At 4:00 am this morning my wife understood why we own (loaded) guns.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Why? Got kids in reach of them?
3 year old in the house and i'm beginning to realize that there aren't many places that are going to be out of her reach :). i have a pistol that stays in a small safe, but a couple of shotguns that i keep up and out of the way and at some point soon, i have two more shotguns my dad left me that i will have in the house.

ideally, i would get a gun safe, but i don't have anywhere to put it.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
92, I would suggest getting a biometric spring loaded gun box. You can open it with a touch and it springs open making for faster access.
That's interesting. I didn't know they made them. I was about to reply to '92 that having to fumble around to unlock a device in the middle of the night killed the utility of even having a gun in the first place...

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
When I was 11 or 12 me and a couple of cousins snuck out of the house at 1 or 2 in the morning. As we were walking a couple of high school/college age guys decided that we must have been out planning on messing with their car (after we waved at them, said hello, and walked on by). They proceeded to chase us around the neighborhood in their car. As our last desperate attempt to get away we ran up into someone's carport and started banging on the door.

I'm sure we scared the mess out of him but thankfully the guy came out after 5 minutes or so about the time one of the guys had my cousin a foot off the ground by his throat. Even with that experience of my own I still would do about the same thing with my guns as you did.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Well my wife got a first hand example of why having a gun loaded is much better than having a gun that is unloaded. Because if by chance that dude would have busted in the door and came on in I would have been extremely hard pressed to get my pistol, get the ammo then begin to load. Reason why I have it loaded and an extra round strapped to the top for easy access and reloading.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I agree 100%. Otoh, having a loaded weapon in reach of a toddler is a nightmare waiting to happen.
Correct. Toddlers and even young children regard a gun as an interesting toy. Actually, that interest goes all the way up to teens. Back several years ago, our two grandsons (about 14 and 9 at the time) from FL were up for a visit. I have a German Diana pellet gun which, scope and all, looks exactly like a high-powered rifle, unless you look at the muzzle. Normally, I put it up, but I'd left it out to deal with a varmint. Although it couldn't kill a human, it's capable of doing some real damage, shooting around 1200 fps or so (.177). They were fascinated by it and just couldn't leave it alone. I finally had to hide it away.

I guess I should title this paragraph something like a sequel to the punting the armadillo. Apparently they didn't take to it very favorably. A couple of nights ago, they returned in force and dug up the entire back yard. I've ordered and received some "armor-piercing," high-velocity pellets. They're evil-looking little things. Now just let them show their ugly faces where I can get a clean shot...

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Good news on ammo - went to the range yesterday and Gander Mountain has tons of 5.56, as well as gobs of pistol ammo.
Their pistol prices are high, though. Would suggest a gun show if you're shopping for pistols.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
92, I would suggest getting a biometric spring loaded gun box. You can open it with a touch and it springs open making for faster access.
i have actually looked into that for my pistol and will probably go that route at some point. its storing the shotguns securely that is stumping me.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
I guess I should title this paragraph something like a sequel to the punting the armadillo. Apparently they didn't take to it very favorably. A couple of nights ago, they returned in force and dug up the entire back yard. I've ordered and received some "armor-piercing," high-velocity pellets. They're evil-looking little things. Now just let them show their ugly faces where I can get a clean shot...
So, they fixed your position with their reconnaissance element and now they've brought up their main body? Watch the flanks.

;)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
That's interesting. I didn't know they made them. I was about to reply to '92 that having to fumble around to unlock a device in the middle of the night killed the utility of even having a gun in the first place...
i don't keep them for protection per se, i just have them and need to keep them safe. i don't keep them loaded (but ammo is close by).

honestly, if i get a break in, i have to run downstairs and go thru my kitchen (several large knives) and i keep a 2ft pipe stashed by the front door. so unless i keep a gun loaded in my bed stand (which I'm not going to do) i'm not going to grab one.

i've seen the biometric safes mentioned above and may look into that, they make them that mount on the underside of a bed.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
i don't keep them for protection per se, i just have them and need to keep them safe. i don't keep them loaded (but ammo is close by).

honestly, if i get a break in, i have to run downstairs and go thru my kitchen (several large knives) and i keep a 2ft pipe stashed by the front door. so unless i keep a gun loaded in my bed stand (which I'm not going to do) i'm not going to grab one.

i've seen the biometric safes mentioned above and may look into that, they make them that mount on the underside of a bed.
We have no youngsters in our home now, so that's not a problem. My weapons are loaded and ready to access by someone who knows where they are, yet are in less than obvious locations throughout the house and property.
You never can tell what time of day or night terror will strike, or where you might be when it happens, so I prefer to access my weapons with the least amount of time, thought and effort as possible.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I'd take the wife to the gun shop and let her see what she might like. Let her hold a few and see what feels comfortable to her because if you get one that is NOT comfy it will only hurt both of you when the time comes.

I'm glad you didn't have to pull the trigger as well. As gun owners we all know that is a possibility, but when it comes to that we have no choice. I will protect mine before I let you come in and take mine. I as well have pulled mine once, he heard me running down the stairs when I chambered my Sig .45 he heard it and promptly took off. I don't want to take a life but was ready to protect us though if it came to that.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

My 9 mm S&W automatic is locked away in a home safe, because of the same aforementioned grandsons. I just never got it back out. OTOH, I do have a double barreled derringer, loaded with .22 mag LR hollowpoints in my bedside table. I'd hate to have to rely on it over 10' or so...

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
I check the perimeter every night (windows and doors) and tend to be a light sleeper. We sleep with a Glock G21 (.45) hot on the night stand and a Remington 1100 TAC 2 (12 ga slugs) within arm's reach propped in the corner. The little woman carries a Glock G36 (.45) hot with her daily.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I check the perimeter every night (windows and doors) and tend to be a light sleeper. We sleep with a Glock G21 (.45) hot on the night stand and a Remington 1100 TAC 2 (12 ga slugs) within arm's reach propped in the corner. The little woman carries a Glock G36 (.45) hot with her daily.
A former neighbor of mine used to get up and walk "guard duty" around his property at night. The weapon he carried the most was a Chi-Com SKS that he had managed to bring back from Vietnam. (It's never been registered in the US.) He sold to me before he moved away and I still have it. I've since changed the original wood stock to a composite adjustable stock and added a 4x30 competition scope.
It's not my primary defense weapon of course, but if I really want to "reach out and touch" someone, that's the first one I'm picking up.

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
A former neighbor of mine used to get up and walk "guard duty" around his property at night. The weapon he carried the most was a Chi-Com SKS that he had managed to bring back from Vietnam. (It's never been registered in the US.) He sold to me before he moved away and I still have it. I've since changed the original wood stock to a composite adjustable stock and added a 4x30 competition scope.
It's not my primary defense weapon of course, but if I really want to "reach out and touch" someone, that's the first one I'm picking up.
Exactly.

The phrase "I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it" comes to mind.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.