Link: Massive sinkhole on the field at Austin Peay football field in Tennessee

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
There was a massive sinkhole on the football field at Austin Peay yesterday. That can only mean one thing. Phil Fulmer has returned to coaching. :biggrin2:

Massive sinkhole appears on college football field

A 40-foot-wide sinkhole opened up during construction at the Austin Peay State University football field in Clarksville, Tenn. on Monday afternoon, according to reports in The Tennessean newspaper and other outlets.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Too bad they didn't have a game scheduled with the Barn when this hole opened up. :biggrin2:

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
There was a comment in the article that I agree with..There's high school stadiums in Texas that's bigger than this, heck, there some bigger & nicer stadiums in Alabama bigger than that..And nicer actually..Here's a pic of Oxford High School's football stadium & it actually looks like a small university stadium cause it's one of the nicer stadiums in Alabama..Oxford has invested a lot of $$$ in the school & stadium that's for sure....I think it sits more than Austin Peay's Stadium..

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
They may have stadium issues, but they have the best cheer in sports.

LET'S GO PEAY!!!!!!
LET'S GO PEAY!!!!!!
LET'S GO PEAY!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That part of TN is underlaid by karst (fractured limestone) under a relatively thin layer of soil. Limestone is, of course, water soluble (hence caves). A sinkhole is normally just a collapsed cavern. Madison county is also underlaid (for the most part) by karst, which is why the national headquarters of the Speleological Society is here (on Cave Avenue). In fact, the annual concert held in the Three Caves at the top of Fagan Springs Dr. is this week, I believe. As you go north in Madison County, the soil layer thins until it's impossible even to think about driving an 8' ground rod at the TN line. Karst, though water soluble is hard, really hard. On Monte Sano, being part of the Cumberland Plateau, we're underlaid by sandstone, with varying depths of soil. On my three acres, I have one area, by my shop, where I'm supposed to have 8' of soil. I spent some time this afternoon trying to drive an 8' ground rod for my generator. No luck. 6.5' was it, and I was happy.

All this to say that a sinkhole in that part of TN is far from surprising. OTOH, we should be careful about laughing prematurely. Our stadium is underlaid by a large aquifer. A collapse is far from impossible...

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
They may have stadium issues, but they have the best cheer in sports.

LET'S GO PEAY!!!!!!
LET'S GO PEAY!!!!!!
LET'S GO PEAY!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually, South Carolina and Jacksonville St. are the only ones that have a better cheer. But I'm not going to post it or else I will get banned from this site. ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.