Auburn Now Claims They Won The 1983 National Championship (And Two Others)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
IMO this is analogous to a proud parent. I get it and have no problem with it. It has nothing to do with me or my school, and it does not detract from what Alabama has done.

This is dumb, very dumb. Everyone know they've won two championships. They've even said and now they are going dig up the past to find more?

Was there an agreement in place that said that the school would only count championships after like 1950 or something?

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
So are they claiming '83 because Bear passed away that year?

I mean seriously now...of all the years they could have picked like 2004 for example.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Congrats, Aub. I'm sure I've got an old bowling trophy I can send over right away to commemorate this great championships.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I've read that the NCAA itself recognizes 20+ NC's Bama has won & yet we claim less than what the NCAA oficially recognizes..If The Barn wants to play games we could too if push comes to shove..Is it true the NCAA recognizes more NC's for Bama than Bama recognizes for itself???..

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
...we've ALWAYS claimed our titles. I'm not conceding that some of ours aren't justified or anything, but some are certainly up for public debate. However, we claimed them at the time, and we've always claimed them ever since. There are years that the NCAA recognizes that we named champs by some services that we don't claim.

But to 1)retroactively claim titles is ridiculous for anyone and everyone...
Actually, 1941 was apparently a 1980s addition: http://blog.al.com/solomon/2010/01/got_12.html

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Actually this is not that far fetched. Due to what happened in the orange bowl that night, auburn actually has a case, and had they blown out michigan like they should have in the sugar then even I would have begrudgingly given it to them..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I give Alabama historians credit for consistency - they refuse to claim the 1966 championship even though they feel that they deserved it simply because none of the groups that awarded championships at the time recognized Alabama as champions, nor do any current systems. For every other season in which Alabama accepts the claim of a national championship a major service selected Alabama as champion, either at the time or retroactively (Note - before 1936, they did not "crown" national champions or have national polls - those championships have all been awarded retroactively).

All that said, 1941 was a poll era season and none of the polls selected Alabama as national champions. Yes, the Houlgate formula said that Alabama was the best, but that Alabama team lost twice that season, and was shut out in both of those losses. It might not be inconsistent to claim that title, but it is still dubious. At least as dubious as these claims by Auburn, IMO.

Given what happened to Alabama in 1966 (racial politics trumped football that season), I have no problem with the 1941 claim, but claiming 1941 kinda means that you have to let other schools make their own claims and keep quiet about it.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Actually this is not that far fetched. Due to what happened in the orange bowl that night, auburn actually has a case, and had they blown out michigan like they should have in the sugar then even I would have begrudgingly given it to them..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They didn't have to blow Michigan out; they only had to beat them. Which they did.

Miami didn't blow Nebraska out, either. In fact, Auburn beat their two-loss opponent by twice as much as Miami beat Nebraska on the Hurricanes HOME FIELD.

However, there were two acknowledged selectors in 1983 - and Auburn didn't win either one of them.

If they actually won a national title, why have they been whining the last 30 years about getting jobbed?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I give Alabama historians credit for consistency - they refuse to claim the 1966 championship even though they feel that they deserved it simply because none of the groups that awarded championships at the time recognized Alabama as champions, nor do any current systems. For every other season in which Alabama accepts the claim of a national championship a major service selected Alabama as champion, either at the time or retroactively (Note - before 1936, they did not "crown" national champions or have national polls - those championships have all been awarded retroactively).

All that said, 1941 was a poll era season and none of the polls selected Alabama as national champions. Yes, the Houlgate formula said that Alabama was the best, but that Alabama team lost twice that season, and was shut out in both of those losses. It might not be inconsistent to claim that title, but it is still dubious. At least as dubious as these claims by Auburn, IMO.

Given what happened to Alabama in 1966 (racial politics trumped football that season), I have no problem with the 1941 claim, but claiming 1941 kinda means that you have to let other schools make their own claims and keep quiet about it.
In general, I agree with your sentiments.

However - neither the 1941 nor 1966 team spent 30 years crying about an injustice that - if recent actions are to be believed - never actually happened.

It's not that I'm overly concerned here with it BUT.....Auburn just forfeited any imaginary high ground in the NC title debate. Because titles either exist or do not. And their fan base almost down to the last gnat has insisted our pre-1961 titles are NOT legitimate. Kinda hard to swallow that argument now.

Besides - and this is my point - count it ANY WAY anyone wants and it isn't even close.

Hell, let's start with 2010 and count this way:

Auburn - 2010
Alabama - 2011, 2012

I think this was also your point earlier so I won't belabor it.

stew0729

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 22, 2011
Aubarn was on probation in 1993 right? How can you claim a national title when you were on probation?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Aubarn was on probation in 1993 right? How can you claim a national title when you were on probation?
We were on probation in 2009, too, so I wouldn't go there. Furthermore, OU won back-to-back in 74-75, and I know they were on probation at least one of those years.

However - in Auburn's case you have a team that literally nobody saw play. The 1993 claim is a disgusting joke. 1913, well, fine that's even reasonable given our own history.

But 1983? You've got too many people still alive who know what happened.

stew0729

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 22, 2011
Sorry I think I miss stated my above question. Aubarn was not just on probation but banned from the sec championship and a bowl game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.