News Article: USA Today on FSU's handling of Winston and his problems off field...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't see where Allie's picked this up yet. It's an interesting outside viewpoint on the Winston problem, which, IMO, is only going to blossom. I don't know why the PTB at FSU can't see the future...

LINK

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've see and posted a lot of J. W. articles lately....makes you wonder why he's still a Heisman candidate. SMH BTW this is in the LBN now, with cred thanks! :smile:
I appreciate all that you do for us. That's why I check your blog before I pull an article out. In this case, I thought this was more pertinent than some of the stuff written about him because Brennan is a nationally-known and respected columnist without a southern viewpoint...

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
(From the link)
"This sad story of the enablement, entitlement and abandonment of Winston has its authors: former FSU president Eric Barron, now at Penn State; interim president Garnett Stokes; athletics director Stan Wilcox; and football coach Jimbo Fisher.
Those are the people who have done what they wanted for themselves and their football program, while doing almost nothing for an immature young athlete who so desperately needed the ethical guidance and moral leadership they never supplied."

And not to mention the young lady that claimed being 'taken advantage of' in December of 2012. Another victim of 'Football star privilege and entitlement'. When will justice, one way or the other, rear it's head for her?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Good article but actually nothing new. When it is all about the money, which translates into winning, nothing else matters. I have no expectations that anyone even remotely involved with FSU will take a stand. Pretty much the MO of American society in general these days.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I may be wrong but I cannot believe that the alumni, fans, supporters and coaches of our program would allow something like this to happen. At least I hope we would not stand for anything like this.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
When I was a kid I used to ask my dad, why don't Freshmen get Heismans?

With JF and now JW, you find out why certain walls are built when you tear them down. Truly, people are responsible for their own actions, no doubt but it does make you wonder if getting a Heisman didn't contribute to hurting these guys' characters when it's obvious they weren't ready for that bright of a spotlight just yet. <shruggs>

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I don't know why the PTB at FSU can't see the future...
I don't think it's that they can't see the future, but instead that they can and have made a conscious decision to act as they have. And for what it's worth, they are probably right.

With all due respect to those on here who might hold a degree from there, the bottom line on FSU is this: It's a marginal-at-best academic institution, and basically a run-of-the-mill public university. They have almost zero national presence, and can't really compete with Florida and other schools for the top rising students from within the state. And, as such, for better or for worse they are heavily reliant on the success of the football team to both generate recognition for the university and to drive student enrollment.

I think they basically look at a guy like Winston -- and all other well-known lawbreaking football players at the school that came before him -- and say that winning for them exceeds any detrimental impact from keeping guys like that around. If their choice is to win big with those characters, or perhaps not win as bad without them, I think on their end they view it as a relatively easy choice.

Frankly, there is nothing going on today at Florida State that hasn't been going on there for the past 30 years. I know Bobby Bowden loves to project himself now as the lovable, grandfatherly good ol' boy, but the fact of the matter is he would have fielded a whole roster of parolees had they been good enough to win big. His entire career was nothing if not enabling talented-yet-troubled players and ignoring off-field behavior (criminal or otherwise) for players who could produce on Saturday. For better or for worse, FSU has long ago decided that this type of thing is absolutely kosher in Tallahassee. To me, this is just a continuation of a longstanding status quo.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I suggest everyone read The System by Jeff Benedict and Armen Keteyian. As frustrating and upsetting as the Winston saga is, it's the norm in college football throughout the country.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I may be wrong but I cannot believe that the alumni, fans, supporters and coaches of our program would allow something like this to happen. At least I hope we would not stand for anything like this.
I have been sickened to watch the way their fans have reacted to this. Almost as sick as the way Penn State fans reacted during the Sandusky scandal.

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
I have been sickened to watch the way their fans have reacted to this. Almost as sick as the way Penn State fans reacted during the Sandusky scandal.
Yes - I know we all have our Updyke's in the closet but FSU and PSU seemed to pretty much collectively circle the wagons. The FSU reaction did not at all surprise me, the Penn State reaction did.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yes - I know we all have our Updyke's in the closet but FSU and PSU seemed to pretty much collectively circle the wagons. The FSU reaction did not at all surprise me, the Penn State reaction did.
Penn State was a surprise. But I reckon their entire identity was wrapped up in Joe Paterno and they couldn't see through that.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
(From the link)
"This sad story of the enablement, entitlement and abandonment of Winston has its authors: former FSU president Eric Barron, now at Penn State; interim president Garnett Stokes; athletics director Stan Wilcox; and football coach Jimbo Fisher.
Those are the people who have done what they wanted for themselves and their football program, while doing almost nothing for an immature young athlete who so desperately needed the ethical guidance and moral leadership they never supplied."

And not to mention the young lady that claimed being 'taken advantage of' in December of 2012. Another victim of 'Football star privilege and entitlement'. When will justice, one way or the other, rear it's head for her?
Between the misconduct by the University, its athletic department, the Tallahassee PD, and Winston himself, that young lady has a big payday coming.

The standard of proof for a civil action is a lot lower than for a criminal one. Maybe Winston should consult OJ Simpson on how that works before they're neighbors.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
When I was a kid I used to ask my dad, why don't Freshmen get Heismans?

With JF and now JW, you find out why certain walls are built when you tear them down. Truly, people are responsible for their own actions, no doubt but it does make you wonder if getting a Heisman didn't contribute to hurting these guys' characters when it's obvious they weren't ready for that bright of a spotlight just yet. <shruggs>

Maybe so, but remember that Winston was the same age as mark Ingram when they won the heisman, so it's not just some one being a certain age or not. It's about how they are raised and the environment they are in, and the choices they make. There is a reason marks family wanted him to play for Saban because they knew Saban would do more than make mark the best players he could be, but that he'd also help him be the best person he could be.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.