed at the front door he tries a few more times to turn the door knob and then it goes silent. I see a shadow take off past our front window and off the porch into the night.

My wife was petrified and said "If he would have busted in calling the cops would have done no good would it?" I told her "No baby, it wouldn't. That's why we own guns and keep them loaded." She sat there about as terrified as I seen her in a LOOONG time and she started talking about her being at home in the summer with the kids while I'm at work. She now wants me to buy her a .38 and teach her to shoot it. I'm glad I didn't have to use my pistol and possibly kill somebody. But if the situation had gone further calling the cops would have been meaningless.
thats terrifying, glad nothing worse happened. i hope y'all are ok today. i answered the door once with my loaded shotgun when someone knocked at about 2 am. they kept yelling about looking for a missing dog, and i just told them to get off the porch and that i was going to call the cops, while making sure the barrel of the gun was visible through the door's window. its not the type of thing you can forget easily

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
We didn't call the cops. Probably should have but to be honest my adrenaline was pumping so much I never even thought about it.

What didn't make since to me was the guy knocking on the door. But there's no doubt he was on my property a good ten minutes before knocking. My dog was pacing for at least that long trying to let me know someone was at the house. The first thing that comes to mind was someone knocking on the door and as soon as someone answers they kick bull rush in and attack. There was a rash of those type crimes in our area a few years ago. Two guys in a white van pulled up to a ladies house during the day, knocked on the door, as she was opening the door they shoved their way in, raped her and left.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Glad everyone there is OK, Buzz. I'm also glad the Mrs. realized that when seconds count, the police are minutes away.

"Loaded Firearms: Better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them."

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Maybe it was someone you know. Why would someone trying to break in 1) Come through the front door instead of a window or back door 2) Make a lot of noise and a scene by banging on the front door. Kinda weird for someone trying to break in to do that.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Buzz I'm so glad you and your wife are safe. Nobody wants to be forced to take a life but a man must protect his family. I respect your courage as well as your restraint.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Glad y'all are all right.

...take her to a gun shop and pick one out that she's really comfortable with. It will make it that much easier for her to practice with and become proficient in firing.
Agree with that. If she likes one , I'd suggest a .357 Magnum. That will allow her to practice with .38 Special rounds. And it gives the option to use a more powerful round.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I'm not saying it was aliens, but it was aliens! ;) Glad you were prepared! I would be wary of a return visit. Maybe you need to get you a Jack Russel terrier. They will wake up the neighborhood barking!! ;)

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Good job protecting your family. I've never been in that situation but I hope I would be as calm and smart as you were.

That kind of crap gives me the creeps, even thinking about being in that situation.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Maybe it was someone you know. Why would someone trying to break in 1) Come through the front door instead of a window or back door 2) Make a lot of noise and a scene by banging on the front door. Kinda weird for someone trying to break in to do that.
It wasn't a neighbor I've already talked to them. I have no idea if it was a stupid kid out on a Friday night drunk or what. But when someone bangs on my door at 4:00 am I only have one assumption. They're up to no good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Actually, it makes a lot of sense. If he hears a dog bark, he's gone. If he can get you to open the door, no muss, no fuss, no blood, no DNA. Criminal has a higher probability (unless homeowner is armed) of not getting caught IMO.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
had a weird similar story years ago while visiting my mom. 3am or so a man was beating on my mom's door, I grabbed my dad's 38 climbed out on the roof of the porch thru a window, had my brother-in-law hold my legs while I leaned over pointed the gun at him and whistled to get his attention. as soon as he saw the gun he stumbled backwards and pleaded "don't shoot". He then said my dog was in his yard barking at his horses. I called for my dog and she came back. She growled but I told her hush and sit. We both glared at the guy until he left.

Glad you guys are OK Buzzard.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.