Link: Interesting technical article on LSU's defense against the HUNH teams...

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
The HUNH and option are not one in the same. People confuse the two all the time. AU does both, but Georgia Tech doesn't run the hurry up while TAMU runs HUNH but doesn't run the option.
Agree with your comment, but once the ball is snapped is becomes "option football". Ever watched the Notre Dame box offense Jeff?

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
One can go back and watch any number of games between the likes of Stanford and Oregon or LSU and aTm and one thing is continually clear - when you can whip them up front, collapse the pocket, and consistently pressure/frustrate the QB you will succeed. These HUNH offenses aren't going to be shut down completely, especially in the sense of total yards gained and other stats that irritate the defensive purists. The measure of success is how many points you hold them to. 20-24 is a good number, which is what makes the Auburn game so much more mind-boggling, because we were right in that territory, and obviously had chances to salt it away. Then again, they rushed for nearly 300 yards against us. These offenses are going to get their yards and eye-popping stats - there is no changing that - what we have to do is affect the QB, force mistakes, and just line up and go man on man and eventually MTAQ.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Not true. TAMU doesn't run an option offense. They do run HUNH. The two are not the same, though many teams run both
Its true that HUNH and option offenses are not the same but most of the time the two correlate. Most HUNH teams run some form of the option. It may just be a simple read option with the QB and RB. AU and Oregon certainly have a lot of option sprinkled in with their HUNH. I really like the read option offense and would like to see us incorporate it and use it some.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Its true that HUNH and option offenses are not the same but most of the time the two correlate. Most HUNH teams run some form of the option. It may just be a simple read option with the QB and RB. AU and Oregon certainly have a lot of option sprinkled in with their HUNH. I really like the read option offense and would like to see us incorporate it and use it some.
Hmmmm

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
nope - this is the worst thing you could do. The HUNH works because once the O gets to the line they have the option of snapping fast or waiting, when they wait they are actually waiting on the o-coordinator to get the defensive alignment sent down from the booth since they can see everything, then instead of the QB making an audible like would happen in a normal offense, the coaches make the change and signal it from the sideline. IF the D lines up too early the o-coordinator just has a better chance to change the call... That's the part of the HUNH I hate the most since it take the game out of the QB's hands and eliminates a lot of the on field chess match between the QB and the MLB.
If the offense quick snaps then the defense is lined up and ready with a play called.

If the offense then initiates the process of receiving the play call from the sideline then the defense adjusts their play call (no substitutions though) as well.

I would say the defense being out of position trying to get substitutions in and out and trying to get lined up as the ball is snapped would be the worst case scenario.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.