QB Travis Waller Commits to Oregon

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Re: QB Travis Waller Updates (Alabama Offers)

Why do running QBs keep coming to Bama. CNS prefers pocket passers. Has he ever played a QB that can legitimately run anywhere he has coached?

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn

It appears we are missing on all the qb's we have offered to this point. I realize the train of thought is to sign a qb in every class but in this class it is not an absolute necessity. I would rather see us miss on some this year then to offer a guy just to fill a position only to see him sign and then transfer in a year or two because he can not cut it.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

It appears we are missing on all the qb's we have offered to this point. I realize the train of thought is to sign a qb in every class but in this class it is not an absolute necessity. I would rather see us miss on some this year then to offer a guy just to fill a position only to see him sign and then transfer in a year or two because he can not cut it.
I feel the same way. Seems like that is what happened with Ely, Mcleod, Alec Morris etc. Just seems like a lot of time wasted by our staff on someone they know will never start at Bama and are there just as an injury insurance policy.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

It's got to help that we've got David Cornwell in the fold as a young stud.

Noone ever knows how a young qb will work out, but all signs point to him having a full recovery from his injury and there is no doubt he's very bright and has great leadership ability.

Right now, he's got five years to play four.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

I think Bateman or Cornwell is our long term future. Bateman looked much improved from last spring to this year and Cornwell was highly regarded out of high school. Considering we are getting serious looks from a lot of studs at other positions, I agree we shouldn't take a QB just to take one. Not taking one may help with '16 as it shows we have a need to sign a guy, so it may be easier to get a top talent.

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012

First, let me say I am shocked you guys missed out on Dormady. It seems the only prospects that bring you guys back to real life are QB's, as you always have your pick of DT, LB, OL and RB.

Second, I really don't understand how Saban is a player here. Waller just doesn't seem to fit the mold for your offense. I haven't been checking your boards recently so idk if you anticipate a new offensive philosophy with Kiffin, but Waller, to me, just doesn't seem like the future for you. Yes, I am influenced by the fact that we lost Barnett and Waller is hopefully our next best thing. Nonetheless, he fits Kelly's style, while I always thought CNS wanted pro-styles guys.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

First, let me say I am shocked you guys missed out on Dormady. It seems the only prospects that bring you guys back to real life are QB's, as you always have your pick of DT, LB, OL and RB.

Second, I really don't understand how Saban is a player here. Waller just doesn't seem to fit the mold for your offense. I haven't been checking your boards recently so idk if you anticipate a new offensive philosophy with Kiffin, but Waller, to me, just doesn't seem like the future for you. Yes, I am influenced by the fact that we lost Barnett and Waller is hopefully our next best thing. Nonetheless, he fits Kelly's style, while I always thought CNS wanted pro-styles guys.
That's pretty much what I was saying earlier in this thread. I don't really get why we recruit dual threat QBs or why they come to Bama. Don't get me wrong I would love to have a dual threat QB come here and play but the ones that come here never see the field because we run pro-style offense which a pocket passer is the best fit for. Seems like a waste of time to recruit these dual threat guys and have them come to campus sit for two years and transfer.

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012

That's pretty much what I was saying earlier in this thread. I don't really get why we recruit dual threat QBs or why they come to Bama. Don't get me wrong I would love to have a dual threat QB come here and play but the ones that come here never see the field because we run pro-style offense which a pocket passer is the best fit for. Seems like a waste of time to recruit these dual threat guys and have them come to campus sit for two years and transfer.
Do you see him having any other fit in your offense? I.E. Do you think Saban is recruiting him for another position?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Do you see him having any other fit in your offense? I.E. Do you think Saban is recruiting him for another position?
All signs point to Waller playing QB at Alabama. Mentioned earlier, Waller did a Q&A on another Alabama board and said he sees himself more of a drop-back passer. That appears to differ from other comments, though, so I take them as him pleasing the audience.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Points in turn:

(1) Not really surprised by us missing on Dormady. Would have loved to have landed him, but he has a much quicker path to playing time at Tennessee, and I think he's smart enough to realize they made him a higher priority than we did. I would have been happy to have him, but it's not a surprise that he went elsewhere.

(2) I think we view Waller as a raw kid who nevertheless has the physical skill set necessary to play quarterback in a pro-style scheme (i.e. long frame and good arm). That is not to say that he couldn't project to another scheme, or to say that it would necessarily be a quick acclimation process to a pro-style scheme, but again we are looking more for a developmental type this year anyway. Rawness aside, I think the staff would largely be happy just to get someone of Waller's natural ability on campus in this class, hence our overtures. I just don't think it will happen, and I tend to imagine he goes somewhere that exploits dual-threat QBs more than we do.

Last edited:

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Nice to see that we made his top four and that he is coming to Tuscaloosa on a visit, but again I'm not getting my hopes up too high here. I do find it interesting that he still lists Ohio State as a contender, although it seemed he would move on from them after they took another QB commitment (although from a not-heavily recruited prospect).

Will say, though, very eclectic mix here for a top four. Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and Northwestern? Not exactly a group you see every day for any kid, much less one out of southern California.

FWIW, I still say Oregon is where he really wants to be.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

Nice to see that we made his top four and that he is coming to Tuscaloosa on a visit, but again I'm not getting my hopes up too high here. I do find it interesting that he still lists Ohio State as a contender, although it seemed he would move on from them after they took another QB commitment (although from a not-heavily recruited prospect).

Will say, though, very eclectic mix here for a top four. Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and Northwestern? Not exactly a group you see every day for any kid, much less one out of southern California.

FWIW, I still say Oregon is where he really wants to be.
As of right now (before his visit), I'd bet he goes to ND. Getting him on campus is a huge plus and we'll see where that goes.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Just to update the file, Waller is in Tuscaloosa right now on an unofficial visit.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Per various reports, Waller has committed to Oregon. I had been speculating for a while that Eugene was where he really wanted to go if they would give him an offer, and it looks like that was indeed the case.

Barnett to Alabama really changed things for Oregon, so consider his commitment to 'Bama a boon for Waller. Oregon's top choice was Barnett, but when he committed to Alabama, apparently their staff figured they should pounce on someone else instead of waiting to see if Barnett may renege again.

FWIW, this is probably good news for 'Bama, too. Oregon was probably our biggest threat to flip Barnett, so it helps us a bit.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Based on everything Barnett and his family said he was very solid to us so I was not concerned with a flip. While Barnett has been branded a dual threat QB by the services he considers himself a pro-style QB who can run. Glad Waller got his offer and committed to the Ducks.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
If both kids stick with their commitment each school is getting a great qb. A little off the subject but I would love to see us play a home and home with the ducks. I know we have been looking to add some good future teams down the road. It seems like the match up with them is overdue anyway. Maybe these to qb's could square off.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.