Detroit Lions Move Michael Williams to Offensive Tackle

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Story Here

Michael Williams switched positions early in his Alabama career and he'll do the same heading into his second year with the Detroit Lions.

The former Crimson Tide tight end is shifting one spot over and making the move to tackle, the Lions announced Wednesday. He'll wear No. 73.

Williams broke his hand during last year's preseason and was placed on injured reserve, preventing him from seeing the field during his rookie year. He's currently listed at 6-foot-5 and 278 pounds.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Interesting. I wonder if he'll be an extra tackle in a jumbo package or be a tackle eligible guy for trick plays. I don't see him as being big enough or polished enough to be the everyday tackle.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Given how wide-open the NFL has become in the passing game -- which is especially true for the Lions, with Stafford, Johnson, Tate, Bush, and now the recently-drafted Ebron -- this is probably his only real chance of sticking around long-term in the NFL. I imagine he does pretty well at it, too, because quite frankly we essentially just used him as an added OT in Tuscaloosa anyway.

Good news for Williams is that, since he was on IR last year, he can spend this year on the practice squad, if necessary, to make to the transition.

Last edited:

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Given how wide-open the NFL has become in the passing game -- which is especially true for the Lions, with Stafford, Johnson, Tate, Bush, and now the recently-drafted Ebron -- this is probably his only real chance of sticking around long-term in the NFL. I imagine he does pretty well at it, too, because quite frankly we essentially just used him as an added OT in Tuscaloosa anyway.

Good news for Williams is that, since he was on IR last year, he can spend this year on the practice squad, if necessary, to make to the transition.
And a year on the practice squad would still pay him six figures at a minimum.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Here's to hoping this young man is making some sound financial decisions to take care of him and his family on down the line. He's getting paid to do something he's worked a long time at. Don't see that it will ever be in the multi-million/year range, but he's still making a lot of money playing a game that could take care of him for a very long time if he doesn't squander it.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
And a year on the practice squad would still pay him six figures at a minimum.
Not exactly sure how payment will work in this deal.

The practice squad minimum is $6,000 per week, and though teams will occasionally pay more than that to entice some players to sign, money spent on practice squad players is applied against the salary cap, so no one gets much more than the $6,000. Even so, if you can stay on the practice squad for an entire year at the minimum amount, that is $102,000 in salary. Not huge money, but definitely more than these guys could make in the private sector, and obviously you have the opportunity to develop and earn far more NFL-income in the future.

The issue I'm not sure about here, though, is that under NFL rules players who have previously been on active rosters for less than one year are entitled to earn the league minimum salary, which is something around $400,000. Williams spent all of last year on IR, but players can be on IR and still be listed on the active roster. If that was the case with Williams, he'll earn a good bit more this time around even if he doesn't make the team.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Could be a very good move for MW. He was a better blocking TE than a receiving threat. I don't follow the NFL very closely but I assume that TE's are evolving more into bigger WR's than a extra blocker for the run game so if he can stick at T, even as a backup, then this is a good move for him.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Interesting. I wonder if he'll be an extra tackle in a jumbo package or be a tackle eligible guy for trick plays. I don't see him as being big enough or polished enough to be the everyday tackle.
I don't know. A guy from my home town was a TE in college playing at probably 6'5" and 235. San Diego drafted him, put some added muscle on him and switched him to left tackle. He played for, I think, 13 years with San Diego. Some of that time Coryell was the coach and Fouts was the QB.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Well he was always a really big guy anyways. Good for him. OT's get payed way more than TE's do. Man he was such a great blocker at Alabama. I'll never forget him catching that TD pass over Te'o.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I don't know. A guy from my home town was a TE in college playing at probably 6'5" and 235. San Diego drafted him, put some added muscle on him and switched him to left tackle. He played for, I think, 13 years with San Diego. Some of that time Coryell was the coach and Fouts was the QB.
Coryell and Fouts? That's a long time ago, BB. The game has changed a lot since then. The single biggest change is that, whereas there was once a huge tradeoff between speed and weight -- as in, if you weighed more than 270 pounds, you were almost by definition slow. That's no longer the case.

A 278 pound NFL tackle will get manhandled AND outflanked today. Here's hoping Williams puts on another 30+ pounds of muscle.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.