Lou Holtz Tells Blue and Gold Illustrated He Plans to Retire After the Season

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

And now we may see another change with Lou Holtz telling 24/7′s Notre Dame site that he’ll be retiring from ESPN at the end of the college football season to work on his golf game and spend more time at home.

“I’d like to practice my golf a little more. I’ve been everywhere except to bed. I’ve spoken to everybody except my wife. Somebody said, ‘Do you ever go anywhere where people don’t recognize you?’ I said home. I owe it to her to spend a little more time with her. I said that last year too.”

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Would anybody have noticed if he hadn't announced it? Other than the dry cleaner that has to get the spittle out of Mark May's suit every week?

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
Would anybody have noticed if he hadn't announced it? Other than the dry cleaner that has to get the spittle out of Mark May's suit every week?
Seems to me that Lou's been R.O.A.D. for some years now, at least in terms of making contributions to his field.

Well, that's not fair; he did get multiple schools in NCAA trouble, which is quite a feat. So there's that.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
In a related story, ESPN announces the hiring of Tim Brando to replace Holtz.

(not really, but don't count your chickens.....)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Good quotes there!

He obviously has a speech impediment but he is actually a wonderful public speaker and very entertaining. I heard him speak at a benefit dinner once time and he was very good!

If he could have ever been realistic about Arkansas, ND or SC without showing glaring favortism, he was actually pretty entertaining and insightful.

Depending on who they get to replace him, we may actually one day miss him.

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
Lou is a comedian moonlighting as a Football Coach, and he did a real good job at both imo.

I ran into him, literally, twice in out game at South Bend in 1987. He was a focused, fiery bundle of energy.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
And does this mean ESPN will remove the little windshield wipers from the cameras in the College Game Day studio?

Adios, Lou. Don't let the door hit on the way out.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.