Valuing ($$$) college quarterbacks to their programs. AJ gets dissed again.

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
I think it is saying that the Tide would only have lost 2.3 more games without AJ. We lost 2 games with AJ I don't think we would have lost more than 4 if AJ had not played. I think they did over value Winston. FSU would have won most of their games without him with their schedule especially if Coker was available to QB the team

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I think it is defining their value to each particular school - DP is worth a ton to MSU if he stays healthy. I think whoever put this together thinks that Bama had so many "valuable" players, that somehow they would diminish AJ's overall value. JMO
Otherwise it doesn't make much sense to me.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I get the sense many people think we could have plugged any of our backup qb's in there and still had relatively the same success. There's no way that happens. Not even remotely close. AJ was a big reason why we had the success we did over the last three years.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
The main thing that would silence these 'disses' is for AJ to produce in the next level. Produce, and there will be a vast reduction in crows in America as they will have been eaten. This would please me to no end. But it's all in AJ's side of the field now.

Roll AJ and Tide...Roll!

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
Did you watch A Day? I'm not so sure about that statement. If Coker turns out to not be all he is being hyped up to be then I'm afraid we are going to go through some growning pains. We have some great running backs but even last year we didn't do so well running the ball when the other team knew we were going to and until the line gels it is probably going to be more of the same. I think we have the talent a qb to replace him at some point, just not sure how long that will take. I think AJ was responsible for more wins than he is being given credit for...

I think it is saying that the Tide would only have lost 2.3 more games without AJ. We lost 2 games with AJ I don't think we would have lost more than 4 if AJ had not played. I think they did over value Winston. FSU would have won most of their games without him with their schedule especially if Coker was available to QB the team

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Well the way I'm reading this is that a major factor in this study was increased wins during the QB's tenure vs the average wins the school had prior to the QB's arrival. Obviously, with a limited ceiling (13/14 wins are the max for a season) Alabama had little room to grow since we were already winning most of our games. This is why JW of FSU was valued so high. FSU wins for 2013 jumped over recent years/ IMHO, this places too high of a value on the QB for college games. NFL games, sure....but in CFB you can win with a sub par QB if you can run and play defense (Jay barker, anyone?).

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
Most of these armchair, jock-sniffing, sportswriter wannabes living in their mommy's basement that have never played a down of football and whose highest athletic injury risk is spraining their thumb on an XBox controller base their complete understanding of sports on physical talent of athletes and tactical schemes by coaching staffs. They are completely ignorant of any factor that can't be displayed on a status bar on the bottom of the video game or that isn't reflected in fantasy stats. They probably can't spell the word intangible and it isn't likely to be even an introductory member of their lexicon. Their definition of a leader was the first one to get Madden 2013. When they hear the word "drive", they wonder how many X-Men movies they can download to it.

in the tiny minds of these people, the sum of the whole is never greater than the sum of its parts. In their myopic eyes, putting the 11 most talented guys at each position on the field always produces the best team on the field. Performance doesn't completely correlate to talent (at least athletic talent) and there are a plethora of examples that prove it. Many of the most successful people in all areas prosper on intangibles when the most obvious and quantifiable factors suggest that they should be middling or even failures.

Dwight D. Eisenhower had a less than stellar record at West Point and ended up graduating in the middle of his class. He was denied multiple requests for positions in oversea posts prior to and during WWI until just before the end of the war. He did not make it "over there" however because the armistice was signed just before he was to leave. During the interwar years, his only active command was over a battalion at Fort Benning and most of his career was spent in staff positions under other officers. After WWII started, Chief of Staff George C. Marshall recognized the ability of Eisenhower and quickly he rose through the ranks, passing much more "talented" generals. He was disrespected by most of these as well as the British generals because of his lack of high level command experience. He wasn't the tactical superstar like Patton, the soldier's favorite like Bradley, or the commanding presence like Montgomery. He was the successful mediator that kept them all in check because he just had the right mix of the right stuff for the job.

McCarron had just enough arm, just enough accuracy, just enough mobility, just enough swagger, just enough command presence, just enough self-discipline, and just enough competitive spirit to make him the right fit for the position at Alabama. There are more talented QBs, but winners often have some quality that isn't obvious to the short-sighted and small-minded and that is why so many of those considered "can't miss" players fail.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Most of these armchair, jock-sniffing, sportswriter wannabes living in their mommy's basement that have never played a down of football and whose highest athletic injury risk is spraining their thumb on an XBox controller base their complete understanding of sports on physical talent of athletes and tactical schemes by coaching staffs. They are completely ignorant of any factor that can't be displayed on a status bar on the bottom of the video game or that isn't reflected in fantasy stats. They probably can't spell the word intangible and it isn't likely to be even an introductory member of their lexicon. Their definition of a leader was the first one to get Madden 2013. When they hear the word "drive", they wonder how many X-Men movies they can download to it.

in the tiny minds of these people, the sum of the whole is never greater than the sum of its parts. In their myopic eyes, putting the 11 most talented guys at each position on the field always produces the best team on the field. Performance doesn't completely correlate to talent (at least athletic talent) and there are a plethora of examples that prove it. Many of the most successful people in all areas prosper on intangibles when the most obvious and quantifiable factors suggest that they should be middling or even failures.

Dwight D. Eisenhower had a less than stellar record at West Point and ended up graduating in the middle of his class. He was denied multiple requests for positions in oversea posts prior to and during WWI until just before the end of the war. He did not make it "over there" however because the armistice was signed just before he was to leave. During the interwar years, his only active command was over a battalion at Fort Benning and most of his career was spent in staff positions under other officers. After WWII started, Chief of Staff George C. Marshall recognized the ability of Eisenhower and quickly he rose through the ranks, passing much more "talented" generals. He was disrespected by most of these as well as the British generals because of his lack of high level command experience. He wasn't the tactical superstar like Patton, the soldier's favorite like Bradley, or the commanding presence like Montgomery. He was the successful mediator that kept them all in check because he just had the right mix of the right stuff for the job.

McCarron had just enough arm, just enough accuracy, just enough mobility, just enough swagger, just enough command presence, just enough self-discipline, and just enough competitive spirit to make him the right fit for the position at Alabama. There are more talented QBs, but winners often have some quality that isn't obvious to the short-sighted and small-minded and that is why so many of those considered "can't miss" players fail.
Substitute the name Trammell there and you would be describing another great QB we were privileged to have lead our team, once upon a time. The two just won games.

uafootball92

1st Team
Sep 21, 2005
St. Charles, Missouri
Maybe I'm off, but wouldn't this be a good thing for Alabama? Yah it's a little bit of a diss at McCarron, but him affecting less of our wins would mean that we as a team are that much better, that we could do without him and still be well off?

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Not really a suprise, since they're using the ESPN QBR rating. You get bonus points for running the ball, and AJ never had a need to run.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.